Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Preparing cats for a baby?

I know at only 14 weeks it's probably a bit early to be thinking about this, but does anyone have any good info on preparing cats for a little one? I've searched the internet, but everything seems geared to dogs.

I'm not worried about the baby's safety; my cats are more likely to run and hide somewhere than they are to scratch or bite. I just want to make this as easy for them as possible. They've been my comfort and joy for several years, now, and I don't want them to be miserable just because my dream finally came true.

Advertisement

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preparing cats for a baby?

If you aren't doing a homebirth you can have someone take something of the baby's home before you and the baby come home, like a blanket or clothing so the cats can smell it and get used to it a little before the actual baby comes home.

We had an unexpected hospital birth with DS so I didn't think to do this. Our cats were very interested in the carseat but didn't want anything to do with the baby. It's a loud, screeching little human being at first and they stayed as far away as they could. They were somewhat perturbed for several months, I think. They ended up gravitating toward DH more since he didn't have a baby attached to him at all times.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This isn't really for preparing the cats but trust me it will be useful 20 weeks from now when you have your nursery all perfect and you find the cat sleeping in the crib...BALLOONS! Every one I know that has cats has found a cat in the crib (before baby was born). Blow up a bunch of balloons and fill the crib. Once the cat jumps in to find them (pop POP pop) it will never happen again. I never had an issue with my cats not wanting me or avoiding me after the baby was born. I have several pictures of me nursing ds1 and a cat laying on my lap or right next to me. My cats have always slept with me at night but now I've noticed that since my kids go to bed a good 4 hours before I do the cats will usually sleep with one of them for that time then join me once I go to bed, they are still very happy cats and my boys love them. Good luck!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

Rachel - Good thought about the blanket - thanks!

LesLee - Our nursery has actually been ready to go since July, 2009 - we just didn't get to keep the baby we intended to put in it. The cats occasionally sleep in the crib, and I've wondered how I would break them of that one. Fantastic idea about the balloons!!

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten
Rachel - Good thought about the blanket - thanks!

LesLee - Our nursery has actually been ready to go since July, 2009 - we just didn't get to keep the baby we intended to put in it. The cats occasionally sleep in the crib, and I've wondered how I would break them of that one. Fantastic idea about the balloons!!
Yes I second the blanket thing . We did this with our first for our doggy and it seemed to help.
Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
MamaSarahMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
bookworm
Registered Users

-Bring something home of the baby's and lay it on the floor so they can sniff it.
-We put out all the baby stuff when we brought it home from stores/showers so they could investigate it.
-We gave dd tummy time on a blanket and let the cats come up to her. The best advice was not to hold the cats but just let them come up to the baby. Ours generally hide when someone new breaths funny, so it took them awhile to even be in the same room as her!
-Have things in the baby's room higher than the crib. Often the crib is the highest thing and cats go there because they want to look over everything.
-You can put tin foil in the crib before the baby comes so they don't want to go in the crib.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was suprised at how well my cat adjusted with no help from me. She's fine - really. And she's warming up to other people now that she can't get all her lovin' from me. For us, it had to be a rule that she is not allowed in the nursery at all.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

Grab the cat by its tail and pull him/her around the house a few times. Then take some applesauce and smear it all over their fur. To wash them off toss them into the toilet or even a tub full of bubbles. Randomly toss bowls of food from the table on to the cat while eating dinner.

Make sure you take some scissors to kitty's hair too.

Oh wait! You said 'baby'...this is more preparing kitty for toddler. Which it would still be a good idea to start prepping kitty now. LOL!

*No flames please.....we love our kitty. But she does get 'manhandled' a good bit! ha ha

I don't really think you can do anything for kitty to 'prepare' them for a baby. You can bring the blanket home for a smell, but when baby comes home expect some hissing.

Our males didn't like the 1st baby. Or the 2nd baby. And they spent their time hiding under the couch so we gave them to my grandma. They are happier there.
Our female hissed a little and then the first time she found baby crying before me she tried to grab my DD's head to 'pull' her around like her kitten. She became quite possessive of our DD.

DD is going to be 7 in May and kitty still stays by her side. In between being smeared with food and given baths.....
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCreations View Post
Grab the cat by its tail and pull him/her around the house a few times. Then take some applesauce and smear it all over their fur. To wash them off toss them into the toilet or even a tub full of bubbles. Randomly toss bowls of food from the table on to the cat while eating dinner.

Oh wait! You said 'baby'...this is more preparing kitty for toddler. Which it would still be a good idea to start prepping kitty now. LOL!

*No flames please.....we love our kitty. But she does get 'manhandled' a good bit! ha ha

I don't really think you can do anything for kitty to 'prepare' them for a baby. You can bring the blanket home for a smell, but when baby comes home expect some hissing.

Our males didn't like the 1st baby. Or the 2nd baby. And they spent their time hiding under the couch so we gave them to my grandma. They are happier there.
Our female hissed a little and then the first time she found baby crying before me she tried to grab my DD's head to 'pull' her around like her kitten. She became quite possessive of our DD.

DD is going to be 7 in May and kitty still stays by her side. In between being smeared with food and given baths.....
It's true! And from my experience, cats that are manhandled a bit are actually calmer and more easy-going.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCreations View Post

I laughed out loud when I read this! My son actually cut my sister's cat's hair once...there were puffs of black cat hair everywhere! We couldn't figure out why the cat stayed still for the trim job...they get used to kids I guess!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote