Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mama's with No Insurance...

If you had a hospital birth with no insurance, did they make you pay anything while you were in the hospital? Can they make you pay anything?

I had insurance with my last pregnancy, but they ended up having restrictions on certain things, so I received bills months later. I've never not had insurance for a hospital birth (or for any care with a DR or hospital).. so I'm not sure if they will make me pay anything before I leave, or before they would do something (like an epidural or c-sec if necessary??)

Or do they just send you a bill after it's all over?

Advertisement

Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
amy329
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mama's with No Insurance...

The hospital that I work at/deliverd my baby at do not take money up front. You get billed a few weeks later. The medical staff are not aware of what type of insurance you have and you shouldn't be treated any different. The only people that know your insurance coverage are the clerical/billing staff. I mean, they have access to see your insurance if they truly wanted to, but that isn't important when it comes to your/your babies healthcare.

The hospital I work at offers a charity care/financial assitance program to uninsured patients. Not sure if they offer that where you are delivering. It is definately something to look into. It goes by income. Also, if you can't pay your bill when you recieve it, you can always call the billing office and they will arrange something with you. By law, they can't send you to collections if you are making some form of payment. Even if its like $10 a month on a $20,000.00 bill.

HTH! GL mama.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy329 View Post
The hospital that I work at/deliverd my baby at do not take money up front. You get billed a few weeks later. The medical staff are not aware of what type of insurance you have and you shouldn't be treated any different. The only people that know your insurance coverage are the clerical/billing staff. I mean, they have access to see your insurance if they truly wanted to, but that isn't important when it comes to your/your babies healthcare.

The hospital I work at offers a charity care/financial assitance program to uninsured patients. Not sure if they offer that where you are delivering. It is definately something to look into. It goes by income. Also, if you can't pay your bill when you recieve it, you can always call the billing office and they will arrange something with you. By law, they can't send you to collections if you are making some form of payment. Even if its like $10 a month on a $20,000.00 bill.

HTH! GL mama.
Thank You! That is really good to know! That makes me feel SO much better for doing a hospital birth. I currently have a midwife that has done my prenatal care, and I am planning for a homebirth. But I really feel uncomfortable with the idea now.. (for many reasons) and want to put myself at ease by GIVING myself the option (in my mind) of a hospital birth if needed. That way, when the time comes, I can decide what to do from there, and not feel pressured one way or the other.

Thanks!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you sign in at the hospital they will go through the financial stuff with you or your dh, what kind of insurance you have etc. I would let them know up front that you don't have insurance and work out a payment plan. There is no way for you to know or the hospital how much intervention you will need. You should plan on putting some money aside for the hospital birth.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

With my last I did not have insurance, and I did not get any bills till after we left. A social worker type person even came in and talked to me about programs the hospital offered to help with expenses, should I not be able to afford the bills or get my insurance worked out.

Other then that my hospital stay was no different then any of the others, due to lack of insurance.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
amy329
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
Thank You! That is really good to know! That makes me feel SO much better for doing a hospital birth. I currently have a midwife that has done my prenatal care, and I am planning for a homebirth. But I really feel uncomfortable with the idea now.. (for many reasons) and want to put myself at ease by GIVING myself the option (in my mind) of a hospital birth if needed. That way, when the time comes, I can decide what to do from there, and not feel pressured one way or the other.

Thanks!

NP! I hope everything works out for you and CONGRATS on your pregnancy! No matter where your baby is delivered into this world, I am sure it is going to be special.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
jessc82
Registered Users
seller

Your hospital shouldn't make you pay anything up front. Even people with insurance don't HAVE to pay their deductible at the time. If you don't have insurance, call the billing dept at your hospital, many hospitals offer a 30-50% discount to uninsured patients.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

did you apply for medicaid?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
LissaB
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have health insurance but I didn't have the maternity rider (gotta love those surprise babies!). One of the hospitals near me offers a charity program that is based on income like a PP mentioned. It covers prenatal care, the birth, and postnatal care, as well as reduced payments if I have to come in for other stuff (it's intended for people without insurance). It's a good hospital, and it's been nice knowing that I'm getting the care I need and that it's about what I would have paid for copays with insurance. I wouldn't wait to look into something like that, though.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely stick with the midwife if you are able and comfortable doing so, the cost will be exponentially lower. Have a back-up hospital in case of emergency and expect a bill afterward. If you use the hospital, inspect EACH AND EVERY charge on the bill. Sometimes you can get billed for things that you didnt have. I had a friend that was billed for the consult with the anesthesiologist, and meds even though she didn't use any.
Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote