Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
looking ahead and wonder if it's doable...

Hi there,

So, baby #3 is due in a couple of weeks. I only EBF my first 2 until about 4.5-5 mos. I "thought" I had supply issues, but I am thinking it might have been more management issues. So, anyway, THIS time, I plan on trying to be more relaxed and take an "on-demand" approach, co-sleep, at least during the early weeks, and avoid bottles if at all possible. I really want to EBF for at least a year, or as long as baby wants. I am trying to maintain the mindset that I will do this and not question it or worry about it.

Before getting pg, I was training for triathlons (just sprint distance which is .75mile swim, 13 mile bike, 3.1mile run). I am really hoping to get back into that this summer after baby is born. I'm sure I'll be able to manage the timing of going for a run or bike ride easily. Just nurse baby, head out, and be back within a couple of hours to nurse again.

I was curious about how I might handle doing a race. There's one I'd like to do early September. I imagine I'd have to be away from baby for at least 4-6 hours. By then baby will be about 5.5 months old. I could possibly drag my whole family out there, nurse just before race and nurse as soon as I'm done. I would guess by 5 months, baby could go at least 3 hours between feedings.

Even if baby does get a bottle here or there by then, I'd wonder if by the time I was done, I would be in major pain from being so full. What do you ladies think? Got any tips for how I could manage it?

I don't want to go to bottles or formula just for the sake of some personal "freedom", but at the same time, I really enjoy racing and the stress-relieving exercise I get from training. Also, planning for races keeps me more motivated to keep up with my workouts.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Re: looking ahead and wonder if it's doable...

Congrats and good for you for wanting to try! If you ever feel you have low supply, do try nursing the baby more often and you should see your supply go up in a couple of days. Also, babies do have growth spurts often during this early age, so they're just eating more, not necessarily your low supply.

By 5.5 months if you go for that long, you won't lose your supply since your supply would be established by then. You *may* be uncomfortable at the end of the race, but just make sure you nurse just before it, and just make sure you either feed the baby one more time or pump another session sometime that day to make sure you are making enough again.

Good luck!
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

In my experience, you probably will feel pretty uncomfortably full after 4 to 6 hours at that point.

I think your choices would be to either hand express at the finish to relieve some pressure, or have baby there to nurse. I think having baby there waiting for you would be preferable, since hand expressing would require a lot more privacy than nursing would.

I used to run races before I got pregnant with my DD, and I really want to get back into it. I'll be right there with you. I think I'll just be choosing races that are close to home.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Len27
Registered Users
seller

My DS is 5.5 mos old now and at most he will go 4 hours, unless it's a 6 hr stretch at night. He also takes the odd bottle of expressed milk though. I think if you are aiming for racing, making sure he *can* take a bottle will be necessary. If you were only going to be gone 4 hours I think you'd be ok (full feeling, but ok) but if it were closer to 6 I would take a pump and pump off the milk.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote