Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Hate BFing in public

well yesterday was the first time I really had to bf in public, we went to a children's festival and there was no where private to go and the van was like 4 blocks away and baby wasn't waiting that long. So I had to bf her on the bleachers. I can't believe how many people stare at you!!! I know some people don't have a problem with others seeing their breasts while bfing, but I do, I was as descreat as I could possibly be, but seriously there had to be better things to look at? I had dd in a sling so I know no one saw my boob but it made me so self consious that people actually stare at you!!

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hate BFing in public

it's gets easier, i promise!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Old 06-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sometimes when you are uneasy about something (like bf in public) your paying extra attention to see if anyone is staring at you. People stare at each other for a million reasons. It may not have been you breastfeeding. They may have been looking at you and thinking something completely different like "I like what she is wearing" or "she is very pretty" or "i wish i could see her baby but s/he is hidden in that sling", etc. Don't beat yourself up for doing something that you baby needed from you.
I bf at the beach this weekend and it used to bother me bf in public but now i could care less. They are just boobs. Women have them and if a guy hasn't seen boobs before, then your doing him a favor.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sometimes I think "i have to get my boobs out again today" uuugh
but really what are you going to do... and then you look at them when they are sweetly eating (mine doesn't sweetly eat very often but still when he does LOL)
if you use the layered look with a tee you can pull up and another you can pull down, people won't even see your tummy.
I've had people ask to hold the baby and even whose baby was I holding when bfing that way

you are doing what's best for your baby
Old 06-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
tng_mama
Registered Users

I'm not overly comfortable NIP, but I'm getting better at it. We were at a parade on Saturday, and we had our 9yo's friend with us. Gracie wanted to go to sleep..so I nursed her. We were sitting up on a hill from the crowd, it was raining, so I had a raincoat and a blanket on me, not to mention a great big umbrella over us. Dd's friend was sitting next to me and glanced over..Her jaw dropped...and she said "YOU CAN'T DO THAT IN PUBLIC!!" MY dd says "Yes she can, what's she supposed to do when Grace gets hungry and we're out somewhere? Let her starve? She did it at the Chinese restaurant the other day" Her friend couldn't believe it. I thought it was great that dd totally understood it and how she explained it to her friend.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng_mama
I'm not overly comfortable NIP, but I'm getting better at it. We were at a parade on Saturday, and we had our 9yo's friend with us. Gracie wanted to go to sleep..so I nursed her. We were sitting up on a hill from the crowd, it was raining, so I had a raincoat and a blanket on me, not to mention a great big umbrella over us. Dd's friend was sitting next to me and glanced over..Her jaw dropped...and she said "YOU CAN'T DO THAT IN PUBLIC!!" MY dd says "Yes she can, what's she supposed to do when Grace gets hungry and we're out somewhere? Let her starve? She did it at the Chinese restaurant the other day" Her friend couldn't believe it. I thought it was great that dd totally understood it and how she explained it to her friend.

Go dd!!

Sorry, my op was so short, I was holding a sleeping dd! Don't let what other people thing bother you.. usually they don't get it! I started nursing my first baby when I was 17 and people thought I was a nutcase!! I even walked around target nursing her when she was real little! Your doing great!! Just what is supposed to be done! GO mama!!!

OT: My friend had a baby and I had picked up her daughter from school.. and she was telling the other kids I had with me that "My mom feeds my baby sister from her boobies" and one of the kids just did not believe it.. she said " There is NO way that can happen.. its not right" The little girl just said.. yup... she does..lol

Kids are great!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
OnlyaMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It bothered me when I first started bf also. I was even too the point that I would pump milk to put in a bottle when I went out. I felt so self aware. Now, I really dont care what people think, I mean I try not to target practice with people walking by, but I do feen my baby when he needs something. Its them that have the problem, not me, and not my baby.

Hang in there, it will get better.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Like the other mamas said, it does get easier.
I will tell you a funny story real quick:
I was flying from Seattle to San Diego. I got to board early because I had my baby with me. I thought I had timed his next nursing perfectly, so he could nurse as we took off and sleep through the flight. Not so. He freaked out and was hungry-thirsty-tired as soon as we sat down. I had to nurse him as everyone else boarded the plane (I had picked a seat towards the front so we could get off quickly when the time came). Of course, I was flying Southwest, so everyone chose there own seats. I got ablout a dozen people start to sit next to me, realize I was nursing my baby, and jump back like I had the plague. Guess who had the ONLY open seat next to her in the WHOLE plane? Oh yeah! At the time, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. That was a couple years ago, now I can look back and laugh.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just flew to California and back with my long ol' eighteen month old dd nusing pretty much the whole time. She ended up half in the lap of the passengers next to me half the time, and I have to say they were great about it! The first time it was a teenage boy who didn't speak english and the second time it was a man in his fifties flying by himself. It made me feel so good about how much better society is dealing with bfing!