Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
moles get bigger from pregnancy?

I have a mole on my scalp. No one can see it since it's covered with hair, and it is flesh-colored. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Well, it has definitely grown the last few years; it actually looks like a mole-on-a-mole now if that makes any sense (or more like siamese-twin moles). Ok, anyway, I saw a dermatologist in 2005 and she measured it and said it wasn't anything to worry about. Well, I can't remember if she said that pregnancy can cause them to grow. I think I remember hearing that somewhere. I don't even know for sure if it's grown since 2005, but I do know that it's quite a bit bigger than it was 10 years ago. I've had 4 pregnancies since 2001.

I'm trying to get an appointment with my dermatologist and wouldn't you know it- the office is closed today. Grrr... I'm the type who will go nutty all weekend waiting for Monday so I can call and get that appointment!

I think this time I'll ask for a copy of my records so I have all the measurements (I have lots of freckles, a birthmark, and quite a few small moles that she watches).

Anyway, I'm paranoid since I have a family history of skin cancer and melanoma. Of course this mole has never seen the sun and there's no pigment in it, so I don't think it's a problem. But I'd like to get it checked again anyway. But in the meantime, if anyone knows more about stuff like this, please feel free to share!

Advertisement

3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
tonnabelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: moles get bigger from pregnancy?

I had a mole on my lower back that increased in size by almost triple when I got pregnant with my first. I actually had to go in and have it removed. The derm. told me that hormones cause an increase in mole size. There's also a paragraph on it in what to expect when you're expecting. Just to be safe, he did check it for cancerous cells, but that test was negative. Hopefully that'll ease your mind until you can get an appt. on Monday. HTH.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
foofoomomma
Registered Users
seller

My moles Definitely grew & I actually even got more... my grandma & mom have like 20 itty bitty moles speckled around their necks and I only had a couple before I got prego & now my neck looks like theirs!!
foofoomomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yep.. moles can grow, new ones can appear, I got a few skin tags from pregnancy and the worst thing was this terrible thing I got on my thumb that was a form of a mole, that kept filling up with blood and was HUGE, I wish I could remember what it was called! I had to have it removed, and it hurt and bled alot. I still have the spot from it and it still hurts a year and a half later!

ETA: I went searching and this is what I had: http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologi...granuloma.html Warning it is a little gross looking.

Last edited by fawnlovesjasper; 03-23-2007 at 09:27 AM.
fawnlovesjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad this was posted b/c I have a TON of moles and didn't really think anything when I noticed I had more when pregnant w/DD. Now that I'm pregnant again, I guess I'll probably end up being COVERED in them! LOL! I also have several members of family (mom, and her two sisters) had skin cancer, so I have to be watching out as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
yep.. moles can grow, new ones can appear, I got a few skin tags from pregnancy and the worst thing was this terrible thing I got on my thumb that was a form of a mole, that kept filling up with blood and was HUGE, I wish I could remember what it was called! I had to have it removed, and it hurt and bled alot. I still have the spot from it and it still hurts a year and a half later!

ETA: I went searching and this is what I had: http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologi...granuloma.html Warning it is a little gross looking.
wow, that sounds painful!

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
babyroosboutique
Banned

My Mood:

I have many more moles and freckles on my stomach and chest, and Ive never been freckly....... I also have lots more brown spots on my face...
babyroosboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was told that ANY time a mole changes shape, color, size..it needs to be seen.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i didnt know moles grew, i don't have many but glad i came and read this. hope your able to get it checked out fast pp
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
mom3girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a big one down below that was covered by hair and it got really big after my first pregnancy, so the DR refered ne to have it remouved, they tested it and it was not cancerous. It was a really easy in and out procedure the froze my sking and cut it out, not painful at all.
mom3girls is offline   Reply With Quote