Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
africanNappy
Registered Users

Exclamation African Babies Home Making Cloth Diapers!

Hello!

I am an American Peace Corps Volunteer working on starting a cloth diaper income generating activity at the babies home I am stationed at in Uganda!

A little on the home:

We have upwards of 14 infants and 8- 12 toddlers living with us currently. That number tends to fluctuate as children are resettled with their next of kin or as we receive new babies. Our home follows UNICEF's "making families not orphanages" model. We generally resettle children with a remaining loved one (dad, aunt, grandmother, sister, cousin, etc) when they are 3 years old. This allows the child to get over the first few hurdles of life when they really need the hands on care that many of their families cannot give them at the time of their mother's death, abandonment, mental disturbance, what have you.

Right now they are using pre-folds stuffed into pants and you can imagine the hygiene hurdles we are over coming. We have sewing machines and a sewing teacher and the caregivers for the babies (The Mamas) are really interested in learning to sew. We couldn't think of a better project for them than effective nappies! Ultimately, my coworkers and I ( all Uganda excusing myself) are gunning to make 320 cloth diapers for the home to use. Then, the social worker and I would travel to area health centers to promote the product thus generating income for the home. Most infants don't use anything at all in Africa because they are outside all day. However, at night many families buy pampers which are incredibly expensive here and there is no waste management. Trash is burned by the ton or just left to rot. Cutting down on disposable diapers would be huge!

What I am looking for from you smart, sassy, and experienced cloth diaper ladies and gents is a polyurethane laminate (PUL) supplier. I have feelers out in Uganda but we're not coming up with anything yet. Colors or prints is not an issue at all, so whichever is the most affordable is going to be it. If they'd be willing to work with babies home for a discount on the fabric that'd be even more ideal. I'm trying to keep the price at or below 5,000 Ugandan schillings which is about $2. Daunting, I know. And most importantly they'd have to be able to ship to East Africa! I'm also hoping the lucky winning company can send me a free sample to try out before we bet the farm on this project. The Mamas need to see exactly what they'll be dealing with!

In short this project will improve hygiene for the home/surrounding villages, will give skill sets for the Mamas, provide income generation for the Home/Mamas, improve the environment (less trash to burn), and be sustainable!
Who wouldn't want to be a part of this?!

Phew! Sorry for the long post! Thanks for sticking with me!

Any information you geniuses have will be greatly appreciated! And as always, look me up when you're in Uganda!

P.S for those of you interested in the style of nappy we developed: It's a pocket nappy made out of terry cloth with flannel or microfiber inserts. We plan on getting the majority of our material (excluding the PUL) from local thrift stores and markets! The nappy has to be able to be hand washed and lined dried.

Advertisement

africanNappy is offline   Reply With Quote