Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing in public

So I am all for nursing my DD in public. Always covered up with a blanket. Well now DD will throw a fit when I cover up with a blanket and won't eat as well. Now I really don't care if any one sees my breast because I am using it to feed my child I am just self concious about my stomach. I mean its not THAT bad but I have had 2 kids and it just doesn't look like it did pre babies. Any suggestions on good ways to NIP with a squirmy babe?

Advertisement

MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing in public

i've noticed that my baby covers my belly, if not i tuck a blanket under her.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd does the same thing. She will constantly push the blanket off. I now use a pf. It covers just enough of what needs to be covered yet she does not feel completely isolated. To hide my belly I wear t-shirts and tank tops that have easy access to boobs from neck line. Low v-necks or stretchy tanks work best. I just pull it out from the top and place pf over dd and bare shoulder. This work great for us! Good luck.
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sit in front of a mirror and latch your baby on...you'd be surprised how little belly is actually exposed. I know it *feels* very exposed, but the baby actually covers most of it. I have a few different styles of nursing tops from Motherhood Maternity but there are only a couple of them that I really like, the rest are more trouble than they're worth IMO! Layered tops are a thought though. There's also something called a belly band (I think that's it). I saw it on several of the Diaperhunt sites. Just a ring of t-shirt material that goes around your waist under your top. That way, when you pull your shirt up to nurse, your belly is still covered. Also helps keep your pants up during that transition time when they don't fasten right!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

When I still had a baby-belly I liked to wear button up shirts over a tank top and then the button up shirt covered any belly that seemed to hang out.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went to Hancock and bought some jersey knit fabric. It comes in a tube. I just cut pieces long enough to go from the bottom of my bra to just past my waist band of my pants. Now when I pull my shirt up, there's something there to cover my belly! I still have some fabric (some off-white and some heather gray) left if you want me to cut you one. They're great for nursing and for pregnant bellies - for wearing under any shirt that's too short! I love nursing tops, but can't wear enough to eliminate the problem of belly hang-out, so this was my solution. If you want to go more "high-tech" there's an actual product called the Belly Hugger. They're tighter and made of a different fabric. I wanted something cheaper and more breathable.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use the belly huggers when nursing in public. My biggest issue was always my stomach as well. It just doesn't look like it used to. You might also look at shirts with stretch necks or the cross over (like alot of maternity shirts have) so you can nurse without pulling your shirt up.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a bellyhugger for this reason!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

You can also just buy a couple tank tops and cut slits in them over your bbs and wear them under your shirts. (When you pull up your top to nurse you would see the tank and you can still get your bb out the slit... make sense? lol) I usually just pull up my shirt and latch her on and nothing shows enough to bother me. If you're having trouble with your babe getting distracted and popping off (thats always fun! lol) you could try a nursing necklace to keep him/ her ocupied. Good luck!
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
weddell
Registered Users
seller

I wear a nursing tank top under a t-shirt. This way I pull up the t-shirt to nurse and my stomach is covered by tank top. Since it is a nursing tank, I just undo the flap on the side I'm feeding on. Everything stays covered.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote