Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Easy/inexpensive freezer recipes

I'm so tired...I hate this. LOL. Shopped yesterday. Cut all fresh veggies today (10lbs. potatoes, 5lbs. oninions. 2 large red peppers, 2 large yellow peppers, 3 large green peppers, 4lbs. carrots, 2lbs. celery) by hand (we don't have one of those cutting thingys), and figured out all my recipes and have them printed out with ingrediants that I want to use and not extras. Deer meat is all the meat we eat (unless MIL buys us something else....every blue moon), so tons of it is laid out to unthaw. Going in kitchen now, to seperate all ingrediants based on each recipe and make sure I have enough of everything and not too much meat laying out.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Have you ever tried the McCormick seasoning packages? Its anything from roast to stew to chicken. Most of it is "just add veggies and water". Some in the crockpot, some in the oven. Its basically like semi-homemade which is perfect for us. I don't have time to be doing a huge affair every night. As for frozen meals, try Stouffer's. We don't use a lot of these but I try to have at least one in the freezer for emergencies. By far the best store bought freezer meals (especially the lasagna). About $7 to $10 a meal and does feed the whole family. I will usually add a side of fruit or bread and call it good.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #23
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Great ideas here!

I didn't do this with DS1 so I guess I need to get on the ball this time.
Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
MamaSarahMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #24
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
I'm so tired...I hate this. LOL. Shopped yesterday. Cut all fresh veggies today (10lbs. potatoes, 5lbs. oninions. 2 large red peppers, 2 large yellow peppers, 3 large green peppers, 4lbs. carrots, 2lbs. celery) by hand (we don't have one of those cutting thingys), and figured out all my recipes and have them printed out with ingrediants that I want to use and not extras. Deer meat is all the meat we eat (unless MIL buys us something else....every blue moon), so tons of it is laid out to unthaw. Going in kitchen now, to seperate all ingrediants based on each recipe and make sure I have enough of everything and not too much meat laying out.
Ha ha, Lexy! We primarily only eat deer meat, too! Deer and elk. That's the first time I've heard of someone else. I think it's great... Good Job on getting all that stuff done You rock!
luvnmyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #25
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yesterday, I did:
-Shredded Chicken (bbq for sandwiches)
-Chicken Burritos
-Lasagna

I've been doing days where I prep everything (cook all the meat, and chop up veggies), and then the next following days, it's super easy just to throw all of the ingredients together... I'm loving getting a little stash done. It really puts my mind at ease. DH is getting surgery on his ankle and his shoulder on Apr 4, so he's not going to be much help with DS during dinner time when he is clingy... So on top of cooking for when baby is born, I'm trying to get ready for that!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #26
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

HAHAHA, me either! We can't afford store bought meat so when we hunt (both DH and I) each season we don't kill for size but for meat...so we got 6 deers last year (which is a really great amount for our size family right now) and cleaned and cut them up and seperated meat into sections and wrapped them (ughhh, took WEEKS...and it was during my 1st & beginning of 2nd trimester when I was exhausted)....so it was basically free for tons and tons and tons of meat, minus the freezer paper/tape and the bullets for the guns I wish DH was a fisher and we had a pond, because we love fish....but any wild game we will eat, just finding the time to try to go squirrel/deer/dove/rabbit hunting and frog gigging and fishing is nearly impossible, so we just put all our time towards the biggest game...deer. So cool that thats primarily what yall eat also!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #27
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thats great Luvnfamily! I was in the kitchen ALL day until around 1130pm and I am so tired today, but really want to just push myself to finish it off and be done with it today. The main problem I have in unthawing all this deer meat....it takes forever, doesn't unthaw in fridge (too cold) for days, and I can't lay it all out seperately because the cats will get into it.

Anyways, yesterday I did:
Tomato Soup with Basil (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Beef & Bean Enchiladas (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Lentil Soup (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Magnificent Casserole (feeds us for 2 full days [including lunch])
Mexican Corn & Eggs (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Beefy Rice Casserole (feeds us for 1 dinner)

So thats 11 nights that I have food in freezer for. Just 19 more nights to go. Ughhh
Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #28
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE deer meat! I much prefer it over beef, especially the cubed steak Unfourtunately, my husband is a "city boy musician" who has NO desire to hunt, and I only get it sporadically. I worked out a trade with a few friends recently, and got some ground venison and fresh frozen pork sausage in trade for some of my jellies! I have a guy who is going to take down a few deer for me this coming deer season, and there is a place in a nearby town that processes it for $65 a deer, no matter what cuts you get. I plan on filling my freezer slam full this late summer with fish (yeah, I have to clean them myself!) and then with that deer meat and chickens I kill at my folks, we should be set for the winter....I figure my freezer cooking now can help prep me for all that work I am going to do this fall, putting stuff up for the winter!

Sorry to hijack...I just get excited when I see others who eat game they catch/hunt/process themselves

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #29
stef.maska
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama's Be careful defrosting on the counter, meat can get to warm on the outside, and not be thawed yet. Which is a bacteria breeding ground.

I thaw in water! if your meat is food savered, or in ziplocks; Just pop it in a pot of cold water. It will thaw pretty fast. You might have to weight it down if it try's to float. I did a large beef roast in 3 hours th other day. Just check the water now and again so that it dosn't get to warm.

P.s. You prob don't remember me but I was with you ladies for a few months... back in the early fall, before my Molar pregnancy was diagnosed. I've been creepin ever since. So enjoy these last few weeks. I wish I was with ya, swollen feet, swollen crotch, swollen face, achey back and all! Cannot wait to see baby pics!
stef.maska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #30
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
Thats great Luvnfamily! I was in the kitchen ALL day until around 1130pm and I am so tired today, but really want to just push myself to finish it off and be done with it today. The main problem I have in unthawing all this deer meat....it takes forever, doesn't unthaw in fridge (too cold) for days, and I can't lay it all out seperately because the cats will get into it.

Anyways, yesterday I did:
Tomato Soup with Basil (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Beef & Bean Enchiladas (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Lentil Soup (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Magnificent Casserole (feeds us for 2 full days [including lunch])
Mexican Corn & Eggs (feeds us for 2 dinners)
Beefy Rice Casserole (feeds us for 1 dinner)

So thats 11 nights that I have food in freezer for. Just 19 more nights to go. Ughhh
If our meat is portioned in smaller portions, I just throw it in the pan frozen.... I think some people frown on that, but it's usually used in dishes that are going in the oven, too so I don't worry about it...

I'm with you on the expensive meat, though!! It's insaine. We're starting to run out of venison now, and having to buy beef... Puts a ding in the budget! When we move this fall we'll be able to hunt (maybe) DH will be able to get 2 elk and 1 mule deer, and I am going to get an elk! That should take care of us until the next hunt! I especially like that when you eat wild game, it's range fed! No hormones or antibiotics or nastiness! Definetly bebeficial