Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

What does someone mean when they say

they have a sensory child? I hadn't heard that before, and I'm curious. Thanks!

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does someone mean when they say

Usually when a parent says "I have a sensory child" they mean they have a child with SPD which is a sensory processing disorder. My oldest son has it, as do I and pretty much every else in my family though when I was younger they didn't diagnose that sort of thing so my diagnosis didn't come until I was an adult. Some parents may use it even when they child doesn't have a diagnosis because they are either in the process or think their child might need the diagnosis.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
ralenth
Registered Users

Re: What does someone mean when they say

My son isn't diagnosed with SPD, but he has sensory issues. It's almost like he's uncomfortable in his own skin. He can't handle loud noises, crowds, shirts that scratch, bright lights. It's more than that at times, too. It took a lot of OT for him to get to a place where he can handle most things. For instance. His school was doing construction, and while I was in one day, it was on the other side of the wall in his classroom. It was louder than usual (a loud banging noise), and it distracted a lot of the kids, and raised the normal noise level in the classroom. For every other child in the classroom it was a distraction. Annoying, but they were able to continue about their normal business. It was crippling for my son. He couldn't work, because the noise was too loud. He couldn't cover his ears with his hands, and write at the same time. He couldn't go into the hall, because that isn't his normal routine. He was unable to function. I can name other instances like this. Things that cause one thing to happen in 90% of kids, can have a completely different reaction for my son.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote