Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
pixelpsd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question 1st Time Momma to be with 2 Dogs

Hi! Anyone have experience bringing a new baby home to excitable, medium sized dogs? My pups are very sweet but can be aggressive if I give too much affection to another dog that's a stranger. I'm concerned I have no idea how they'll react to me giving all my attention to a new baby. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

pixelpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
mamaerinx3
Registered Users
seller

Re: 1st Time Momma to be with 2 Dogs

We have 3 dogs (that baby #3 came home to) they are all 80+ lb mutts and they are not as well behaved as I'd like to admit...they like to fit in your face and lick you but they were so good with her (the first baby they all had been around)
When I was pregnant I started to change the dogs' routines so they wouldn't associate it with the baby, they were NEVER allowed on the furniture again and they got less walks and just lovin' time.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

been there. our 2 dogs were the "babies" until my oldest was born. We decided to change the rules on them and slowly enforced them before the baby was born. They went from sleeping at hte head of the bed to the feet. Not allowed on furniture anymore. Ect. Something that was suggested when we had him was to bring home a blanket that he had been wrapped in while we were still in the hospital so he could get a good smell on it. We didn't let the dogs near hte baby too much once coming home, just a sniff here and there to get used to baby. never left them alone in the same room together for quite a while. Our dogs are/were hyper dogs that jump around like crazy. they aren't aggressive, but sometimes don't know their own strength when playing. they move around without thinking and often nearly trip people in the process. We swear our bigger dog thinks she is the size of a teacup chihuahua because she is constantly not realizing her size. Because of this, we have to be careful to keep kids and dogs seperated when the lil ones are on the floor until they are big enough to handle being accidently bumped by "butts mcgraw" as I call her
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a 90+ lb wolf mix, she knew I was prego and what was going on. DH did bring home the hat DS wore in the hospital when he came home to feed her and let her out overnight. But we brought the baby in first while she was contained, put him in his nursery, shut the door and let her out. She bolted for me-and she knew he'd been born, she started whimpering and scouring the house for him. She never had a problem with him at all- she's knocked him over once or twice on accident, and he's gotten knocked over when he's crawling on her being too rough and she gets up- but she's a very big girl and forgets that.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had a Husky when we had DD (I miss my baby boy ). My DH brought him something from the hospital each day that smelled like DD. When we came home, DH went in first so he could get all his jumping and barking out. Then I came in and he went sniffing crazy all over DD and was her guard dog ever since. He LOVED her.

I wanted to add that he was VERY attached to me so we were concerned that he would not like me giving DD attention. He had bad separation anxiety from me and would freak out if I left the room. But he took to her right away and was always by her side.

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 03-13-2011 at 04:16 PM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Erinne
Registered Users

We have a 45 lb lab mix who is a good dog, but hyper. The only problem we ever really had was the dog trying to jump on us while we were holding the baby, so we just had to put the dog in a different room for a while. She was always very gentle when she was actually being aware of the baby, but she just gets so excited and sometimes forgets. Now that my dd is a toddler and LOVES dogs, I'm so glad that she has had so much experience with them. It really is an awesome bond.
Oh, and if your dogs wears collars with tags that clink when they walk around, you should either tape the tags together or take the collar off when they're in the house. That was actually the biggest dog-baby problem we had, that the dog would wake the baby up with the stupid tags!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

we have a beagle (who is 50lbs) and a medium/large size treeing walker coon hound. We gave birth at home, so they were there to smell all the smells, but when i introduced the baby i made it clear, this baby was MINE. They say its good to put something in their beds like the hat from birth before you bring home the baby so they recognize it.
Now my dogs love the baby because he's one of the pack

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello to me a few years ago. We brought our first home to two 125 lb dogs. Our key to success was to make sure they were easily managable with voice commands. We also made sure to wear them out as much as we could everyday. Other than that we just went about our business as usual. It was actually easier with a new baby than it is with a preschooler and a toddler.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a collie and and aussie. I did the same things as the pp. One dog had no interest in the baby and the other (who was more attached to me) was VERY interested in the baby. Not in an "I want to eat the baby" way but it creeped me out. We brought the crate back in the house for him and gave him his space/told him to go to his own space. He used to run to her crib if he heard her cry/sneeze/move. He has calmed down on the whole vibe but it took a while. Both dogs love to lick on her.

I think the real challenge is now at 7 months the baby is crawling on the floor. I'm a lot more nervous about conflicts and interaction. I don't allow LO on the floor while they're eating or near their bowls.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Mobrevic
Registered Users
seller

Location: In the wonderful Black Hills....if you like that sort of thing. Me I perfer the beach.
My Mood:

Just remember to let the dogs be a part of the babies family too or they will get jealous. We used to breed dogs and a dog that is shooed(sp) away all the time can be come agressive. My dog (doesn't really like kids, she is not mean to them she prefers to stay away from them) is high anxiety and sleeps in babies room. She doesn't let anyone near the house....and follows baby all over...though she still dont like to look at the baby and leaves the area if my dd is headin to her or makes eye contact...its funny.
Mobrevic is offline   Reply With Quote