Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
"It's like dealing with retarded sea monkeys!"....

...are the words I heard come out of a teachers mouth today at one of our middle schools in regards to an 8th grade class. Shocked does not even begin to describe my reaction. I simply stared at her as she asked the student standing next to me, who btw stared at her also, if she was going to laugh at her comment. I held my tongue because I was not my place as a Social Work Intern to say anything to the teacher but I about flew off the handle. Working in the school setting I hear a lot of what the teachers say to students and I guess they don't always realize they can be heard. And I am constantly wondering how teachers get away with what they say and how they treat students but this one was over the top. It makes me very sad for these children and I can easily see why some of them hate school and have such a hard time. One of the very last people that needed to hear this teachers comment was my client standing next to me I will be bringing this up to my supervisor, a school Social Worker, but I am not sure if she can do anything about it or not.

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: "It's like dealing with retarded sea monkeys!"....

That is horrible! I don't think I would have been abe to hold my tongue if I were in that situation.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Shaunam
Registered Users

Ugh.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok, I have to admit that when I read the title of this thread I laughed pretty hard. But for an adult to say that to a child, and a teacher!? That would have upset me something awful. If she feels that way she needs to not be a teacher or at least keep it to herself.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
FeatherBrained
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd have trucked it to the principal's office or made a call to the superintendant. I thought when I saw the title that the teacher had said this in a private setting, that's bad enough, but that she said it in front of the kids is so not ok. Someone needs some retraining imo.
FeatherBrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd have gone straight to the principal. What a terrible thing to say in ANY setting.
http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustileigh View Post
I'd have gone straight to the principal. What a terrible thing to say in ANY setting.
I agree, that is just horrible!
I think she needs to go into a different job field! you do need to talk to the principal and super.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
ericsmom99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a DD in high school and a DS in middle school and some of the things that teachers say and so to these kids is horrible. I have complained so much that I'm on a first name basis with the middle school's principal. One of my DS teachers last year said to the kids "6th graders are completely worthless", "Everyone of you are just a bunch of snot nosed brats", "I hate everyone of you", and "I dont have the time to deal with your s**t". My DD has a teacher that has said "I hate my job and I hate kids", "Why do you all have to be so worthless" and has thrown a book across the room. We live in a pretty normal upper(ish) middle class area (not that kids in any area should have to deal with that, I am just trying to paint a picture)
Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Yes not appropriate anytime. I work in an all special needs based school, that which my SPD/cognitively delayed son teaches as well. So this statement touches my heart in a sad way No way would this attitude EVER fly, especially where I work.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsMom2009 View Post
Ok, I have to admit that when I read the title of this thread I laughed pretty hard. But for an adult to say that to a child, and a teacher!? That would have upset me something awful. If she feels that way she needs to not be a teacher or at least keep it to herself.
I laughed pretty hard too

I agree she shouldn't have said this in front of students. But you've never vented about your job/kids/husband?

I know a lot of people don't like the word "retarded" so I will agree I would have been more specific about the level of dysfunction in my sea monkeys, possibly hypercaffinated.

I don't know if I would be hunting her job about this single statement. It would have been better saved for after school or the teachers lounge.