Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

EBF as birth contrl first 6 months

I thought that exclusive breastfeeding (no pacifiers, no bottles, etc) was an effective means of birth control for the first 6 months, anyone else have proof otherwise?

I didn't get AF back until 15 months pp with DD1, I'm 5 weeks pp now am I safe to not use protection?

Advertisement

nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: EBF as birth contrl first 6 months

It is for some women but not all. It wouldn't have worked for me. My cycle returned like clockwork at 3 months pp after both of my kids. I was even tandem nursing after my 2nd. No bottles, pacifiers, we coslept, she nursed every hour around the clock etc.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

With DS1 and DD it did NOT work for me. I got AF back immediately and was pregnant with DD when DS1 was only 11wks old. With #3 I didn't get AF back till DS2 was over a year old so I think you never can tell. If your not getting AF then that's a good sign things are pretty safe but at 5wk pp you wouldn't have AF yet anyway so I might be careful for the next few weeks to see if you get her back or not.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Leighleighbuggy
Registered Users
seller

I never got AF, but got pregnant at 4mos pp.
Leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's reported to be about 98% effective if baby is under 6 months old, you haven't had a period, baby takes no pacifiers, bottles, or supplementary foods, and nurses at least every 4 hours during the day and at least every 6 hours at night.

If you are really concerned, I would check the fluid at your cervix before you and your SO get intimate to see if there is any hint of fertile cervical fluid. If there is any, or you have any doubt, you can use protection. If you are going to ovulate, you will have at least a tiny amount, and you should be able to check for it. But you could miss it if you don't check at your cervix.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
amzasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
It's reported to be about 98% effective if baby is under 6 months old, you haven't had a period, baby takes no pacifiers, bottles, or supplementary foods, and nurses at least every 4 hours during the day and at least every 6 hours at night.

This is what my ob says too. I wouldn't trust it personally, but i got preg on an iud!

Swagging for Amazon gift cards for DD toddler bed!
amzasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
jpsgirl
Registered Users
seller

I don't trust it at all. I got my period back like clockwork about a month pp. I know many people don't get it so quickly, but you ovulate before you have a period, so unless you are super carefull, you could easily get pregnant before starting your period. If you have any doubts at all and do not want any more kids right now, I honestly wouldn't trust it. That's just me though.
jpsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
paperclip
Registered Users

My Mood:

vegancupcake is right. note that there will be a few women for whom it doesn't work- 2 in 100. I myself have successfully used lactational ammenorrhea after three babies, and am using it now. But I got knocked up five times on the pill and once with the shot, which both have higher statistical success rates.
Jenny- wife to Michael. Mama to Zoe (12), Selene (8), Garvin (6), Gwendolyn (3), Thomas (21m), and a surprise #6 due 29 June 2015
paperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're worried about it, definitely learn what fertile CM looks/feels like, and check that. I didn't get my period back until 12 months pp, but I knew that I was ovulating a few weeks before that, so we were able to avoid pregnancy.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
jessh2021
Registered Users

My ds was nursing every 2 hours (even at night), never got a cycle and got preggo at 5 months pp when the condom broke....from my experience if you aren't ready to add another I wouldn't rely completely on ebf as birth control...
jessh2021 is offline   Reply With Quote