View Poll Results: Should we shy away from using Kevin?
Yes, it's too similar. 8 6.40%
No, it's a different name, use it. 114 91.20%
Maybe, I'll explain. 1 0.80%
I have no opinion, but wanted to participate. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #31
Nickel+3's Avatar
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 4,026
My Mood:
Well anything would be better than my two cousins. They have the sane birthday, 3 years apart, and are both named Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone

Advertisement

__________________
Nickel - mama to boys D 09 and F 10 and my girl H 12
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #32
OneFishTwoFish's Avatar
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,644
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

Totally not a big deal. I would do it.

I am Kristina but everyone calls me Krissy or Kris. My cousin is Christopher. Sure, at family gatherings if someone yells Chris/Kris we both look but it's no big deal.
__________________
~Krissy
Wife to Bob, and mommy to Ben and Matt. Love my boys!
OneFishTwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #33
DalesWidda's Avatar
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Delavan, WI
Posts: 5,885
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

I have two cousins who are sisters named Shawn and Dawn and that was never a big deal to us.
__________________
Tanya mama to three wonderful girls
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #34
Cris1980's Avatar
Cris1980
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pearl City, HI
Posts: 115
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

Here is a situation. We decided on a name right away when we found out it was a boy. The name is Jacob. We told everyone!! Well 2 months before my delivery I found out that my husbands Aunt who was due a month before me, decided to name her son Jake. I was weirded by it at first but I am cool with it now. We do not live in close proximity so I think it should be fine.
Cris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
mulysa's Avatar
mulysa
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: grand haven MI
Posts: 130
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

Go for it. My sons name is River and my nephew is Riley (6mths apart). We also have my neice Aria and my teenage cousin is Mariah (we call her Riah).
__________________
Melissa wife to truck driving , stepmom to 10 year old girl , and mommy to 1 year old boy . We bf, cd, and co-sleep.
mulysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #36
mg5g
Self Ban
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,604
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

I would do it too.

In our extended family we have two Emma's. One is my neice, one is my step-cousin's daughter. Never been an issue.

Besides at big family things your DS is going to be called "kids come here" or whichever name happens to come out first. I have trouble with this and we only have three for a few more days. I am ALWAYS calling the kids the wrong names.

Also my neice's middle name is Elizabeth. That is probably going to be our DD's middle name too. (I mentioned it to my sister and I don't think she really cares, or if she does she didn't say anything about it.) Elizabeth is DH's Mom's name AND was his grandma's name too - she will be the one and only granddaughter his mom ever has that right there is enough of a reason for me to "share" the name with my neice.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #37
staceyroo77's Avatar
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 19,987
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

I'd use it, especially if it's not a big deal to your SIL. My name is Stacey and my cousin's name is Tracie. My Granny has always called me "Tracie, Stacey, whoever you are!". It's never bothered me and I have always found it entertaining. lol
__________________
Stacey, wife to Nic and mom to 4 girls, ages 9, 7, 5, 3, and baby boy born in October 2014!
My Fertility Friend Chart!
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #38
staceyroo77's Avatar
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 19,987
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
I would do it too.

In our extended family we have two Emma's. One is my neice, one is my step-cousin's daughter. Never been an issue.

Besides at big family things your DS is going to be called "kids come here" or whichever name happens to come out first. I have trouble with this and we only have three for a few more days. I am ALWAYS calling the kids the wrong names.

Also my neice's middle name is Elizabeth. That is probably going to be our DD's middle name too. (I mentioned it to my sister and I don't think she really cares, or if she does she didn't say anything about it.) Elizabeth is DH's Mom's name AND was his grandma's name too - she will be the one and only granddaughter his mom ever has that right there is enough of a reason for me to "share" the name with my neice.
DD#1's middle name is Nicole and my niece's (brother's daughter) middle name is also Nicole. DD#1's middle name comes from my DH's name Nicolas, and my niece's middle name comes from her mother's middle name which is also Nicole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie View Post
My in-laws just got a dog & named it Brian, even though that is in the top 5 of names on my boy list. So, yea, if we decide to go with it --the baby & the dog will share a name. (It's my #1, DH isn't as big of a fan.)

I told them we were considering it, but they still named the dog that.
Awww, don't worry about it, you are going to have a girl anyway! That's just my guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiSapphireJade View Post
I don't think it is too similar. I just named DS2 Elias and his cousin is named Elijah. I honestly didn't think the two names were that similar but his parent's freaked.
We are having a girl, but if we were having a boy his name would be Elias Aviad. I think that both names Elias and Elijah have the same meaning and both originate from the name Eliyahu (actual Hebrew form of Elijah?).
__________________
Stacey, wife to Nic and mom to 4 girls, ages 9, 7, 5, 3, and baby boy born in October 2014!
My Fertility Friend Chart!
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #39
My Sweet Blessings's Avatar
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 10,045
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyroo77 View Post
I'd use it, especially if it's not a big deal to your SIL. My name is Stacey and my cousin's name is Tracie. My Granny has always called me "Tracie, Stacey, whoever you are!". It's never bothered me and I have always found it entertaining. lol
My mom would do that with her kids... 5 of us. she'd get through 3 or 4 names before saying "you know who you are!" LOL Until I was 12, I was the only girl with 3 brothers. I still got called by my brother's names. When we got dogs, their names got added to the list.
__________________
Join Citrus Lane for a surprise box every month, cancel any time. First month $15
Join Swagbucks and earn free gift cards!
Check out 10DollarMall where everything is under $10 .. clothes, shoes, handbags, etc!
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #40
staceyroo77's Avatar
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 19,987
My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings View Post
My mom would do that with her kids... 5 of us. she'd get through 3 or 4 names before saying "you know who you are!" LOL Until I was 12, I was the only girl with 3 brothers. I still got called by my brother's names. When we got dogs, their names got added to the list.
That's too funny. I've just recently caught myself calling the girls by the wrong names a lot! It must be pregnancy brain or something.
__________________
Stacey, wife to Nic and mom to 4 girls, ages 9, 7, 5, 3, and baby boy born in October 2014!
My Fertility Friend Chart!

Last edited by staceyroo77; 03-13-2011 at 02:15 PM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.