Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Mobrevic
Registered Users
seller

Location: In the wonderful Black Hills....if you like that sort of thing. Me I perfer the beach.
My Mood:
Re: 1st Time Momma to be with 2 Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
I think the real challenge is now at 7 months the baby is crawling on the floor. I'm a lot more nervous about conflicts and interaction. I don't allow LO on the floor while they're eating or near their bowls.
All our dogs have always learned that they are not the boss even over the baby. My dd can put her hand right in the bowl while the dog is eating and our dog walks away. She started to growl 1 time while the baby was crawling towards her and I scolded her verbally and then held her collar while letting my dd get closer and kept my eye on the dogs behaviour....she wasn't liking it so I told her to go lay down and we tried again...after about 4 tries she realized that she was not the babies boss the baby was her boss and she is fine with it. We don't encourage this, but we do not tolerate the dog ever being aggressive under any circumstance towards any child no matter the age. Though she has gotten verbally scolded the couple times she growled at my dd....She has hip displacia (sp) so we have to watch that my lil one doesn't fall on her hind end...she just barks a small bark, but I don't want my lil one thinking it is ok to hurt the dog.

Advertisement

Mobrevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My next door neighbors kept my dog for the first 2 days we were home. It allowed us to get settled without the stress of crazy dog and baby. They came over and got blankets of the baby for her to smell. Then for a few days, we didn't ever leave the baby and dog alone together. We had a baby gate rule for dog/baby if we weren't in the room. Gradually, the dog calmed down.

It worked well for us.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 2 large breed dogs. Our dogs have always been great with a new baby and with our kids. They sniff them here and there otherwise they just leave them alone.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote