Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
jtcarter14
Registered Users

A cloth diaper to put over a disposable?

I know you all probably love cloth diapers. I just don't. I used them for a while, and I even tried them again for a short time recently. So please forgive me for using disposables...
My dd is a super soaker at night. I have a cloth diaper cover that I put over her disposable, but she soaks through that often. So what I was thinking is that maybe I could get a kind of thin AIO to put over the disposable? It would sort of be the opposite of what most people look for in a cloth diaper. I don't need it to be all that absorbent, and I don't want it to be bulky.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

Advertisement

jtcarter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Mama_scoutski
Registered Users
seller

Re: A cloth diaper to put over a disposable?

you should get a babyology, disana, sustainablebabyish, or tiny tush wool soaker. you can get used unpretties for cheap!
Mama_scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How old is DD and how often is she changed? Or is she STTN? Can you try the next size disposable? Or, depending on her age, an overnight disposable?

The only "solution" might be to do an AI2 system and put just a doubler in it? So it's not a full diaper, but you still have a cover and also some extra protection.

Maybe a BG Flip, Weehugger, etc.

ETA: Thinking about what PP suggested. It might be better to use a breathable fabric as a cover as disposables don't breathe very well to begin with. So wool might be a good solution there.

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
starstaindsky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Huggies overnights with a wool cover maybe?
starstaindsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say go for an interlock soaker as well and see how it works. Size down though as you won't need the extra space for the cloth diaper.

Otherwise, you could try some of the AI2 systems or put a doubler in the cover on top of the disposable for now and see if it helps.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Nachomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had success with Huggies overnights before we found the cloth system that worked for us for night. You could top that with a fleece cover, too, rather than wool. I super <3 wool, but I know it can be intimidating and costly.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
jtcarter14
Registered Users

She will be 2 in May, and she sleeps for a good 13 hours. Thanks for all the replies! Keep in mind, I don't know the lingo like most of you do.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
jtcarter14
Registered Users

The cover we have now is a Thirsties Duo Wrap. So, a fleece or wool cover would be enough to hold in any leaks, just that on top of the disposable?
I've tried other sizes of disposables and overnights. I could go up in size and use that with the cover I have, but I was just looking for other options and trying to save money.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcarter14 View Post
The cover we have now is a Thirsties Duo Wrap. So, a fleece or wool cover would be enough to hold in any leaks, just that on top of the disposable?
I've tried other sizes of disposables and overnights. I could go up in size and use that with the cover I have, but I was just looking for other options and trying to save money.
She leaks out of a disposable and a Thirsties? Honestly maybe you should try full cloth at nights. Why go through all of that and it doesn't even work? We use Flip Organics at night in a Flip, Econobum or Nikky cover. You could even throw a wool or fleece soaker over that. That's a small enough investment of you just picked up a couple. I'm not trying to convert you, I'm just wondering what kind of cloth were you using? We used to have leaks EVERY night with DS in Huggies and I finally said why on earth am I doing this. Now we have no leaks in cloth.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
wyatt09
Registered Users

My Mood:

huggies overnights diaper with a bulletproof wool cover
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote