Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why no vit. K at birth?

Not trying to start a debate, but just genuinely curious why some people refuse vit K at birth..what are the pros? I refused the eye goop since I don't have any STDs and didn't see the point, we don't vax, but I did do the vit K to help with clotting for his bili test and others. So tell me - why not vit. K?

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Erinne
Registered Users

Re: Why no vit. K at birth?

We would have done it if my dd had had a lot of bruising or was somehow cut or whatever during her birth, but since she was fine, we didn't. No great "why we didn't" story, we just didn't think it was necessary.
ETA: We did do the PKU test at, I think, 3 days, but her blood clotted so well that they had trouble getting enough for the test. It seems to me that the main reason to do it would be if the baby were having surgery or being circumcised or something, but just a needle-poke isn't going to cause a healthy baby to bleed all that much.

Last edited by Erinne; 03-20-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With baby #1 and #2, we gave it only because I didn't really question anything at that time.

With baby #3 we weren't planning on having it done, but because he was so bruised up from coming so quickly, we decided to go ahead with it.

With baby #4, we refused it. Our nurses/doctors didn't even question our refusal at all. I think we may have signed a waiver or something, but that was it.

I refused it because it just didn't seem necessary.

(we would have gotten it IF we circumcised, but we don't)

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got it as a precaution because I was on bp meds at the time. Had I not been on meds I would have declined it.

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that evolution has some reason for babies to be born with lower levels of vitamin K at birth and though I don't know that reason, I don't see any need to mess with nature in this instance. *shrug
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Vit K really isn't necessary unless baby had a traumatic birth OR you are circumcising. I wasn't educated prior to my third baby, and I tried to refuse with her, but the hospital sent a Dr in who recited every horror that could happen without the (risk free!) shot, and I knew he had gotten to my DH, and I was exhausted, so I consented. I wish I'd stood my ground though.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Not trying to start a debate, but just genuinely curious why some people refuse vit K at birth..what are the pros? I refused the eye goop since I don't have any STDs and didn't see the point, we don't vax, but I did do the vit K to help with clotting for his bili test and others. So tell me - why not vit. K?
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;112/1/191

I had it will all 3 of mine, and only one of them was a "traumatic" birth. I don't really care for that term, personally, in regards to his birth. He was a brow presentation and face up, so he was born looking like a Klingon. He had a huge bruise and swelling over most of his face, and my antibody screen was positive, so his billi shot through the roof. Likely the huge bruise did not help. But anyway, for me, the "risks" of the shot were not as great as the risks of not getting it.

We do the eye stuff, too, but mostly because it's just a topical antibiotic, and not a big deal at all. I refuse almost all testing while pregnant aside from a blood test and ultrasound, so as far as my OB's are concerned I could have an STD and not know it, and they don't know it, either. But we also fully vax, so I guess our way of thinking about these things is different than a lot of other families.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

I declined it with my kiddos. I would have used oral vit k drops if we had a very traumatic birth, but both of mine came out relatively easy and quick so I was not concerned at all. DD2 did have some bruising on her head because she came out SO quickly (she was born in less than two hours from when I went into labor, and there was no pushing, she litterly just flew out and flopped onto the bed. lol) but it wasn't severe enough for me to be concerned.

We avoid any unnecessary additions to our body. I trust my body, and my childrens bodies. While I do feel there are times where intervention can be helpful, they all come with risks (and unknowns) and I am only willing to take on those risks if there is a clear reason for a clear outcome.

Last edited by ktmamma; 03-21-2011 at 07:58 AM.
ktmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

We did oral Vitamin K
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't do it because there was no signs of bruisings, scratches or bleeding. We didn't circumcise and we didn't do the PKU until much later. My MW carries it with her just in case.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote