Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Re: "It's like dealing with retarded sea monkeys!"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
I laughed pretty hard too

I agree she shouldn't have said this in front of students. But you've never vented about your job/kids/husband?

I know a lot of people don't like the word "retarded" so I will agree I would have been more specific about the level of dysfunction in my sea monkeys, possibly hypercaffinated.

I don't know if I would be hunting her job about this single statement. It would have been better saved for after school or the teachers lounge.
This.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

No bueno.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustileigh View Post
I'd have gone straight to the principal. What a terrible thing to say in ANY setting.
Agreed. I have a pretty crude sense of humor at times, but such a comment is not appropriate, especially for someone who is around children.

ETA: The course of action I would take is to either approach her and make her realize how inappropriate it was, or if you aren't very confrontational, then do tell the principal.

Last edited by keonli; 03-18-2011 at 11:23 AM.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
I laughed pretty hard too

I agree she shouldn't have said this in front of students. But you've never vented about your job/kids/husband?

I know a lot of people don't like the word "retarded" so I will agree I would have been more specific about the level of dysfunction in my sea monkeys, possibly hypercaffinated.

I don't know if I would be hunting her job about this single statement. It would have been better saved for after school or the teachers lounge.
I have vented about my job but having my own special needs son AND working at a school specifically designed for special needs children I am very sensitive to such ignorant comments like the one the teacher made.

And believe me we deal with everything from children on the mild side of the ASD to severely ASD children WITH behaviour issues that throws desks at people, push teachers and students OVER desks, put their hands/bodies threw windows, etc, etc and I have never ONCE felt like calling them [to their face or behind their backs] anything that resembles a derogatory term.

I feel sorry for these children, including mine, that struggle so much. I fear at some of their futures because it's going to be little more than the streets or jail if other people, besides the school doesn't step in more.

Most all, about 85% of the school populous, come from TERRIBLE home lives. I have no need to add to their burden they carry by viewing them as less than human.

Again, though I'm sensitive.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
kindramay
Registered Users
seller

Not to detract from the seriousness of the issue, but I deal with (adult) retarded sea monkeys on a daily basis at my job. As a description of my co-workers, she has put it quite eloquently.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
CappyNnon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I have vented about my job but having my own special needs son AND working at a school specifically designed for special needs children I am very sensitive to such ignorant comments like the one the teacher made.

And believe me we deal with everything from children on the mild side of the ASD to severely ASD children WITH behaviour issues that throws desks at people, push teachers and students OVER desks, put their hands/bodies threw windows, etc, etc and I have never ONCE felt like calling them [to their face or behind their backs] anything that resembles a derogatory term.

I feel sorry for these children, including mine, that struggle so much. I fear at some of their futures because it's going to be little more than the streets or jail if other people, besides the school doesn't step in more.

Most all, about 85% of the school populous, come from TERRIBLE home lives. I have no need to add to their burden they carry by viewing them as less than human.

My son is not technically special needs, as all his issues fall just within the low end of normal range (does that make sense?), but he is currently in a wonderful special needs preschool getting therapies so that he can hopefully transition easily into mainstream kindergarten. Many of his classmates will not be going into the mainstream program and some are downright violent. My son came home one day with a deep scratch less than a cm from his eye and across his nose, and will likely have a scar from it. He has come home with broken skin from being bitten and large bumps on his head and bruises. I have never once thought to say something derogatory about the children who caused these bruises. Never. While my mother gets mad that the teachers didn't stop these incidents I know that the teachers are wonderful and for every incident they don't manage to stop there are probably 50 that they have stopped, but kids are fast and the teachers and aides can't be everywhere at once!

I kind of went on a tangent there. It was an agreement, and a thank you for saying what you did and for doing your job. In case that didn't come across clearly.
We had our 2 and we're through.
CappyNnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Agreed. I have a pretty crude sense of humor at times, but such a comment is not appropriate, especially for someone who is around children.

ETA: The course of action I would take is to either approach her and make her realize how inappropriate it was, or if you aren't very confrontational, then do tell the principal.
I very much agree. If it's still weighing on you come Monday, I would go to the principal or superintendent or someone equally important and let them know. That was really inappropriate, ESPECIALLY in front of a child.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindramay View Post
Not to detract from the seriousness of the issue, but I deal with (adult) retarded sea monkeys on a daily basis at my job. As a description of my co-workers, she has put it quite eloquently.
Sometimes this is how I would describe the other teachers at my school!

While I agree that it was dumb thing to say, particularly in front of a student, I am pretty sure that while my principal would act concerned to the parent complaining, and say he'd take care of it, that he would really just call you in and say "Hey, this was a dumb thing to say. A parent complained. Try not to do it again" and that would be the end of it. We all say dumb stuff sometimes without thinking, and obviously regret it later. Should she say it...HECK NO! But in the grand scheme of what goes on in a school in a day, at least at my urban school, this wouldn't be a major issue.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-18-2011 at 02:48 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #20
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post

I don't think this was a special needs teacher.
I do understand where the word "retarded" has become inappropriate. Even I try not to say it.
I had a whole thing written, but there will just be flames....

I don't see where the fervor from the word "retarded" comes from. I have never once used retarded to describe a LD or intellectually disabled person. I don't know really anyone who graduated from H.S. who has.

People of aphasic children don't get wild about "dumb". And it has morphed to a similar meaning.

Like I said, I don't say it. I have too many other adjectives that are way more fun to use. But I don't think it's a slur against special needs people.