Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Tish1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question about Scalding & Storing

Hi Mamas,

We have discovered that my breastmilk must have a high level of lipase. One bottle of milk I defrosted tasted and smelled sour. The next one defrosted tasted metallic. My daughter won't drink it. What's great is that I go back to work on Wednesday and have about 50-60 oz of frozen milk that I'm going to have to dump. Argh!!!

I have read about scalding the milk and will start doing that. My question is do I have to scald even if I'm just refridgerating the milk? Do I scald after every pumping session before storing? Help, please.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Tish1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about Scalding & Storing

Yeah, you have to scald after everything. The lipase starts eating as soon as it comes out of your breast, freezing it slows the process (so if you freeze for a short period of time, you don't need to scald), but it'll happen faster in the fridge. Either way, scalding kills the lipase so it stops entirely no matter where it's stored.

I wouldn't dump your milk though, I'd see if someone wants it - many babies don't care about the taste and you could help a mama out.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about Scalding & Storing

Each mama might have a different level of lipase. If your lipase level is super high, then you'll probably need to scald all the time. If your lipase level is normal, then you wouldn't have to scald at all. If your lipase level is a little high, then you might be able to get away with a few days in the refrigerator without scalding, but not longer. You will have to just do some experimentation yourself to see how long your own milk lasts. You can take a few oz of fresh milk for an experiment - divide it up into 7 containers and every day test one by tasting. That will tell you how long your milk can last in the fridge before you have to worry about scalding it.

I was able to keep my milk in the fridge for about 2-3 days without scalding. So I would just pump on Monday and use it on Tues, pump on Tues and use it on Wed, etc. On Thurs, I took any milk that was left over from the week and scalded and froze it in ice cube trays. I was able to save Friday's milk for Monday and it was okay too. I used the frozen milk for thinning baby food when the time came.

You may be able to keep your unscalded milk and use it for thinning baby food and the food may mask the taste. It's not bad for your baby if she will take it, she just may not like the taste so you can mask it. Alternatively, you may be able to donate it to a mom whose baby doesn't mind the taste, or who will mask it by mixing it with other milk.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Tish1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for your responses. I scalded a pumping session and That did the trick. I'm hanging onto my funky tasting frozen supply to see if my daughter will drink the metallic tasting milk if we can ever get her to take a bottle!

What a nightmare.

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum
Tish1973 is offline   Reply With Quote