Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hate BFing in public

With my first daughter I was so uncomfortable NIP! Now, with my second daughter, I figured out the only reason I was uncomfortable was because of what my family and my ex thought of it. I am the first in my family to breastfeed since my great-grandma so no one can relate to me or understand really. Once I figured out how to ignore their veiwpoints and comments, it became so easy to NIP!

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #12
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty_joanne
They are just boobs. Women have them and if a guy hasn't seen boobs before, then your doing him a favor.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my dh and i flew across the country last week, along with our 7 month old bf twins (talk about a challenge!). anyway, at home i usually nurse them tandem--and if you have never witnessed the spectacle that is tandem nursing, let me assure you there is a big naked factor! well, i NEVER thought i would be able (or willing) to tandem feed them in public, but there we were, waiting for our plane to board and the boys got hungry and cranky, so it did what i had to do! and as i sat there looking around to see who was noticing (im sure it was EVERYONE) i was thinking "i can't believe this is happening". but it turned out to be ok, nobody openly stared at me, and the boys settled down.

we all have to do what needs to be done, and seriously, aren't you so glad that you didn't have to figure out how to fix and warm a bottle in that situation? bfing is so wonderful! and we all have these great stories to tell each other, plus we get to educate people along the way, if we're lucky.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
Ginamcf
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are women that show WAY more boob wearing normal socially appropriate clothing than I do while nursing. In our culture it seems like you can show a miles worth of cleavage and no one freaks out but if they get a tiny shot of the skin above a nursing baby's head then your are "exposing yourself"!
Seriously if people stare at me then I just smile back. I try to make eye contact so that the person can see that I am comfortable with nursing. I find that some people just need a smile from you to realize that you are just a nice normal person feeding her child.
I will never apologize or relocate to feed my child the way he was meant to be fed. It's not a nursing mothers fault that our society is so backwards!
Mommy to Ian (10), Gavin (3) and #3 due 3/09.
Ginamcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
momof2inohio
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Go dd!!

Sorry, my op was so short, I was holding a sleeping dd! Don't let what other people thing bother you.. usually they don't get it! I started nursing my first baby when I was 17 and people thought I was a nutcase!! I even walked around target nursing her when she was real little! Your doing great!! Just what is supposed to be done! GO mama!!!
Kids are great!!
to you! I love hearing about mammas your age who are nursing their babies. Same thing with CD'ing. I'm so glad.

I was BF as a baby and I remember my mom telling me as she nursed my little sister how important it was to do this. A few years later I remember staring at a friend of my mom's as she nursed at the dinner table. It wasn't that she was BF'ing that caught my eye, it was that her veins were so big and blue! LOL Fast forward many years...hubby and I were eating dinner out with friends and the mamma started nursing her baby at the table. Our waiter came up to her and asked if she could remove herself as what she was doing was upsetting someone near by. I remember her saying, This is my daughter's meal. I will "remove myself" if the man you're here representing has the balls to tell me himself and eats his own meal elsewhere." She was an opinionated lady! Even after all that, I didn't BF my firstborn after the first few weeks. And I know why. It's because I didn't have support. We were in UT, with no family and no friends our age having babies. Hubby said he'd go with whatever I decided to do. Stopping seemed the easiest route as I had no one there to tell me differently.

Sorry, too long!

momof2inohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #16
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Haha, I can't tell you how many times I've walked around the baby section of a store nursing! With both of my girls, the first few months I couldn't be gone very long before they'd get hungry, and I mean really, who isn't going to feed their hungry baby because OTHER people might be embarassed by it.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #17
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I just have to chime in when I normally don't. Lets just say I usually speak whats on my mind when I am out and about, but I really try to watch it. Here is a shorten version of my dd's baptism...Nana was running a little late with the gown, so when she showed up the ceremony was suppose to start in less than 5 minutes. With all the bathrooms occupied, I decided to change my dd in the vestibule area and some crabby old lady told me not to. I told the old lady that she has a onsie on and its not like no one has seen a naked baby. I changed her anyway as they were waiting for us. Well, after we get the gown on dd becomes crabby and is hungary and so I did what all bf mamas do and I fed her. But I made sure that the crabby old laddy knew, I turned my chair around, pulled up my shirt, undid my bra, and with my boob hanging out, I asked Nana to hand me Elise. The old crabby lady came over to tell me how this is not appropriate and that I should be ashamed of myself blah blah...I looked at her square in the eyes and said "I will be more than happy to quit when you take the statue of Mary feeding Baby Jesus down at the alter (which I should say, showed a lot more than what I did)". So needless to say after that I had no problem bf in public, but I can't say the same for pumping in a public restroom! I think a Mom thought there was something else going on in the stall if you know what I mean!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

HAHA That is so great. Awesome job there. I don't think I could have full out flashed her, but I would have made sure she knew I was breastfeeding in public and would have been a little less discreet than I usually am.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #19
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty_joanne
They are just boobs. Women have them and if a guy hasn't seen boobs before, then your doing him a favor.
OMG. I'm dying laughing now.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #20
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

It gets easier. I've never had a problem BFing in public once I started doing it more. At first I felt awkward but then I just said screw it... baby needs to eat. I mean I'd drink juice if I was thirsty while walking around, why shouldn't I give DS some milk? KWIM? Anyway DH used to be the awkard one about BFing. He used to complain about a wife there that would just "whip it out" in front of everyone... now that I am BFing he'll be like "feed the baby already he's starving" and I've fed right in the rec room at his work while all the guys are in there. I think it was easier once he saw that I was using my breast to feed, not as a sexual tool which is what some people do and will always see the breast for. DH actually pointed out that the reason so many people are freaking out about public BFing is b/c they are upset w/themselves not you for BFing in public... like seeing someone BF reminds them that they perhaps didn't succeed or didn't try hard enough. It's the same w/people that pitch a fit about CDing... DH says "well they're just trying to create an arguement b/c they are too lazy to CD themselves" b/c everyone just wants to be "right." So if being "right" means making a BFing mom feel bad about feeding her baby in public then someone will try and be "right."

Anyway YAY FOR YOU for BFing in public!!! And as a PP mentioned, people stare for lots of reasons, not just b/c you're BFing. I've had people stare at me & I thought great another BF starer LOL But then later I realize I had bed head or they were staring at my 2 yo playing like a heathan next to me, etc.

Bottom line - who cares what they think! YAY FOR YOU!