Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free food ideas for 2yo?

DS has been GF/DF for a while now, but when I took him off of all soy a few weeks ago he started sleeping better and was way calmer during the day. I gave up because it was SO hard, it's the soy-free that kills me, but lately his behavior is getting worse and his sleep is still terrible. DH even noticed (this is a big deal, as DH is not one to notice subtleties) and said no more soy this morning after a particularly annoying night of DS kicking him.

DS loves rice and beans, sunbutter and jelly sandwiches on GF bread, and um, that's about it ATM. He used to eat a lot of fruit, esp bananas and apples, sometimes likes canned salmon or sardines, and used to eat chicken like it was going out of style. He's getting pickier though, maybe because he gets tired of eating the same thing all the time? He's still little and I don't feel like it's fair to say too bad, eat it anyway, I don't think he would understand that yet. Plus I want him to eat, so I'm willing to make something that will be eaten.

Any meal/snack ideas would be great from someone in the same boat?

Advertisement

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free food ideas for 2yo?

Almond butter on apples; sweet potatoes sauteed in earth balance (soy & dairy free) or olive oil, sprinkled with cinnamon & brown sugar; apples sauteed in apple juice w/ a little cinnamon; bananas sliced lengthwise w/ pb or almond butter inside to make a "sandwich"; coconut milk ice cream; dried fruits;

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

I am searching for snack ideas myself but just wanted to let you know that our doctor asked me to put DS2 on coconut milk last week (also gluten, dairy, soy free). He LOVES it. I've been reading up on it and it seems to be great stuff with very healthy properties like MCFA's. I'm in need of some HIGH CALORIE healthy snacks and foods myself b/c DS is pretty low on weight. Would love to hear more ideas. We aren't gluten free (yet)- doing some tests this week.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
MaMaJodiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:

hash browns are fun for kids- i am trying to remember as we were gluten free milk free for a long time. Mashed potatoes made with organic chicken broth. Potatoe wedges (sweet potato can be fun). Dr Praeger might have some gluten free stuff if i remember correctly (all natural potato hashbrowns). Hummus is a great dipping food and you can add it to anything, like meats to make them tastier
MaMaJodiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Meatloaf; tacos/taco salad; fruit salad; egg salad (canola oil mayo); deviled eggs; turkey loin roast w potatoes & carrots; oatmeal; "breakfast" for dinner; hamburgers w/o buns; lunch meat slices rolled up around julliened veggies (avocado, red peppers, yellow peppers, etc); grilled kabobs; fruit kabobs; fruit smoothies (made with almond milk)

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Oh I second hummus!!!! Dip veggies in it---yummmm!!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Chewy Granola Bars

1 c brown sugar
1/2 c honey
2/3 c peanut butter
1/2 c melted butter
2 tsp vanilla

Mix together and then add the following

3 c oats
1/2 c coconut
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/3 c wheat germ (or ground flax seeds)
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 c chocolate chips (optional, of course)

Mix well, press into bar pan, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

You can play with that recipe some, too. You don't have to use as much brown sugar as it calls for, I know. I don't know that I would reduce the honey, though, as it helps to glue it together. But you could add dried fruits to it, different nuts, etc.

Rice cakes (you can get various flavors), gluten free pretzels (I am thinking I had a brand with no soy, but I don't remember what it was off the top of my head), popcorn, noodles (Tinkyada makes excellent brown rice noodles -- love them), Ore-Ida frozen potatoes are gluten free, and you can make your own goodies. Fruits, meats, and veggies, of course are all good choices. Tortillas with rice or almond cheese. Refried beans.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

In the healthy snacks thread someone mentioned making chocolate pudding using avocado, banana, honey & cocoa powder. It sounds yummy to me! I plan to try it...

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow View Post
DS has been GF/DF for a while now, but when I took him off of all soy a few weeks ago he started sleeping better and was way calmer during the day. I gave up because it was SO hard, it's the soy-free that kills me, but lately his behavior is getting worse and his sleep is still terrible. DH even noticed (this is a big deal, as DH is not one to notice subtleties) and said no more soy this morning after a particularly annoying night of DS kicking him.

DS loves rice and beans, sunbutter and jelly sandwiches on GF bread, and um, that's about it ATM. He used to eat a lot of fruit, esp bananas and apples, sometimes likes canned salmon or sardines, and used to eat chicken like it was going out of style. He's getting pickier though, maybe because he gets tired of eating the same thing all the time? He's still little and I don't feel like it's fair to say too bad, eat it anyway, I don't think he would understand that yet. Plus I want him to eat, so I'm willing to make something that will be eaten.

Any meal/snack ideas would be great from someone in the same boat?
Your comment about him becoming a picky eater really sends off alarm bells with me. I have 2 kids who both have severe food allergies, I have them as well. What I have learned through my kids is to NEVER EVER force them to eat anything!!! Allergy kids are not like your regular picky eaters. Even at 2 they know. With my DD at that age she would simply touch something to her tongue to test to see if she'd react. Kids are smart when it comes to food. My DD had a mystery reaction that we could not pin point for a long time, when we finally did it all made sense why sometimes she'd react to something and sometimes she wouldn't. There have been many many times where her dinner would be one bite of something and she'd refuse anything else. Sure enough, reaction.

I can't recommend enough making your own rice milk. We started making it last year and what a difference for us. It's really easy, and cheap, 30 cents a gallon roughly. The major difference when you make it is that it cooks so much better in recipes. However, the only way my kids drink it is when we add chocolate.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote