Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #21
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: "It's like dealing with retarded sea monkeys!"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
I don't think this was a special needs teacher.
I do understand where the word "retarded" has become inappropriate. Even I try not to say it.
I had a whole thing written, but there will just be flames....

I don't see where the fervor from the word "retarded" comes from. I have never once used retarded to describe a LD or intellectually disabled person. I don't know really anyone who graduated from H.S. who has.

People of aphasic children don't get wild about "dumb". And it has morphed to a similar meaning.

Like I said, I don't say it. I have too many other adjectives that are way more fun to use. But I don't think it's a slur against special needs people.
I totally get what you are saying. I just think the remark was inappropriate for any teacher. They've chosen the wrong profession if they take on that attitude. Sure it gets VERY frustrating. But sometimes stepping out side of ourselves [as educators] and realizing that many variables can make up a child's day, can help to reduce that attitude.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #22
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyNnon View Post

My son is not technically special needs, as all his issues fall just within the low end of normal range (does that make sense?), but he is currently in a wonderful special needs preschool getting therapies so that he can hopefully transition easily into mainstream kindergarten. Many of his classmates will not be going into the mainstream program and some are downright violent. My son came home one day with a deep scratch less than a cm from his eye and across his nose, and will likely have a scar from it. He has come home with broken skin from being bitten and large bumps on his head and bruises. I have never once thought to say something derogatory about the children who caused these bruises. Never. While my mother gets mad that the teachers didn't stop these incidents I know that the teachers are wonderful and for every incident they don't manage to stop there are probably 50 that they have stopped, but kids are fast and the teachers and aides can't be everywhere at once!

I kind of went on a tangent there. It was an agreement, and a thank you for saying what you did and for doing your job. In case that didn't come across clearly.
Thank you
Yes that sounds like where I work [my son's school]. He's come home with broken skin/bite marks, bumps, etc. Other kids are all scratched up from other kids. It's crazy. I feel for these children and the tough rode BEHIND and AHEAD of them!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #23
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Umm, as a teacher of 8th graders, I could see where one might make that comment--though hypercaffeinated sea monkeys is more apt!

She shouldn't have said it in front of students, but sometimes things slip out. Especially when they are acting like ill behaved sea monkeys.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
I know a lot of people don't like the word "retarded" so I will agree I would have been more specific about the level of dysfunction in my sea monkeys, possibly hypercaffinated.
Is there a form to nominate this for "reply of the year"?
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #25
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. Thats horrible! I hope she gets fired. When my brother was in 6th grade he was being bullyed by his teacher (she would yell at him, call him stupid, and give him detention for no reason, it was that bad! ) Anyhow, she eventually got fired for it. I don't even understand how people with so little patience can become teachers.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_freya View Post
Umm, as a teacher of 8th graders, I could see where one might make that comment--though hypercaffeinated sea monkeys is more apt!

She shouldn't have said it in front of students, but sometimes things slip out. Especially when they are acting like ill behaved sea monkeys.
I'm an EA in middle school. I can see where a comment like this can come from. Especially here where we may have hit spring & they just came off of a week off.

I wonder for those who are really upset about this comment if it was just the "retarded" part or is it also because of the sea monkeys part?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF

I'm an EA in middle school. I can see where a comment like this can come from. Especially here where we may have hit spring & they just came off of a week off.

I wonder for those who are really upset about this comment if it was just the "retarded" part or is it also because of the sea monkeys part?
I think it's the carefree use of the word, the disregard for the student standing there, and the lack of control from some one that parents trust their children with. She can say that to her husband, her best friend, her mom, even her co-workers. But to say it to someone she doesn't know in front of one of those 'sea-monkeys' shows a lack of restraint I guess? It's hard to put into words. I understand that the push to do away with "retarded" as a descriptive term hasn't reached everyone, and is lost on others (like calling something gay as slang, as opposed to it being homosexual). So not everyone knows or cares that people are growing offended by that. But you would think that a teacher, a person whose job it is to teach students, likely some who are mentally delayed, handicapped, etc. would know better.

Last edited by Dory; 03-19-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post

I haven't had time to really reply my thread but I think its definitely the "retarded" part. The word definitely has a negative connotation now and it is offensive due to this.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #29
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto Kristen. Honestly, I think the comment itself is hilarious. I do think it's inappropriate she said it in front of a student. Though, so we know if that might have been her own child? Or a friend's child or something? I mean, maybe she was comfortable with this kid, 8th grade isn't the same as 2nd grade, kwim?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I don't think she should be fired over it. Inappropriate? Yes. She was probably just trying to laugh off a rough day and made a stupid comment.