Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #31
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: home birth moms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Adams View Post
This was just too funni-ly put to not comment on...lol....
I LOLed too. It is so true!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
findingstrength
Registered Users

Lol! Yes, I told my little teen cousin who was pregnant when she said I don't know how to labor.......that her "body already knows for you!"
Mom/stepmom to 8 beautiful children 16 yr old girl, 12 yr old girl, 9 yr old boy, another 9 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 4 year old boy, 1 year old boy, expecting #9 in July!

ISO: size 3x maternity swimsuit
findingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #33
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think its important if you educate yourself on WHY there is pain and believe there is a purpose to it that shouldnt be fought. The hormones that are involved during labor, fear-tension cycle and how fear releases adrenaline and that adrenaline stifles endorphins. I dont think the goal is to have a pain-free labor but knowing ahead of time tools to use that minimize pain.

Great tools for reducing pain are visual therapy, music, hydrotherapy, massage, acupressure, essential oils, counter pressure, etc.

Here are some great articles to read:
Comfort Measures for Labor
Ecstatic Birth: Hormonal Blueprint for Labor
Your Hormones are Your Helpers

An excellent book to read is Transformation Through Birth by Panthos and Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Buckley
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #34
Cjolley
Registered Users
seller

I delivered my first naturally at the hospital, and the best advice I took was to NOT fight the pain!! Let your body experience it and breathe naturally through the contractions. Usually when we get hurt and feel pain, we tense up and try to fight it because it's not natural. Yet, with labor and delivery, it is natural and we shouldn't fight against it. That really helped me so much and has helped in other times I've experienced pain since then, too.
I'm about to give birth within a couple of weeks to my third and unfortunately will be in the hospital, but my doc has been amazingly supportive of my desires for natural labor and is just going to be there "just in case." She is letting me do everything I want. Next time, I do hope for a home birth though!
Anyway, I have been looking into the Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth and it seems really helpful….just in their relaxation techniques, breathing, husband participation and all that. There were no classes near me, so I've just been researching it on my own and reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon. It was revised in 1996, and of course there's been lots of changes since then, but I still think it's been helpful!
I haven't read through all these comments, but will try to finish them soon…the ones so far have been helpful to me, too!
Cjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #35
nursekatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did hypnobirthing the last time and was at home until 9 cm. We then went to the hospital and I really wish that we had just delivered at home the last time because the contractions were more painful and my labour stalled a bit once we got to the hospital.

I'm so happy that were planning on delivering at home in a birthing tub this time and I know it will be easier and more comfortable being at home.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #36
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingstrength View Post
Lol! Yes, I told my little teen cousin who was pregnant when she said I don't know how to labor.......that her "body already knows for you!"
Now, if I can just remember this during labor...

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Oh, and I wanted to add, something that helped me get through my last two labors, was to constantly remind myself of a few things... I would just say these things over and over to myself in the worst parts of labor....

"Women all over the earth have been doing this with no medication for eons of time. YOU are no different. If they can do it, so can you."

"Pain - by itself - will NOT kill you. It hurts, but you are NOT dying, and you are not in danger. It's just pain. That's all it is. Don't make it more than it is. Don't try to change it, don't give it power over you, just accept it. It's just pain. It's not scary."

(I don't know why that is reassuring to me in labor - maybe b/c I normally equate pain to something being wrong? lol I dunno but I remember saying that over and over in my head for my last birth and it made me feel way more controlled.)

"This is temporary. It's not going to last forever. It's going to be over soon. You're almost there. Not much longer."
This is exactly what I did. I laid in the tub and just said "there are millions of women out there RIGHT NOW doing the exact same thing you're doing right now! You are not alone." It really helped.

My balance ball help early on, after that, lots of time in the nice warm tub.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #38
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post
Heat pads!!! I had to have one of those rice sac things on my lower back (and eventually another on my lower front of my uterus) the whole active labor.

Also, having my doula and DH keep me from starting to yell or try to talk while the contractions were coming really close together--they would remind me to keep breathing instead. Focusing on just breathing in and out was essential for me--and so much less intense than talking or screaming during a contraction. I also go into a lala labor land pretty early into active labor, so I need more direction or I'll (literally) wander outside into the street so YMMV.
Is it safe to have a heating pad on your lower uterus?? That was where I had the most pain with my DD. I didnt have much back pain but man, right under my tummy was horrible! I was dying for a heating pad but was afraid the heat there would hurt the baby??
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #39
findingstrength
Registered Users

its okay as long as its off and on and doesn't raise your temp.
Mom/stepmom to 8 beautiful children 16 yr old girl, 12 yr old girl, 9 yr old boy, another 9 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 4 year old boy, 1 year old boy, expecting #9 in July!

ISO: size 3x maternity swimsuit
findingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #40
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

good to know!
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote