Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Easy/inexpensive freezer recipes

Spaghetti sauce does well when reheated. (we don't like bottled)
Enchiladas

Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner Rolls
12 Rhodes rolls (or any frozen dough)
3/4 Cup grated cheese
1 Cup chopped ham or turkey
Enough mayo just to moisten and get stuck together

Thaw rolls and cut in half. Flatten in the palm of your hand and place a spoonful of mixture in the center. pinch sides to form a closed ball of dough, repeat until all are filled. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 14 to 18 min until lightly golden. Double or triple the recipe and use for later.

I have a few more but I don't have time right now to plunk them out. I have been just doubling the ammount of whatever dinner I cook each night, and instead of putting left overs away in the fridge, I just freeze them. I have picked up a few of those disposable casserole dishes, and have just been using those andfreezer bags. We have reheated a few and everything has done fine! It's also really good to just brown up a bunch of hamburger, and then you have it already cooked and you can use it in tacos, enchiladas,chili, spaghetti sauce, etc. Just make sure you completely cool it before you freeze it. I leave it out for about 2 hours after cooking and then put it in the fridge over night. If it doesn'tget condensation in the bag, you can just spoon out what you need from it without thawing it all.

Advertisement

luvnmyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great note on the condensation! I plan to have 10lbs+ browned before baby gets here I also think I am going to go to the meat market and buy premade frozen patties, as that is DH's favorite meal and I know he will cook it if I lay it out, even if I am busy w/ the baby!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
ktktbird
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great thread!!
This is a really stupid question... and not trying to hijack, but how do you freeze soup? Do you use freezer bags or tupperware??
ktktbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
mamamaggie
Registered Users
seller

I want to know how you all have so much room in your freezers? Mine is already full with no pre-made meals. Do you just not have any ingredients (meat, veggies, bread, stocks, leftover odds and ends to make stocks) and already have it all cooked?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
jpsgirl
Registered Users
seller

I am planning on making a bunch of freezer meals as well. So much easier for after baby is born and I don't want to cook. We've got a big freezer out in our garage that has a lot of room in it right now for me to fill it up. I am planning on making some spaghetti sauce, chicken/rice/veggie casserole, lasagna, one of my friends said that when she did this she just googled easy to freeze meals and got a lot of ideas.
jpsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaggie View Post
I want to know how you all have so much room in your freezers? Mine is already full with no pre-made meals. Do you just not have any ingredients (meat, veggies, bread, stocks, leftover odds and ends to make stocks) and already have it all cooked?
We have a giant chest freezer.... It's pretty handy!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beefy-M...ti/Detail.aspx

I used this recipe last night, but I used jumbo shells instead of manicotti because they're easier to stuff.... It is an awsome recipe!
luvnmyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm getting started on making some after baby freezer meals. We have a deep freeze and extra fridge in the garage to hold it all. I'm using throw away containers for easy clean up afterwards. I label each dish saying what it is, date it, and thawing/heating instructions. One easy way to feed the freezer is to make a double batch at supper time and freeze the extra one. Like tonight oldest dd made lasagna and fixed up an extra one for the freezer. Tomorrow night we're having chicken enchiladas, so one batch will be added to the freezer.

2 Lasagnas - 13x9s
2 Spaghetti Sauce - Gallon ziplocks
2 Barbeque Shredded Chicken - Gallon ziplocks
2 Boiled Shredded Chicken - Gallon ziplocks
2 Chili - Gallon ziplock
2 Chicken Enchilada Casseroles - 13x9
2 Beef Enchilada Casseroles - 13x9
1 Chicken Enchilada - 13x9
3 Dozen Blueberry Muffins - Gallon ziplocks
3 Dozen Applesauce Muffins - Gallon ziplocks
3 Dozen Oatmeal Cookies - Gallon ziplocks
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreck View Post
I'm getting started on making some after baby freezer meals. We have a deep freeze and extra fridge in the garage to hold it all. I'm using throw away containers for easy clean up afterwards. I label each dish saying what it is, date it, and thawing/heating instructions. One easy way to feed the freezer is to make a double batch at supper time and freeze the extra one. Like tonight oldest dd made lasagna and fixed up an extra one for the freezer. Tomorrow night we're having chicken enchiladas, so one batch will be added to the freezer.

2 Lasagnas - 13x9s
2 Spaghetti Sauce - Gallon ziplocks
2 Barbeque Shredded Chicken - Gallon ziplocks
2 Boiled Shredded Chicken - Gallon ziplocks
2 Chili - Gallon ziplock
2 Chicken Enchilada Casseroles - 13x9
2 Beef Enchilada Casseroles - 13x9
1 Chicken Enchilada - 13x9
3 Dozen Blueberry Muffins - Gallon ziplocks
3 Dozen Applesauce Muffins - Gallon ziplocks
3 Dozen Oatmeal Cookies - Gallon ziplocks
I never thought of freezing muffins and cookies!! Yum! Great idea. Oh and the other food sounds good too. The sweet stuff just caught my eye!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
I never thought of freezing muffins and cookies!! Yum! Great idea. Oh and the other food sounds good too. The sweet stuff just caught my eye!

I told the girls we have to wait till mid April to make the sweet stuff, so that we don't eat it before baby comes.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Katie- Most can be frozen in freezer bags and laid flat, so lots will fit. Other things, like casserolls you can freeze in aluminum foil inside a casserolle dish and then after it is molded the right way from being frozen, take it out and fold up aluminum foil. You can also do that with pie shaped foods...so you don't have tons of your own pans in freezer

mamamaggie- Ours is pretty full upstairs also with nuggets,fish sticks, frozen pizzas, waffles, toaster strudels....ect...all the store bought frozen stuff. Thankfully we are pretty close to the end of the grocery shopping time and it is pretty empty...so instead of buying anymore store bought frozen stuff for next month...I will have a meal (15 diff. recipes doubled to make 30 meals....each meal made to feed us for 2 entire days [2 dinners, 2 lunch]) in there...Everything I am making will be in one container/bag for each meal and not a bunch or seperate bags holding different ingrediants to make different meals. Everything will be already combined as directions say. If that makes sense....