Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Lenae
Registered Users

gCloth bunching

I started using cloth diapers for my DD two days ago. We went with gDiapers, even after reading mixed reviews, because my DH liked the idea of being able to use the gRefills when we go out. But I can't get the insert to quit bunching. Is this a common problem? I am pretty sure I'm doing it right, not too loose or tight, the gusset is tucked in her thigh like where underwear goes. DD is a pretty petite child, 27 inches and 19 lbs at 14 months old. I got her mediums, but they seem big. Could that be part of the problem? DD doesn't have particularly fat thighs, but she does have a big rounded belly.

Any sugggestions on how to fix the bunching? Am I doing something wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Lenae

Advertisement

Lenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: gCloth bunching

I really don't like the cloth inserts marketed by G Diapers.

We use size small flat diapers, from Green Mountain Diapers. They were $12 a dozen ($20 for organic), so it's not an expensive thing to try.

We just fold the flat in half twice to make a square, then into thirds to be the right size for the liner.

They do squish a bit in the crotch, but it's not a type of bunching that would interfere with absorbing, or fitting under clothes.

They're not fantastic diaper covers, but they're our daytime system because it's the easiest to change.

It sounds like you have the right size. We're using mediums ... DS is now about 20 pounds, 30" and we have been using them since 13 pounds.

We can't use G pants for our nighttime cover; instead we use Flip covers (which cost about the same). Whatever you insert in the G pants can go into a Flip.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
amf78
Registered Users
seller

Is it leaking? If not, it's probably not a problem. I loved gdiapers for DS. We mostly used gflappers from The Nappy Shoppe (sometimes the disposable inserts when we were out) to stuff with and they always bunched up. It wasn't really an issue for us.

Baby Boy #3 EDD 1/14/15
amf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

They bunch when they get wet. Only real solution with gcloths is to change when wet, otherwise expect bunching. I used Gs exclusively for a year and pretty much followed that mantra...change when wet. LOL!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it is pretty common with almost any insert in the g's just because the nature of the liner and babies legs squishing together....just like a sposie...as long as it doesnt cause leaks it isnt an issue ...just gotta change when it is wet we use trifolded prefolds in ours
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Lenae
Registered Users

Thanks for the input. They are leaking, but maybe two hours between changes is too long for my DD. I never really considered DD a heavy wetter, but maybe with cloth diapers she is...? Well, thanks again for the input. I really appreciate the help!
Lenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #7
mommieleah74
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I understand what you are saying and I think I have the same thing and it is when they get really wet. I change my lil man every feeding and that is every 2-3 hours. They work differently than disposables so you have to treat them as such. If you know that going in, things are great. I love my G's. I think everyone thinks that they are like the others and they aren't but every cloth diaper has pros and cons and you just have to know what it is you like and don't like. I think you probably need to maybe find and insert for her that is thicker because she is older. My lil guy is only just coming up to 6 months. We love our G's for the versitility of them but I know most people don't give them a chance.
mommieleah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
7lilpiggies
Registered Users
Formerly: 6lilpiggies
seller

My Mood:

go with a flip type cover with trifolded prefold or flat, you'll luv it !!!the mama made ones with a bigger flap are better. http://www.etsy.com/listing/69395251...facet=handmade these are all onesize i dont know if anyone makes them sized, here's a sized one i found http://www.etsy.com/listing/70471567...ref=v1_other_2 i make my own with a sized pattern. look in etsy for hybrid diaper i think i've seen em under that name

take the prefold fold it in 3

put in under flaps

have a unhappy baby cause she's being changed but a happy no leaks ever dipe

we went thru pockets, fitteds, ai2,aio wool, fleece, microfiber, microfleece, suede cloth crushed panne, gdipes. This is the best way to cloth dipe imo, we have hard water and only 100% cotton is what we can use, you could just wipe out the cover and insert a new prefold or hang and dry and swap out evo dipe change as the inside is pu and doesnt hold pee in it, i just use it like a pocket dipe tho, i like variety.

Last edited by 7lilpiggies; 03-22-2011 at 08:01 AM.
7lilpiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommieleah74 View Post
I understand what you are saying and I think I have the same thing and it is when they get really wet. I change my lil man every feeding and that is every 2-3 hours. They work differently than disposables so you have to treat them as such. If you know that going in, things are great. I love my G's. I think everyone thinks that they are like the others and they aren't but every cloth diaper has pros and cons and you just have to know what it is you like and don't like. I think you probably need to maybe find and insert for her that is thicker because she is older. My lil guy is only just coming up to 6 months. We love our G's for the versitility of them but I know most people don't give them a chance.
Well said!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
7lilpiggies
Registered Users
Formerly: 6lilpiggies
seller

My Mood:

you could try prefolds
7lilpiggies is offline   Reply With Quote