Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
little hoot
Registered Users
seller

Prepping Grovia AIO

I bought the Grovia owl print last week and was so excited to get fluffy mail that I only washed and dried the diaper 3 times before I put it on DD. I only used it once and now it really smells. I've washed it twice since then and it still smells weird. I prepped it in warm water with a very small amount of Rockin Green. Did I not prep the diaper right? Also, it is already stained - I'll sun it this weekend but are cotton diapers prone to staining? I haven't had a problem with smell or staining with my BumGenius diapers. I really like the fit and want to love the diaper because it's so cute.

Advertisement

little hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prepping Grovia AIO

whoops.. im BAD then.. I washed it ONCE (Grovia brand new) and had my DS wear it, granted he only peed in it but it did just fine. totally want to see responses here. Now you have me wondering about my joey bunz inserts I ordered
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Littleredwhimsy
Registered Users
seller

I prepped in HOT water. I *think* that is what the package said to prep with and then wash in warm afterwards. It seems to take a good 6-10 washes to get it really absorbant. I only did about 4 the first time and had a leak or two, and prepped a couple more times and they work GREAT the more they are washed. As for the stains and smell? Hmmm. Cotton is prone to staining but the sun works wonders! Not sure about the smell... Mine do not smell but I use tide because of my hard water. Good luck. If you still have trouble, maybe contact the GroVia company.

Get great deals on diapers and other items through Mamasource

Will trade gnomes for diapers: www.littleredwhimsy.etsy.com
Littleredwhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
seacat
Registered Users
seller

It sounds (smells) like they are not getting clean. It doesn't sound like a prepping issue. How are you washing? GroVia stain like crazy however, they do sun out well and I've used Bac Out with success. I never had success with RNG getting dipes clean enough.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
cemetree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by little hoot View Post
I bought the Grovia owl print last week and was so excited to get fluffy mail that I only washed and dried the diaper 3 times before I put it on DD. I only used it once and now it really smells. I've washed it twice since then and it still smells weird. I prepped it in warm water with a very small amount of Rockin Green. Did I not prep the diaper right? Also, it is already stained - I'll sun it this weekend but are cotton diapers prone to staining? I haven't had a problem with smell or staining with my BumGenius diapers. I really like the fit and want to love the diaper because it's so cute.
natural cotton does stain easier than suedecloth which in inside BG diapers. you can try adding a fleece liner if it bothers you.. as for smell, i agree it sounds like it may not be getting fully clean. how much rockin green are you using when washing?
i started prepping my aio by adding a tsp of dawn in the washing machine with hot water.. then i washed it 2x more before using it. it is still not max absorbancy but you can use a non fully prepped diaper you just ahve to change more often.
cemetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
little hoot
Registered Users
seller

I guess I'm back to reading all about how to launder cloth and testing detergents. Thanks for the help.
little hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
cemetree
Registered Users
seller

you can try adding in a little more rockin green. i'm not sure if you have a top loader or front but i use 4 scoops in my top loader. of course, as much as i love rockin green and it works for me you can find many stories about it not working with other people's water. it is one of those detergents where sometimes it doesnt work well with people's water no matter which version of it you try. i use hard rock.
cemetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
EssentialGoodz
Registered Users
seller

i like tide free and gentle...a full cup of it in every load! I use the powdered version

Last edited by EssentialGoodz; 03-09-2011 at 11:11 PM.
EssentialGoodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I also use Tide.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote