Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

RL trade, wwyd?

Ugh, I traded my beloved ergo that I used for my daughter for some BG (3.0s) I think. I NEVER should have done this trade. I started having weird feelings about it but I went ahead and did it anyway. It was the old style ergo and it had some marker spots and it wasn't very clean but it just needed to be washed and I had a major sentimental attachment to that thing. Oh it was an old style ergo too and it was used when I got it, I was only asking $40 cash for it because it was old style, had some spots and I got it used.

Ok so someone contacted me wanting to trade her bumgenius's for my ergo. She said she got them new off craigslist, that there were "18 or 19' which I was a little about but I figured hey not everyone catalogs their diapers as carefully as I do. She said she was getting rid of them because she washed in rockin green and if she didn't strip every 6 weeks with dawn and boiling water that they started to stink bad but that they were fine if she stripped and that she was going to strip them freshly for me so they would be ready to use. When we set up a pick up time she said there were 15 diapers, a hanging wet bag and 4 hemp inserts. Again I was but I figured it was still a good deal.

we were both running late to the trade and I had someone else to meet later in the day. So I took a quick look at one of the diapers but I just trusted her on it. Well when I got the diapers home they REEKED. I mean it smelled like a bag of old urine. It was so bad. I have NEVER smelled such horrible stinky diapers. They had obviously been washed and were "clean" the stains weren't even all that bad but the stink...

I ended up washing these things about 15 times finally resorted to bleach and that killed the stink. I stuffed them all up and they are all put away neatly and I just can't bring myself to use them. Every time I look at them I just think of how bad this trade went and how sick I am over it, I kind of just want them out of the house but can't really afford to lose the $40 I would have gotten out of the carrier (I got a new blue one on baby steals and was going to "pay" for part of it with the money from reselling the old on, but figured I needed diapers too..) ugh. Plus I had to drive a long way to meet her so I am out gas money, and the money spent on washing them 15 times, electric here is ridiculous plus detergent and effort.

I don't know what to do with these diapers. I can't vouch for them so I'm afraid to trade or sell them. Should I :

1. Try to sell the diapers, disclose their history and sell them as is
2. contact the person I did the trade with and tell her I am not happy with the trade and try to trade back
3. Call it a loss, throw away the diapers or give them away.
4. Force myself to use them and hope the sick feeling I get when I look at them eventually goes away.

Advertisement

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: RL trade, wwyd?

Honestly they are just diapers and should not make you angry to see them. I would either use them or sell with full disclosure with the info you know about them.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I'd use them for a little while so you know they work. THEN I would sell them if they bother you that much. I am afraid to say that I doubt they all work - 15 BG's are worth WAY more then $40 - I'm thinking they might have PUL issues. If they don't you can sell them even for a few dollars each just to get some money back and get them out the door. IF they don't work - you can still give them away (or keep some) to use as swim diapers.

I have a similar experience getting a too-good-to-be true deal on BG's when I was a newb and they were all delaminated.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

The pul *looks* fine, no signs of delaminating that I see. The aplix is good but not great, the elastic seems ok but its been a long time since I held a bumgenius so I am not sure, its for sure stretchy but is it stretchy enough?

I'm not comfortable testing them because then I am saying "I tested these, they work" if they dont you know? My son is a light wetter and I have no idea if him not leaking in them means anything at all, a sunbaby with one insert holds him over night, and he is an all night nurser.

Thank you for the input. I am really just sick over this, I think it is mostly because I didn't realize how attached I was to the ergo and then to get scammed on top of that...

I am trying to just let it go but I am having a hard time not sending a nasty email to the person I got them from. Even though I am sure she won't swap back I just feel like she should know exactly how I feel about what she did, but I know that won't help anyone.. sigh.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor

Last edited by Kama; 03-12-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
knibert
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I were you, I would say something to the swapper--maybe should would give the ergo back or at least know how you feel? BG actually recommends bleach on their dipes--so if bleaching them worked and they work ok--sounds like it was a good deal--I'd just use them--you can put pants over them (the nice thing about trim ol' BG's) and you can forget they are there Just my
Old 03-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama, if you just need to make back the $40, I'm sure that someone would be willing to give you that+shipping for 15 BGs, regardless of condition. Worst case-they need some touch ups on elastic/velcro, but you're talking less than $3 a diaper.

Can you pour a little water on them (without inserts) to make sure the PUL isn't 100% shot?

(assuming they are 3.0s, post inner/outer pics, it is kind of easy to tell 1 & 2.0s from 3.0s)

Last edited by TeachinAuntie; 03-12-2011 at 03:15 PM.
TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
bjkglaugh
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would DEFINITELY talk to the person you traded with and ask to trade back, I mean worst case scenario she says no and you 're right back where you are right now....know what I mean? No harm done in just e-mailing/calling her and asking to trade back.

If she says no, I would list them as a lot, disclose all issues, and just sell them for 40 plus shipping. Like PP said, I am sure someone will buy them.

Mama, this whole thing just sucks for you!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
luvnmyboys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2muncher
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie View Post
Mama, if you just need to make back the $40, I'm sure that someone would be willing to give you that+shipping for 15 BGs, regardless of condition. Worst case-they need some touch ups on elastic/velcro, but you're talking less than $3 a diaper.

Can you pour a little water on them (without inserts) to make sure the PUL isn't 100% shot?

(assuming they are 3.0s, post inner/outer pics, it is kind of easy to tell 1 & 2.0s from 3.0s)
yes to all that. i personally wouldn't try to trade back. you made a deal with her and i would call that final. i would probably try to sell the diapers if they bother you so much - disclose the history, try the water test. i'm sure you can make your $ back. even if you don't have your ergo, you still have the memories. (hugs)
luvnmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

sell them. I would hardly call it a scam when you admit yourself that you only looked at one. She said there was stink issues and some people just really aren't that sensitive to a major major issue. It isn't her fault that you regret trading the ergo period.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
KryzdanJDC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would email her about the condition but I wouldnt expect her to trade back. I think you should let her know how dissapointed you are though! Other than that I think you have recieved some great advice here! Try a water test and if you cant bring yourself to use them try to sell them but I think you should just use them! If the bleach worked you have got yourself a good deal even though it started with a headache!!!

Try some Great Food Mixes at Quick and Easy Mixes for Cooks On the Go
KryzdanJDC is offline   Reply With Quote