Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Re: how's nursing going?

Kevin is 8 days old and we are doing pretty good. It took him a couple days to get used to nursing on the right boob. We would have to latch like 5 times before getting it right, but it wasn't too bad. The LCs were quite impressed and kept commenting on how I should join them and help them educate LOL They would just stand there and observe and watch me figure out how to handle the latch issue and so forth. they checked on me quite often. He did lose almost a pound by the second night, though. I don't know where he is weight wise right now. He goes for his checkup on thursday. He nurses like a champ now and my milk came in on day 3, so I am sure he is doing great. I've only relief pumped once cause I was SO full. I got 5 oz on each breast and only stopped cause the bottle would only hold 5 oz at a time. I forgot to put the milk in the freezer and forgot about it til the next day. in the trash it went. I've got a super supply, so I am not concerned. I do plan to pump a little here and there and build a small stash for DH to feed baby. DS never took a bottle and we want this once to be able to if the need arises.

Advertisement

My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

BFing has been a real struggle here. Davis finally has the hang of it more, but his latch isn't the best, and my biggest problem is that he constantly falls asleep at the breast without finishing. Then I don't know if I should wait for him to wake up and want more or should go ahead and pump. We had to supplement (I cried and cried) because he lost 12% of his body weight while in the hospital. We have another weight check tomorrow and I am so anxious to see if he's gaining well. He's only demanding a supplement 1-3 times a day now, anywhere from 1/2 oz. to 2 oz. after BFing. He does prefer breastfeeding, which I am really happy about. I just wish he wasn't such a lazy BFer. I worry if he's getting enough b/c his sucking can be weak and I don't hear a lot of swallowing. But his diaper output has been adequate. ??? Right now he's eating every hour. It's so exhausting! And he eats so slowly that a breastfeeding/getting him to wake up/breastfeeding/pumping cycle lasts about an hour and a half. Then it's time to start all over. It has gotten easier in the past week, but gosh, I hope it improves a lot more and I hope my milk comes in a lot stronger!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #23
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

My milk is just starting to come in today, but so far, so good. She has a good latch and she nurses well. The only problem is that she sleeps the day away and then wants to nurse every hour or more throughout the night! Also, she does better latching if I'm upright, so I have to get into a sitting position even in the middle of the night when I'm really tired. Soon I think she'll be able to latch laying on her side next to me, and that should make night-time feedings much better.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
Ola_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoo View Post
BFing has been a real struggle here. Davis finally has the hang of it more, but his latch isn't the best, and my biggest problem is that he constantly falls asleep at the breast without finishing. Then I don't know if I should wait for him to wake up and want more or should go ahead and pump. We had to supplement (I cried and cried) because he lost 12% of his body weight while in the hospital. We have another weight check tomorrow and I am so anxious to see if he's gaining well.
Hugs mama! I am in a very similar situation - Elizabeth lost 11% of her birth weight but I am having such a hard time getting her to latch too. We've been pumping and finger feeding and she has gained some but not as quickly as we'd like so we're on the edge of supplementing too. It has been so emotional for me also, I feel like I'm failing her and each weight check makes me stressed. I'm hoping that we can get some latching help and things will turn around but I'm sure it will be a lot of work to try and improve the situation.

Anyway, just wanted to send some hugs your way, it's a really tough place to be and you're doing an awesome job! Have you tried the breast compressions that Dr. Newman recommends? https://nbci.ca/index.php I believe the idea is to basically compress your breast to increase how much milk is coming out when the baby is sucking but not swallowing.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
Hugs mama! I am in a very similar situation - Elizabeth lost 11% of her birth weight but I am having such a hard time getting her to latch too. We've been pumping and finger feeding and she has gained some but not as quickly as we'd like so we're on the edge of supplementing too. It has been so emotional for me also, I feel like I'm failing her and each weight check makes me stressed. I'm hoping that we can get some latching help and things will turn around but I'm sure it will be a lot of work to try and improve the situation.

Anyway, just wanted to send some hugs your way, it's a really tough place to be and you're doing an awesome job! Have you tried the breast compressions that Dr. Newman recommends? https://nbci.ca/index.php I believe the idea is to basically compress your breast to increase how much milk is coming out when the baby is sucking but not swallowing.
Thanks. The weight check today was just barely okay - he's basically gained the minimum they need to see since last week - I'm just glad he's gaining. So we're going back next week, too, to keep tabs on it.

I am doing the breast compressions and wondering if I will ever be able to stop doing them because they get kind of old after awhile! I don't mind having to nurse so often as long as he gets his tummy filled. I just hate it when he's drained me dry and is still hungry and I have to give him formula.

Best of luck with your situation, too, and with all ladies having trouble. I guess I never expected this to be so hard.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #26
tiffybugg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoo

Thanks. The weight check today was just barely okay - he's basically gained the minimum they need to see since last week - I'm just glad he's gaining. So we're going back next week, too, to keep tabs on it.

I am doing the breast compressions and wondering if I will ever be able to stop doing them because they get kind of old after awhile! I don't mind having to nurse so often as long as he gets his tummy filled. I just hate it when he's drained me dry and is still hungry and I have to give him formula.

Best of luck with your situation, too, and with all ladies having trouble. I guess I never expected this to be so hard.
Hoping it gets easier for you!

Last edited by tiffybugg; 03-30-2011 at 08:39 PM.
tiffybugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #27
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why is nursing so hard!? With all of the struggles everyone has been having, it makes me wonder what people did in the olden days.

Things have been getting better for us. Only one of my nipples is bleeding now... And that's actually on the side she has a better latch on. I hope it will heal soon! But I think I'm going to try and see another lactation consultant. Our latch is just not very deep. We've gotten it a few times, so I know it's possible!
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #28
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

oh my goodness I have a crazy nurser today. All day he's nursed every 45 minutes to an hour!
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

myoo- have you tried taking Fenugreek? I took it to help my supply w/ ds and it really helped. I have also gotten More Milk Plus (that has a few other herbs) but haven't tried it yet... I will let you know how it compares, but I highly rec. trying to up you supply (I hated the idea of supplementing too).
Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #30
DaisyGraceBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: AutumnRoseJewelryCo
seller

Daisy Latched right on at about 20 minutes old, but tore my nipples up! We used a shield after that until yesterday, the LC was able to help me get her latched correctly without it and I'm over the moon with my first baby I had to use a shield the entire 8 months that I nursed him and believe me that's a pain in the butt.

Daisy nurses great and often during the day. Sleeping about 5-6 hours at night. She has lost a little weight though and our ped was having us supplement after every feeding but the LC got the ped to lift that after our nurse&weigh session yesterday. She gained 4oz while eating! Whew! Now I'm just trying to beef up my supply for pumping. I'll return to work/school on May 1st.

Autumn-Rose: Mama to Houston & Daisy-Grace
Nursing Necklaces . Mama Cloth & Fleece Soakers
ISO/IHA
DaisyGraceBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote