Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
elliebella
DO NOT s/T with! Unresolved transaction issues!

My Mood:
Re: dairy issues AGAIN:( need encouragement

Advertisement

Last edited by elliebella; 02-07-2013 at 11:18 PM.
elliebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #22
elliebella

My Mood:

Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
TLK
Registered Users

I'm in the same boat!

I have horrible self control and try to sneak in a bit of cheese on a hamburger but I always feel terrible when that leads to days of non stop crying. What I miss most is yogurt. I used to eat it everyday.. I think I'm going to try out the yobaby yogurt and see if she reacts to that. I also read that butter is okay because it's low in protein.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebella View Post
First of all - YOU CAN DO IT! Especially since you've already done it before. Yes, you know how much it "vacuums" but you already have btdt knowledge.

What helped me was having dairy-free treats. I didn't care how bad they were for me. (I figured that I was eating healthier because I was paying attention to what I ate, so having a naughty treat, even once a day, was okay.)

Oreo cookies are dairy-free. I just found Dayia cheese. If you have a Whole Foods or other health-food store local to you, that helps a lot. For quick means McDougal's (I might be butchering the name) makes tasty cup-of-soups that are pretty good. I eat them voluntarily now! Enjoy Life Foods makes cranola bars, cookies, and chocolate bars. Chili's restaurant has an allergen menu online. McDonald's hamburgers are dairy-free (its fries and nuggets are NOT). Wendy's chili is free of the top-8.

We use Living Harvest hemp milk. It has more "meat" to it than rice or soy milk.

I just discovered this recently so I will share: You can make an easy mock Whip Cream using coconut milk. Chill 2 cans of coconut milk for at least 24 hours. Also chill beaters and mixing bowl in the freezer for at least an hour prior to use. Use a bottle opener to open a small hole in the bottom of the coconut milk cans. Drain out all the liquid. Open the top and put the "fat" into the mixing bowl. I set the bowl on a large ice pack when using. The coconut needs to stay cold. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Beat with mixer until peaks start to form. It has a coconut taste, but it tastes a lot like whip cream!

Oh, stay away from Tofutti products. They are known for cross-contamination issues with dairy. :-( Also anything Hain Celestial. That company has stated that it's products should not be consumed by those with food allergies. :-(
Bummer about Tofutti I really like their cream cheese spread

But wow, great tips! So happy about the Oreos; milk's favorite cookie is MY favorite cookie, too! I also discovered that mixing (dairy/soy free-I got mine at Aldi) chocolate syrup with so delicious coconut beverage makes really good chocolate milk, so I bought some already flavored from the store. BTW if you are swagging AND dairy free, I got a So Delicious coupon off the swagbucks site the other day

It helps a lot to know that my LO's intestines are inflamed. Just picturing that really helps me resist the temptation to cheat. Before I didn't know that. I think he is making progress; we have only had 3 poops today so far PTL!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
Bellaroo
Registered Users

I actually just joined the forums because of this thread!

My six month old son is dairy intolerant and it has been such a challenge for me to follow the diet. I know the benefits for him are huge (we were having big problems with bloody stools) so that is what keeps me going but I do find the idea of another six months (or more) of this to be a daunting thought. I am encouraged by the fact that there are other mamas out there who are commited to breastfeeding through allergies.

I am going to bookmark the sites that were recommended here and spice up my menu planning!
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
tiners17
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama! Hang in there! It looks like you have lots of advice already I will add that two months ago I finally weaned our 19mo in preparation for baby number two and I had very little dairy for 18mo's. I live in WI so that was HARD! I LOVE cheese and milk so much but I gave it up for my little peanut, too, but I won't say there weren't some tears and "now what do I make" nights. There still are when DH wants a casserole and DD can't have cheese on it or milk in it, etc. Muffins with soymilk, pancakes with soymilk or almond milk, Almond milk with cereal, breakfast bakes or quiches with soy milk are good, I tried! Stir fry's, salads, nuts, nuts on salads with fruit, a big steak! (hehe!), noodle dishes. I did also read online that butter and sharp cheddar have very little or no lactose so if you have a lactose issue and not a dairy "protein" allergy you can still try to have butter and cheddar and maybe some other hard cheeses like parmesian. Hang in there mama I know what you are going through! Just think, you are taking in less fat this way
tiners17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #27
elliebella

My Mood:

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #28
elliebella

My Mood:

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #29
COgle3
Registered Users
seller

I'm on day 5 of no dairy or soy and my little fattycakes' poop finally looks and smells normal. I about cried last night at whole foods trying to find snacks and a bag of cookies. I have had such a sweet tooth since she was born and am a big baker, so I am dying without my treats. I would give a kidney for a muffin right now. I guess I'm going to have to sort out where to buy all the specific things to start baking dairy and soy free goodies. I will say, the whole Oreo thing just changed my whole world right now. I plan on getting some tomorrow! It's good to hear all the support on here. I have had several cases of mastitis in the past two months of my daughter's life and four times with my son and now I have this little complication. I know I need to bf but it's so hard when everyone says stop bc I keep getting mastitis, I've not wanted to tell anyone that she has allergies as well...Oddly enough, I don't consider stopping an option since I bf my son until 18 months, so I guess I'm lucky in the sense that the feeling of obligation to make sure my daughter is healthy keeps me goin.

Sew Love For Love
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewloveforlove
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
hjk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgle3 View Post
I about cried last night at whole foods trying to find snacks and a bag of cookies. I have had such a sweet tooth since she was born and am a big baker, so I am dying without my treats. I would give a kidney for a muffin right now. I guess I'm going to have to sort out where to buy all the specific things to start baking dairy and soy free goodies. I will say, the whole Oreo thing just changed my whole world right now. I plan on getting some tomorrow!
As for more sweets...you can "fix" a lot of your normal recipes once you figure out what your LO can handle...for example, Ghiradelli's semi sweet chocolate chips are "safe" if your LO does okay with traces of cross-contamination. For butters, this is copied and pasted from the MSPI Mama blog I linked to in an earlier post:

Bestlife Foods Buttery Spreads, Fleischmann’s Unsalted stick margarine, Blue Bonnet Light stick and tub margarine, and Smart Balance Light tub margarine. For baking, I get better results when I substitute butter-flavored Crisco for butter, rather than using margarine because there’s too much water in the margarine.

I learned to make my no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies using the Fleischmann's margarine and rice milk...and chocolate chip cookies making those adjustments, too. It's so do-able when you really "crave the cookie"!! And if I remember right, some of the Newman's Own mint-oreo-like cookies are safe, too! I remember when I learned Oreos were safe I started wondering what the ingredients WERE, then, if no dairy...and then I stopped wondering things like that and just ate them, LOL!

Please, if I owe you feedback it's not intentional and I LOVE a reminder! Thanks!
hjk is offline   Reply With Quote