Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Machine Applique and Embroidery Tutorial (using an embroidery machine)

Some of my friends were asking me for tips and tricks to using their embroidery machines and I figured I would make a tutorial for machine appliqueing a small onesie.

First, let's start with the tools. Besides your embroidery machine and thread, you'll need:
- a onesie to jazz up
- your embroidery hoop and guide
- scissors
- stabilizer
- topping stabilizer for embroidery
- spray adhesive
- painters tape or masking tape
- wet-away marker
- pins

I like to take my onesie or t-shirt and iron a nice firm crease down the center of the top. I match up the side seams and press the shirt until I have a clear vertical line to guide my embroidery. I think this is the easiest and quickest way to make sure your design ends up centered on the top.

Going off of the center crease, I lay the guide grid on top and figure out exactly where I want the design to go. I don't bother to measure this. As long as your crease is centered, you can line your grid up with that and your design should end up perfectly centered. Mark your guide marks with a wet-away marker.

Now it is time to prepare your hoop. Take your cut-away stabilizer (when embroidering on knits I always use cut-away) and put it in your hoop so it is nice and firm. Line the guide up inside of the hoop and mark your guide marks with the wet-away marker.

Now I take painters tape or masking tape and cover the exposed parts of the hoop. I do this so that my spray adhesive doesn't junk up my hoop. This is not an entirely necessary step, but I don't want my hoop to get all sticky and gross. The tape protects it and keeps it smooth and clean.

Use your spray adhesive to make the stabilizer in your hoop all nice and sticky. Now we are going to carefully line up the onesie on the hoop. Turn your onesie inside out, pull the front down towards you, and bunch up the back of the onesie around the neck. I take a straight pin and use it to line up each of the guide marks I made on the onesie and stabilizer.

First I start with the shirt:

Then the stabilizer:

Carefully line up each of the guide marks and smooth out the onesie so it adheres to the stabilizer. Patience and caution in this step will really pay off in making your final result look professional.

I then take straight pins and pin around the outside of the embroidery area to further secure the onesie to the stabilizer. Make sure those pins and especially the pin heads are out of the way of any area your needle is going to be!

Now we are ready to move to the machine! Put your hoop in and get ready to sew!

In my example, I was doing an applique first. You will have to keep your hands right in the project to keep the back and sides of the onesie out of the sewing area. Be careful and pay attention so no fabric sneaks into the needle path!

After my applique shape was outlined, I got my applique fabric ready.

For the best results, I take my applique fabric and use a little spray adhesive on the back side of it. That makes it really stick down securely to the onesie.

Get your machine going and sew around the applique shape. Make sure you keep your hands in there to keep the onesie back and sides away from the needle.

Take the hoop out of the machine (but not the fabric out of the hoop!) and cut away the excess from the applique.

Ah, I have a nice fabric letter.

Put the hoop back in the machine so you can finish the applique.

After the applique was done, I wanted to put some embroidery over the top of the applique. I took the hoop out of the machine and pinned the topping stabilizer onto the fabric where the embroidery was going to go. I always use the topping stuff for embroidery. It really helps the stitches pop out and not pull into the fabric.

Get your machine going and sew the embroidery.

You're all done sewing!

Take the onesie out of the hoop and cut away the stabilizer on the back. Leave about a 1/4 inch around the edges of the embroidery. The topping on the front can just be torn away from the embroidery.

Admire your handiwork!

I hope this helps with some tricks and tips to making machine applique easy and fun!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Machine Applique and Embroidery Tutorial (using an embroidery machine)

You are so incredibly talented Jamie. The shirt came out beautiful!
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
JerBearsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is awesome!!! Thanks for taking the time to share!
JerBearsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is great, thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Where's the "like" button? LOL! Great info, I had just bought that sweet little cow in moon applique and was a little afraid to try.. I'm going for it now!! I hope you don't mind but another talented mama told me that this stuff is really great for backing embroidered shirts for kiddos. I've used it and I love it!

http://www.allstitch.net/department/....cfm?killnav=1
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
emeyer76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I am so impressed with your skills and this tute! THANK YOU!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
CorbinsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amazing tutorial! I've been doing it the hard way all this time dang it LOL!! Whats the topping stabilizer called? Is it wash away?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
BarefootGal
Registered Users

What a cute tutorial!
BarefootGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
kat1205
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Where's the "like" button? LOL! Great info, I had just bought that sweet little cow in moon applique and was a little afraid to try.. I'm going for it now!! I hope you don't mind but another talented mama told me that this stuff is really great for backing embroidered shirts for kiddos. I've used it and I love it!

http://www.allstitch.net/department/....cfm?killnav=1
So glad I'm not the only one who looks for the like button! Great job on the shirt!