Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Re: how's nursing going?

We're doing good here. Emersyn instantly took to breastfeeding and has been doing great since. However, she has issues with breathing and sucking. I think most of it is my letdown, but she gets caught up and ends up choking on it. There for a few days she was throwing up everything she ate at each feeding, once we finally figured out what was going on though things started going great. I just have to pull her off to burp her every minute or two and let her catch her breath.

She is eating about 3 ounces every 2-3 hours, and I'm pumping like crazy and getting about 9 ounces at a time. I'm glad my supply is doing great but holy cow, my boobs are killing me at each feeding!

Advertisement

LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
Luna Lair
Registered Users
Formerly: MissHanson8
seller

My Mood:

My little guy (well, BIG 9 pounder at birth!) was just born early morning yesterday and my milk already came in today! It was sooo painful last night because he was eating non-stop so I got really sore but now we are all good! I think my boobs remembered really fast what they were supposed to do. I BF DD for 15 months before she weaned herself. Mommy and baby are happy campers tonigjt!!
Luna Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
zaeaton
Registered Users
seller

Uggh. I'm having problems nursing. I have plenty of milk during the morning/day and then come night I run out of milk and she gets SO mad. I've been on demand feeding trying to build up my supply. Tonight she ate for 2 hours straight and then had a 30 minute break then ate 30 minutes again only to pull of very mad. I know that I'm just empty at night (around 6pm to 12 am). It's SO frustrating. I don't make enough extra to pump anything extra so my only option is formula but I don't want to go there. It's nearly impossible to get her to go to sleep hungry. I would have thought my milk would have caught up to her demand by now, but it's just not. Any advice?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeaton View Post
Uggh. I'm having problems nursing. I have plenty of milk during the morning/day and then come night I run out of milk and she gets SO mad. I've been on demand feeding trying to build up my supply. Tonight she ate for 2 hours straight and then had a 30 minute break then ate 30 minutes again only to pull of very mad. I know that I'm just empty at night (around 6pm to 12 am). It's SO frustrating. I don't make enough extra to pump anything extra so my only option is formula but I don't want to go there. It's nearly impossible to get her to go to sleep hungry. I would have thought my milk would have caught up to her demand by now, but it's just not. Any advice?
This is EXACTLY how I was with my first 2! It was sooooo frustrating! I did end up giving a bottle of formula and would try to pump but would hardly get anything. I would end up PAINFULLY full in the morning and try to pump after a morning feed, but it didn't seem to help the evening supply. Both of them ended up self-weaning by 5 months. I was so sad. So, this time I am really hoping to avoid bottles, but we'll just have to see. I didn't do on demand with them as much, so this time I will just plan to sit in the chair nursing all evening for the first 6-8 weeks at least. I just wish my LO would arrive soon!! I am going CRAZY waiting. I feel like I can't take it another day! Hang in there. Hopefully someone will have better advice for you. I just wanted to tell you I understand! Oh, maybe try some of the more milk plus tinctures or mom's milk teas?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I do know that cluster feeding in the evenings is really common, and pretty much every woman has a lower supply in the evening, too. I don't know if I would assume that your supply is insufficient; she may just want to nurse for comfort all evening and maybe she is even mad that there is milk coming out. I would just keep nursing her in the evenings as much as she wants.

Sometimes my DD would nurse for hours in the evening, then urp up an enormous amount of milk (yuck!), and then want to nurse again right away!!! It was so frustrating.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Jude was born on Monday and my milk came in today... I am in a lot of pain though. He has a good latch and very strong suck, but was tongue tied and I have blistered and started to bleed, so it is pretty painful. I did go through very painful nipples with both of my others (dd was tongue tied, ds was not). We are going tomorrow to have his weight checked he was down 7% today, so I am really hoping that they don't push supplementing. I bf dd for a year and ds for 2, so I really want to get over this hump, but ugggg, man it hurts!!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i pumped yesterday one one side while Celilia nursed on the other. i got 4oz! so i let dh give her 2oz last n ight before i nursed her. I just want the bottle to be an option if something ever happened and she HAD to get a bottle. my other 2 never took a bottle and there was times it would have been good....long car rides, i wanna go to school ect....
and she sucked it down!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
jess08060
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I know that at the end of the day, mom's supply is lowest in the day due to activities, maybe you need to take it easy and eat and drink lots. I am also of the mind frame that your supply will be better not if you nurse her after only 30 minutes but waiting till it's meal time, maybe she's mad because she didn't really want to eat, maybe she just wanted to snuggle with someone. Mine does that and I have figured out that if it's not really a meal time and she is acting like that, she is really happy if I hold her and rock or snuggle. Good luck momma. True supply issues are rare, keep at it and your body and her will work out the supply issues :-)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #19
jess08060
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, mine does cluster feed in the evening, and she is a little frustrated with the lack of milk, I try to use breast compression to help her out. Her feedings before bed are about an hour to hour and a half apart.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

loved this link in pumping support sub forum
http://www.bcbabyfriendly.ca/whatsin...milkposter.pdf