Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: dairy issues AGAIN:( need encouragement

Also pasta and tomatos are on our "no-no" list for the horriable gas he gets. I can't wait for him to be weaned and eat my first Papa John's Pizza in a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

sorry for typos i am nak. try this for fun: get together with friends and family and call pizza hut to place a carry out order. order what everyone wants but make sure to order your pizza without cheese. when you go pick it up they probably will have made yours with cheese. i cannot tell you how many times they threw in the mistake pizza for free after they remade it correctly. we weren't setting them up on purpose, as i am half-jokingly suggesting, but they got it wrong like 95 percent of the time.

about butter, i am not too worried about it since our offender is, i think, casein (protein). butter says it has zero protein though i bet there are traces in the milk solids. but i always scan the ingredients list for whey or sodium caseinate or casein because those are sneaky. i did go to the health food store today and stock up on soy and almond milk and so delicious creamer and they had one package left of the daiyi cheese, which is pretty good. i am definitely geing to try the coconut yogurt (thanks vegancupcake. this is easier this time; i am so thank ful for the support

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

LOL @ boyfarm3!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
hjk
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm from Nebraska, where nearly every Dr./Ped. understands the acronym "MSPI" (milk/soy protein intolerant), which makes it a lot easier! The Univ. of NE med center, from what I've been told, sort of pioneered the term and research so a lot of mamas around here know about and deal with this issue. Comfort in numbers, I guess. I don't know if you want anymore info, but here are a couple of websites/blogs that have a lot of info and recipes if you just need something new to try!

DD was MSPI for about 16-23 months, that range being when she started working up the "ladder" of proteins and was able to finally tolerate milk. I've about 5 weeks to go with this next LO and am supposed to have been on "the diet" all 3rd trimester....it's just so hard to get motivated! With DD, I could SEE the difference (it takes 2+ weeks for your body to rid itself of proteins like that) after a couple weeks, with this LO, I can just pretend it's all good! So I totally understand the need for encouragement!

MSPI Mama blogspot

TED Diet Blog TED--Total Elimination Diet, only for the very severe babes...thankfully I've never had to resort to this one entirely, but there are still some good recipes! Good luck, mama!

Please, if I owe you feedback it's not intentional and I LOVE a reminder! Thanks!
hjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
made4this
Active Contributor
seller
seller

My Mood:

WOW...Thank you! I cannot believe the docs around here don't know about that. I will be getting some info for our pediatrician. I live about 25 minutes from what is supposed to be the "premiere" hospital in the region; they are always bragging about their breakthroughs. You'd think they would occasionally read somebody else's research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post
I'm from Nebraska, where nearly every Dr./Ped. understands the acronym "MSPI" (milk/soy protein intolerant), which makes it a lot easier! The Univ. of NE med center, from what I've been told, sort of pioneered the term and research so a lot of mamas around here know about and deal with this issue. Comfort in numbers, I guess. I don't know if you want anymore info, but here are a couple of websites/blogs that have a lot of info and recipes if you just need something new to try!

DD was MSPI for about 16-23 months, that range being when she started working up the "ladder" of proteins and was able to finally tolerate milk. I've about 5 weeks to go with this next LO and am supposed to have been on "the diet" all 3rd trimester....it's just so hard to get motivated! With DD, I could SEE the difference (it takes 2+ weeks for your body to rid itself of proteins like that) after a couple weeks, with this LO, I can just pretend it's all good! So I totally understand the need for encouragement!

MSPI Mama blogspot

TED Diet Blog TED--Total Elimination Diet, only for the very severe babes...thankfully I've never had to resort to this one entirely, but there are still some good recipes! Good luck, mama!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
mamamegn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay mamas, I am literally crying as I read this. I breastfed my first DS until 18 months w/no problems. I now have a 4 month old baby boy, and I have been off of milk (and anything w/milk in it) for 12 days. I think I'm going to go insane. I still haven't seen a bit of difference in him, and I'm starving ALL the time!!! I can't just run and grab a snack b/c all the snacks at my house have milk in them... AAAGH

I love dairy, so this is a gigantic adjustment for me. DS2 is having super runny/mucus-y (sp??) poo and horrible crying spells. Today, he cried from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. It would be bad enough if it was only the baby, but I also have my almost 3 year old to take care of. So, I really feel nutso

I'm glad to know that it can take a couple of weeks before it gets out of their system. I was thinking it should happen in a few days. It's just really good to know that there are other mamas going through this too.
mamamegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
mamamegn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

MSPI Mama blogspot

Thanks sooo much for those links!! I am in desperate need of recipes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
hjk
Registered Users
seller
seller

HUGS, mamas! I remember crying in the Ped's office when they explained to me that DD was basically bleeding internally (in her tummy) from what I was eating, and then DH and I going to Walmart that afternoon to find food that was okay for me to eat. Wow--I had NO idea how many things include milk/soy!! We basically just wandered around for an hour without buying anything but Rice Milk! But it does get easier! I have a lot of recipes I would share if someone wants me to, but here's a couple other things that helped me a lot:

http://www.mspiguide.org/ This website was one of the first I looked at, has some helpful info/charts on what actually "qualifies" as milk/soy protein and what doesn't, etc....I don't remember if I used it all that much after the beginning, but it does look like there's a listserve you can join through the site....I was part of another listserve through a group in Lincoln. I think anyone could join that, too, so if you want the contact info for that one, just LMK---they were a GREAT support and resource!! I actually need to get myself back on that, so this is good motivation for me!

Here's the cookbook from that website...it's cheaper on Amazon so I'll link to that. It's not the greatest cookbook in the world, but it made our 2nd trip to Walmart so much easier! I wish we had all our books unpacked and I could look at ours again (it's been over 2 yrs)...I don't remember using it much after the initial days because the listserve was just more helpful, but when you're in the middle of dealing with food allergies, $10 is worth it if you even find 3 recipes you like! It looks like there are some used ones available, too. MSPI cookbook

LMK if I can be of any more help or you'd like some more info!!

Please, if I owe you feedback it's not intentional and I LOVE a reminder! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
hjk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamegn View Post
Okay mamas, I am literally crying as I read this. I breastfed my first DS until 18 months w/no problems. I now have a 4 month old baby boy, and I have been off of milk (and anything w/milk in it) for 12 days. I think I'm going to go insane. I still haven't seen a bit of difference in him, and I'm starving ALL the time!!! I can't just run and grab a snack b/c all the snacks at my house have milk in them... AAAGH

I love dairy, so this is a gigantic adjustment for me. DS2 is having super runny/mucus-y (sp??) poo and horrible crying spells. Today, he cried from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. It would be bad enough if it was only the baby, but I also have my almost 3 year old to take care of. So, I really feel nutso

I'm glad to know that it can take a couple of weeks before it gets out of their system. I was thinking it should happen in a few days. It's just really good to know that there are other mamas going through this too.
So sorry, mama! Have you cut out anything else but milk? I'm not a medical expert by ANY means, I'm just another mama who's been there...some kiddos can't have soy, but are fine with milk....for a lot of kiddos it's beef, or eggs, or wheat (gluten). When just the milk or milk/soy doesn't work a lot of mamas around here do the TED diet for 2-3 weeks and then start adding stuff back in to narrow down what it is. I've never had to go that far, but maybe joining one of the list serves would be good, as there are a LOT of mamas on those with far more experience than me! And the emotional support is wonderful because these diets are.not.easy!!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #19
made4this
Active Contributor
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you thank you mamas! This info is amazing. I would quote you but I can't quote multiple posts There
Is so much more than when I did this nine years ago. Back then I was only able to find a few websites. All of them said "very rare". I finally stumbled on one that said it could take 2 weeks. None named the condition and none mentioned the soy. The pediatrician did some tests (no scopes or biopsies, though) but never found anything abnormal. So my DS1's condition was never diagnosed by anyone other than me. All I know is he got better when I quit the dairy protein. I am not sure whether to mention it to the (same) pediatrician this time.
Btw: one site I visited the other day said to allow 2 weeks for it to leave mama's system and 2 more for the baby's, and that the soy leaves the body faster so once the symptoms clear up you can challenge with soy and see if it is a problem too, because not all babies have that.
...I might have to start another thread just for the poop!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
mamamegn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
So sorry, mama! Have you cut out anything else but milk? I'm not a medical expert by ANY means, I'm just another mama who's been there...some kiddos can't have soy, but are fine with milk....for a lot of kiddos it's beef, or eggs, or wheat (gluten). When just the milk or milk/soy doesn't work a lot of mamas around here do the TED diet for 2-3 weeks and then start adding stuff back in to narrow down what it is. I've never had to go that far, but maybe joining one of the list serves would be good, as there are a LOT of mamas on those with far more experience than me! And the emotional support is wonderful because these diets are.not.easy!!!!
Thanks mama! I haven't had soy either - started cutting it at the same time as the milk. I'm thinking about cutting eggs out too, b/c I've noticed that on mornings when I eat eggs, he's much more fussy that afternoon so... maybe a connection?? You're not kidding about these diets not being easy. When the pediatrician told me about it, he said he couldn't even look at me b/c his wife had to do the same thing w/their son and it was horrible. And silly me was sitting there thinking "oh, it can't be that bad." Little did I know...

And I may be really dumb, but I have no idea what a list serve is. Would you mind enlightening me? Thanks!!

Last edited by mamamegn; 03-23-2011 at 08:45 PM.
mamamegn is offline   Reply With Quote