Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

how's nursing going?

Just wondering how all the newbies are doing nursing?

Eloise is a challenge to nurse, but things are starting to improve slightly. She's so hard to latch and often I have to latch and relatch her so many times during a nursing session that it hurts. But at least I'm not scabbed and bleeding any more.

I call her my personal torture device

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Re: how's nursing going?

Not great. I posted over in Breastfeeding, we're really struggling after supplementing for jaundice. Not only will she not latch, she's still losing weight. Sigh. We're now dropper feeding to get completely off the bottle after trying a variety of approaches including using an SNS-etc.

Court

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kendall wants to nurse ALL.NIGHT.LONG. Seriously, every hour. When she first latches, the pain makes me want to cry. We are finally getting to a point where after the first minute or so, it doesn't hurt as much any more. But OMG, the latch is excruciating.

Yesterday was her 4 day check up, and she was back to her birth weight, so I guess she is getting something...

This isn't what they advertised in the The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding...
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-22-2011 at 06:26 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hang in there mamas!!

I had a rough start with JP ~ the first 24 hrs he slept so much and had such bad breathing problems, he hardly nursed. My milk to 2d longer to come in than with dd3 just 19m ago

I had a week or so of complete hell after he got the hang of it ~ dry cracked nipples,bleeding, etc. The lanolin worked wonders and actually need to go buy more...
He nurses every 2-2 1/2hrs for 30-60min during the day. His latch at night is killing me because he is still half asleep....lol

Other than that we are doing great.
I have to weigh him, not sure he is back to his birth weight yet or not, he lost a LOT in the hospital.
J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going good here. Ella literally trys nursing before she's even latched on. I'm talking sucking her little heart out with that rolled up tongue when she gets near me. She loves to nurse but I have so much milk she gets strangled a lot. Her latch is much better than at the hospital and she had gained almost a full pound in a week at her check-up. Guess I make butter instead of milk
Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So happy to join the thread! Cecilia IS a pro at nursing! Ever 2-3 hrs. It's great. Last night she nursed 2 timed between midnight and 7:30 am, and I woke her up at 7:30
She went to the doctor today and she is exactly back at her birth weight 3 days old. My milk came in yesterday. She went down 7 oz the day at hospital but it's back on.
Its fun to have big cha Chas again!

Sorry some of you are having trouble! Hang in there!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena View Post
So happy to join the thread! Cecilia IS a pro at nursing! Ever 2-3 hrs. It's great. Last night she nursed 2 timed between midnight and 7:30 am, and I woke her up at 7:30
She went to the doctor today and she is exactly back at her birth weight 3 days old. My milk came in yesterday. She went down 7 oz the day at hospital but it's back on.

agreed
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena View Post

Oh my so there's 2 Cecilia's in this DDC!! But I had to spell mine Cecelia (I had to compromise spelling for the name with DH)

My cha chas didn't get any bigger, they did for like a second then they went back to their normal size. Oh well they are big any way, I was scared about how big they were gonna get!

Cecelia is doing good with BF for the most part. Although lately she gets herself too excited and latches and then unlatches and then roots all over :sigh: But at least she's aggressive about it where DS was lazy and never did take to BF but this whole BFing thing is hard! But I'm gonna stick it out as I can. Pumping SUCKS! I'm trying to pump a little bit of a supply because I have a wedding Saturday so she's gonna stay with DH, I hope I have enough and it goes well.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm pumping some every day. I just have tons of milk and I'm pumping for relief. I mainly pump in the am b/c I am HUGE uncomfortable with milk. I dont pump a lot b/c I know I'll just make more milk. Right now I'm getting about 4 oz in 7 minutes and still huge afterwards. I frze my 62oz today and Ella will only be 2 weeks tomorrow. If my SIL doesn't need some of my milk w/ her new one due in 2 weeks(she didn't make enough last time and I donated her tons to feed the nephew) then I think I'll do milk share or something.
But yes, pumping is not fun. I'll be doing it all the time when I return to work full time toward the end of april.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle19 View Post
I'm pumping some every day. I just have tons of milk and I'm pumping for relief. I mainly pump in the am b/c I am HUGE uncomfortable with milk. I dont pump a lot b/c I know I'll just make more milk. Right now I'm getting about 4 oz in 7 minutes and still huge afterwards. I frze my 62oz today and Ella will only be 2 weeks tomorrow. If my SIL doesn't need some of my milk w/ her new one due in 2 weeks(she didn't make enough last time and I donated her tons to feed the nephew) then I think I'll do milk share or something.
But yes, pumping is not fun. I'll be doing it all the time when I return to work full time toward the end of april.
I will have to pump as well when I go back to work and I work 2-12 hour and 1-8 hour shift a week so we'll see how that goes. I'm afraid I won't last long after I return at the end of May.

I'm jealous you can get that much. Today I just got 2.5oz out of one pumping and I was excited about that! I hope this will increase or else I'm in trouble!