Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: home birth moms

I say educate yourself as much as possible on natural birth and what happens to your body. It really helped me to know what my body was doing and why. My 2 favorite books were "Childbirth withour fear" by Grantly Dic*-Read and "Supernatural Childbirth" by Jackie Mize. They really helped me to feel confident in my body and like I could handle anything. I wish I had read them before my first 2 babies.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

I agree with all the PP. Have confidence in yourself. I also waited to admit i was in labor to myself. And when things got intense i kept saying in my head "this is pressure not pain" then when i got transition i kept saying in my head "this is normal, i am strong, we're okay" over and over.
Counter pressure was my best friend for pain management. DH gave me hip squeeze, then eventually i got to the bath tub and swayed back and forth. I kept moving even though i wanted to freeze and it helped alot.
I felt LESS pain than my hospital birth because I was in control, i was relaxed and i was not scared. I would do it all over again in a heart beat!
GOOD LUCK and congrats!!!

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I pretend that I am not in labor until I can't do that anymore. I lie down, walk around, go for a walk, eat, make a cake, vacuum, and when I can't do those things anymore I get in the labor/birth pool and have baby soon after. I don't time contraxs and I turn the clocks around so I am not focusing on the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I agree with this!!!!

I personally found my pain to be worse in the hospital than at home. And a lot of that was caused by fear of the unknown (it was my 1st LO), and being in an unfamiliar place, with total strangers.

In the hospital, my experience was that once you are admitted, you have NOTHING (literally!) to do besides sit and wait, concentrate on feeling the contractions, and check the clock constantly. There's nothing else going on. Everything around you reminds you that you are in labor, and that everyone is waiting on you, your body, and your baby to finish up the job that it's started. The nurses keep checking on you, the OBs want to check to see if you are dialting, etc. IMO, that is a lot of pressure to put on a laboring woman, and it adds undue stress, and it also makes the pain worse.

When I was at home, I moved around where I wanted to. I pretended I wasn't in labor until there was no denying it. I walked and piddled around washing dishes, playing with my DD, sleeping, folding laundry, watching TV, cleaning, etc. Although I knew in the back of my brain that labor had started, there was no pressure to hurry up. No one was checking on me constantly to see my progress. I could go about my day as usual, and just knew in the back of my mind that I would meet my baby soon. I didn't need to focus on the contractions b/c I had other things to do and think about.

Besides that, I highly HIGHLY recommend a birthing tub. The greatest pain releif for the most painful part of labor was in the warm water. It is AMAZING the difference between laboring on land and laboring in water during that final stage.

Yes, yes, yes to these! Not focusing on the clock and keeping myself distracted made the early part of labor pretty easy. Then when I had to focus on the contractions (this is also a good time to call the midwives - not when contractions are xxx minutes apart but when you have to focus to get through them), I found that moving around and listening to my body was the best way to find comfortable positions. I ended up moving around quite a bit. I just did whatever felt right.

Probably the best thing I did to control the pain was to vocalize through contractions. I would focus on relaxing my jaw and shoulders and making a low "ooouuuhhh" sound. Then I would just move and sway and vocalize to the crest of the contraction. I figured that all I had to do was make it to the top of the contraction and then it was easy to go back down the other side of the wave. I tried to live in the moment - there was no reason to worry about the next contraction or the next - only the contraction I was living through in the moment.

Good luck mama! You can do it! My home birth was the most amazing and empowering experience of my life.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
findingstrength
Registered Users

with my first I was in labor 22 hours. With my second I staid home a long time, wasn't even sure I was in labor, got to the hospital at 7 cm and had a baby about an hour and thirty minutes later. That was my best labor experience. Every one after wasn't horrible.......I just hate that I put time and planning into how I want to birth, go with birth plan in hand and end up laboring in bed, strapped to a monitor, on my back, until its time to push in the dreaded lithotomy position.

Its my birth, its my pain, its my coping, its my baby. IDK why it has to be all regulation to "the good of the hospital procedures."
Mom/stepmom to 8 beautiful children 16 yr old girl, 12 yr old girl, 9 yr old boy, another 9 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 4 year old boy, 1 year old boy, expecting #9 in July!

ISO: size 3x maternity swimsuit
findingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stayed on my feet mostly. I told DH to remind me during transition when I would doubt myself that transition means I'm almost done. So he did and it really wasn't that bad.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
MrsLovewell
Registered Users
seller
seller

I HATED the birth ball when I was in labor...my husband tried to make me sit on it while I was having contractions and I felt like punching him in the face We went through Bradley classes and I did well until about the 24th hour of labor. I was seriously tired. We were in the hospital and my OB didn't like that I wasn't progressing so I agreed to let her break my water. After another 10 hours of labor I was only at a 7-8ish so the OB wanted to put me on pitocin.

I'll just say that you're smart to not be having your baby at the hospital since you want a natural birth! I learned my lesson and we'll be going that way the next time around Good luck mama!

"Like" my Facebook page
MrsLovewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hip rolls, yall!!! And COUNTERPRESSURE!!! My boyfriend was probably in just about as much pain as I was, overextending himself, bent over, in some funky position over the pool and pushing as hard as he could against the small of my back!

I totally agree about using a mantra to talk yourself through it. So many women have done this before for a bazillion years. No reason we can't keep on keepin on!!

I read ACTIVE BIRTH by Janet Balaskas and loved it. I like science-izing everything, so if I can look at it rationally/logically, and understand what's really happening biologically, there's no need to get panicked. So, what is important to me is knowing that pain is not NEGATIVE. It's just my body communicating with me. So I can read the communication, and respond appropriately. Another thing to remember is that our bodies are fantastic at self-healing. So, we will produce whatever hormone we need to get through it. AND we'll forget just how painful it was later on. I'm currently in some deluded state and think having another kid would be just grand, but I can guarantee you that I though another child was probably the worst idea ever during contractions. Haha! Also, coming from a quasi-buddhist perspective: accept the pain. Fighting against what IS doesn't work. If you accept what is happening - the pain - then it really isn't pain, it just is what it is. Breath, moan, sing, and trust that your body will tune into it's primal instincts (because it will!). And get a good DJ - one who can read your moods and put on something good.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Ambystoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heat pads!!! I had to have one of those rice sac things on my lower back (and eventually another on my lower front of my uterus) the whole active labor.

Also, having my doula and DH keep me from starting to yell or try to talk while the contractions were coming really close together--they would remind me to keep breathing instead. Focusing on just breathing in and out was essential for me--and so much less intense than talking or screaming during a contraction. I also go into a lala labor land pretty early into active labor, so I need more direction or I'll (literally) wander outside into the street so YMMV.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #19
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My biggest advice is just to educate yourself and don't fear birth. Once labor started, I started to get nervous because I wasn't breathing how I was taught, I couldn't visulize, ect. and I thought it would mess me up if I didn't follow "the rules" of birthing. The fact is - there are no rules. Once I breathed my own way, moved my own way, and did my own thing labor got SO much easier and moved a lot quicker. I just completely had to let my body take over. Be mentally prepared for labor, and you'll do great The Business of Being Born is a great movie to watch, and The Birth Partner was my favorite book, both very inspirational!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
My biggest advice is just to educate yourself and don't fear birth.
Exactly! I meant to bring up fear in my other post. When I read about what actually happens during labor, and I accept that pain is communication, there really is nothing to fear. I also looked at it as an inevitable. I mean, the baby's gotta come out, right?!