View Poll Results: Should we shy away from using Kevin?
Yes, it's too similar. 8 6.40%
No, it's a different name, use it. 114 91.20%
Maybe, I'll explain. 1 0.80%
I have no opinion, but wanted to participate. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #41
browneyedgrl2411
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

I say go for it. My boys are Evan and Gavin and we do not have any confusion.

Advertisement

browneyedgrl2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #42
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #43
bootiecutie
Registered Users

In our family we have Alison, Alex, Sally, Allan. We use "Allie" as a nickname for Alison and Alex, and "Al" as a nickname for Alex and Allan. Then Sally rhymes with "Allie." We never have any idea who the phone is for when we're all in the same house together, or which "Al" we are talking about, but personally I don't mind. It just adds a little humor to everyday situations.
S, hippy-elitist-turned-semi-redneck mama to DD, 3, expecting #2 10/14/11
bootiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #44
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it's a big deal at all. Go with the name you LIKE.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #45
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My name is Francesca; my older cousin's name is Jessica. Very different looking in print, but you wouldn't believe how many people have thought my name is Fran-Jessica.

My parents considered naming me Cesca (sounds like cheska), but decided that WAS too similar to Jessica. Not that it would have really been a big deal, we've never lived very close to each other.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #46
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They aren't the same name, and even if they were, it's not a crime to like the same name as someone. I've got my future kids names already picked out, and if someone in my family, even if it was my sister, named their kids the same name I'm still going to use it. My future daughter will be Livia, and my sisters future daughter will be Olivia, neither one of us has a problem with that.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #47
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

if you like it use it. i see no problem w/it i have a cousin named justin & my sons name is austin.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #48
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would use it. Dh has a cousin in a different state who named her daughter a really pretty name and i am thinking about using it,if,when we ever have a girl
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #49
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm a big fan of using whatever name you like, even if it's the same as another family member's (though I wouldn't do this with siblings )

I have a really common name, and growing up, knew tons of people with the same name. None of them were cousins - but keep in mind that you can't avoid that sort of thing unless you pick something outlandish. You get used to it - or you start going by a nickname. We had three Mike-named boys in my class one year. One went by Michael, another by Mike, and the third by Mikey. It all worked out fine.

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #50
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I'm a big fan of using whatever name you like, even if it's the same as another family member's (though I wouldn't do this with siblings )

I have a really common name, and growing up, knew tons of people with the same name. None of them were cousins - but keep in mind that you can't avoid that sort of thing unless you pick something outlandish. You get used to it - or you start going by a nickname. We had three Mike-named boys in my class one year. One went by Michael, another by Mike, and the third by Mikey. It all worked out fine.
My Uncle was named Michael. He named each of his sons Michael. However, my uncle went by Mike and my cousins went by Mickey and Mikey (nope, not twins!) Honestly, to this day, I have no idea who is who Granted, I was never around them after the age of 10 on a regular basis (military moved us and then I just never really connected back with them as an adult). One of my cousins, no clue which one cause now he goes by Mike, I think, since his dad passed, found me on facebook the other day. I have no idea WHICH one he is. Thanks Uncle Mike for causing me years and years of confusion. Even as a kid when we were around them, I never said their names for fear of getting it wrong. ... .

I've got all kinds of name fears

We are leaning towards Kevin. I don't think we will make it "final" until he is born, though. I asked my 6 year old if he wanted to name the baby Kevin or Eric and he blurted out Kevin. Of course, his first 2 choices were Koopa, Mario or Luigi. I quickly nixed those names. They've been watching a lot of Mario cartoons
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote