Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
SwissOkie
Registered Users
seller

Intestinal gas, already gave up dairy

Hi Mammas,

My LO is 2 months old and we've been trying to combat her intestinal gas issues. I have been dairy-free for over 2 weeks and although it seems as though there are some improvements she still occasionally wakes herself up with gas and gas related pains. I'm thinking of trying to cut eggs out of my diet next to see if there are any changes.

Does anyone have any additional ideas of what foods I should try to avoid? I already avoid beans, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc.

Thanks!

Advertisement

SwissOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
bootiecutie
Registered Users

Re: Intestinal gas, already gave up dairy

wheat?
S, hippy-elitist-turned-semi-redneck mama to DD, 3, expecting #2 10/14/11
bootiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

soy?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
katherinekkm
Registered Users
seller

It can take up to three or four weeks for cow's milk protein to completely eliminate from your system, so I'd give it a couple of more weeks before you decide that going dairy free isn't working. My LO is also sensitive to dairy and it took at least three weeks before fussiness and gas related to cow's milk would settle. Good luck!
katherinekkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
2LittleAngels
Registered Users
seller

I had to stop drinking cows milk and other types of dairy also. DD's pediatrician said that cheese, yogurt, or any dairy where the lactose has been removed should be okay (in most cases in these types of dairy the bacteria in it ate up the lactose during the fermenting process like in yogurt, kefir, or cheese - but some yogurt contains more lactose than other yogurt). Once in a while I forget and have a soup with a milk base or half & half in it and my LO does get extra gassy again. Sometimes I've wondered if chocolate impacted my LO's gas, but am not sure on that. Also, DD #2's pediatrician said that as babies' systems mature and get better at digesting, there is less lactose left in their intestines for the bacteria in their intestines to eat and give off extra gas. I just thought that was interesting because I'd never heard that from DD #1's pediatrician. Good luck!

Last edited by 2LittleAngels; 03-22-2011 at 11:46 PM.
2LittleAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
SwissOkie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all,

After talking with a lot of mothers as well as a couple of doctors (not pediatricians), they all thought that my LO might show signs of gluten-intolerance, especially by having mucousy stools. I have been gluten-free for nearly a week and have already noticed a remarkable change in her stools, but she still has her occasional gas/cholic fits. I am still not consuming dairy. Thanks for your input.
SwissOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad the gluten-free seems to be helping. For my oldest, I had to drop peanuts and dairy - found out at 1 year that he was severely allergic to peanuts.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
AnthroMom
Registered Users

This isn't a food suggestion or comment but I have found that I can help relieve my son's gas pains with a pose from the Itty Bitty Yoga book (a book of yoga poses for babies from newborns through toddlers).

You lay your baby down on their back on a blanket or soft surface and slide your thumbs between the blanket and the underside of your baby's upper thighs. Let your fingers rest loosely on top of your baby's thighs. Slowly lift your baby's knees up toward his/her chest. Baby's hips can lift up too. Hold your baby's knees in toward his/her chest for 3 to 10 seconds. This aids baby's digestion. Slowly lower baby's thighs towards the blanket. Keep your hands cupped around baby's thighs as they extend. Repeat 3 to 10 times. (For a baby less than 8 weeks old you may just want to lift the hips although my baby has always liked his knees lifting too.)

I have found that this will not only help release a lot of gas, sometimes it helps relieve constipation so if you do this with an undiapered baby, say on the changing table, be prepared.
AnthroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
sillymcs
Registered Users

My LO had trouble with corn and soy which are most likely gmo. When we switched over to organic food we did not have that problem. If you ever decided to go with formula make sure to get the organic kind. It is the only way to avoid gmos.
sillymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was gonna say broccoli!

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote