Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
lexismommy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bumgenius 3.0 users... a few questions...

I finally decided to try some clearanced bumgenius 3.0 deluxes from cotton babies for our first cloth diapering experience. I have some questions for those that use them.

How long does the diaper usually last you with no extra doublers/inserts? I'm use to changing every 2-3 hrs with disposables, but I'd like to know I don't have to watch the clock.

Which inserts do you use inside of the pocket for naps and overnight? I need the diaper to last 3-3.5 hrs during naps and 12-13hrs at night. What trim inserts do you recommend for naps and overnight? They can be totally different for each.

How are they holding up? I only bought enough to wash every other day and I'm wondering if they can handle that kind of abuse from constant washing.

Do you line dry or use the dryer? I've read lots of things about the aplix not holding up. When I talked to their CS, they said it's the new 4.0 applix, so I'm wondering if they can be dried every other day and still stay sticky.

What's your wash routine like? I read part of a super long thread yesterday about washing cloth dipes and it said hot rinse, hot wash and 2 more hot rinses. Does anyone use all hot wash and rinse cycles and how does it work for you?

Are there any pros/cons of these diapers that you can think of that might help a new user?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!!!

Advertisement

lexismommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
gaia06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bumgenius 3.0 users... a few questions...

I finally decided to try some clearanced bumgenius 3.0 deluxes from cotton babies for our first cloth diapering experience. I have some questions for those that use them.

How long does the diaper usually last you with no extra doublers/inserts? I'm use to changing every 2-3 hrs with disposables, but I'd like to know I don't have to watch the clock. depends on the kid...with my older DD I put an extra doubler or two in there and that would last about 2 hours before she needed a change...with my 4 month old I dont need a doubler at all and it holds her half the night...but she isn't a heavy wetter

Which inserts do you use inside of the pocket for naps and overnight? I need the diaper to last 3-3.5 hrs during naps and 12-13hrs at night. What trim inserts do you recommend for naps and overnight? They can be totally different for each. for my older DD I put a babykicks joeybunz hemp insert under the regular insert and that held her for naps/overnight...my little one doesn't need any extra inserts at the moment

How are they holding up? I only bought enough to wash every other day and I'm wondering if they can handle that kind of abuse from constant washing. I wash every other day and my 3.0s are going on 2 years...but they were not used for more than naps/overnight when my DD was PLing last year so it was not consistent use for those 2 years...they are still going strong, no issues with the velcro at all though

Do you line dry or use the dryer? I've read lots of things about the aplix not holding up. When I talked to their CS, they said it's the new 4.0 applix, so I'm wondering if they can be dried every other day and still stay sticky. For the most part I line dry...but during the winter I put them in the dryer quite a bit

What's your wash routine like? I read part of a super long thread yesterday about washing cloth dipes and it said hot rinse, hot wash and 2 more hot rinses. Does anyone use all hot wash and rinse cycles and how does it work for you? I have an HE FL and I do a cold rinse and then a Hot/Cold wash on bulky with an extra rinse (I use Ecover laundry wash and use the recommended amount...I dont cut down like they say to sometimes with an HE FL)

Are there any pros/cons of these diapers that you can think of that might help a new user? I LOVE these diapers...they are trim and they fit well and they have never had any leaking issues for us...win, win win!

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!!!
gaia06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use mainly 3.0s. I think they hold up great, DD is 15 months and we have been using probably since she was 2 months. I line dry the shells and dry the inserts in the dryer because they take too long on the rack.

As for changing time, depending on your kid 2-3 hours should be ok. There have been times on accident fiona has gone longer than that with no leaks, we never use doublers only the one size insert. I can't speak to naps because DD only takes hour naps and I never put out a nap diaper and nights she wears fitteds and wool.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

I have 3.0's and use them for my DS. He's 6 months and right now I just use the small insert and change him ever 2 hours or so. He's not a heavy wetter though. My DD used them when she was 22 months on and she often leaked out with just the regular large insert. I used the large, small insert and then bg doublers.
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
jethrosmom
Registered
seller

I use the 3.0's on my 15 week old son who is a pee-ing machine with the microfiber insert that comes with it and it holds him throught the night without leaks (6-8 hours).
Sorry, but I am not waking a sleeping baby to change him every 2-3 hours if he is not leaking. I use the BG Elementals/Organics during the day but these would not last through the night without a doubler.
jethrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
ckumelos
Registered Users
seller

We use almost exclusively 3.0's.
Ive had a few leaks, but nothing that gets irritating, maybe 2-3 times per month. I don't really watch the clock, more I watch what LO's are drinking. 2-3 hours is about the amount of time I go between changing. UNLESS LO has just downed a sippy...

For overnight I use a doubler, for all other times, I just use the adjustable insert.

I have some that are over three years old, and in great condition, although with my first child I likes prefolds and covers better for her. I think the worst mistake people make with their BG's is pulling them too tight. It wears the elastic faster and puts too much stress on the PUL. There is no need to pull these tight like a sposie.. I don't think washing is the major cause of wear in a BG.

I line dry in summer, low heat in dryer in winter. I use a HE FL in the summer with an extra warm rinse. In winter I use a regular wash with a hot wash, warm rinse, cold rinse. Cold rinse is important for removing detergent residue.

Again, I will advise not to pull them too tight when they are on. If they are leaving marks on the baby they are too tight. You will wear the elastic and the PUL by having these cinched on too tight.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
lexismommy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of your recs/suggestions so far! I love gathering info from experienced users, so keep the responses coming if you can. Thanks!
lexismommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long does the diaper usually last you with no extra doublers/inserts? I'm use to changing every 2-3 hrs with disposables, but I'd like to know I don't have to watch the clock.
With only one insert, my 8 week old can go up to 3 hours before *I* get antsy and change him. I can generally tell by feeling him that he's wet, though.

Which inserts do you use inside of the pocket for naps and overnight? I need the diaper to last 3-3.5 hrs during naps and 12-13hrs at night. What trim inserts do you recommend for naps and overnight? They can be totally different for each.
Honestly, I'm still feeling my way through the whole extra insert/doubler thing. The only thing I do differently for night time is us the toddler sized insert, with the doubled over part in front. He's not a super-soaker, though. YET. haha.

How are they holding up? I only bought enough to wash every other day and I'm wondering if they can handle that kind of abuse from constant washing.
I've had mine about a month now, and I wash every other day. I do have some other diapers in my stash, so they do get a bit of a break, but the majority is definitely the bGs as they are daddy-friendly. So far, so good.

Do you line dry or use the dryer? I've read lots of things about the aplix not holding up. When I talked to their CS, they said it's the new 4.0 applix, so I'm wondering if they can be dried every other day and still stay sticky.
I use my dryer, on medium, for probably 45-50 mins. After that, I pull them all out and let them air dry. Again, so far so good!

What's your wash routine like? I read part of a super long thread yesterday about washing cloth dipes and it said hot rinse, hot wash and 2 more hot rinses. Does anyone use all hot wash and rinse cycles and how does it work for you?
My wash routine is a cold wash/cold rinse with detergent to break up the poo and do a general rinse off (and about once a week I add a bit of TTO and oxyclean); hot wash/cold rinse with detergent; and a cold wash/cold rinse cycle with no detergent (I consider this my "extra rinse").

Are there any pros/cons of these diapers that you can think of that might help a new user?
The only thing I can think of is that they can be bulky, but not overly. And that you should be careful to not put them on super tight, especially if yours has chunky thighs like mine. On the plus side, I have NEVER had a leak/blowout -- whereas every single time I have a sposie on the baby and he poos it is EVERYWHERE.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, I'm fairly new to CD and bought the 3.0 deluxe AIO's and they are ALL I have in my stash so far. I DO NOT LIKE THESE FOR OVERNIGHT!!! If baby lays down with BG tag side down, it wicks the pee (even a little pee) right through the tag onto his clothes and sheets and my LO (3 months old) wakes up crying EVERY time (he hates being wet). That being said, they work great during the day for about 2-3 hours without a doubler. I use HempBabies doublers (bought at cottonbabies) for naps (lay him on other side because he can't roll over yet) and for outtings and haven't had a leak yet. The HempBabies doublers are AWESOME...they soak up a lot of pee and keep LO nice and dry bc it pulls the wetness right out of the terry too! I'm still looking for an overnight solution since my LO is allergic to disposables and he just started sleeping through the night (8hrs). Good luck. I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find that works for overnight.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 03-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
mom22boysand1girl
Registered Users
seller

We only use BG at home. I have 12 diapers now in my stash. Some I have been using for 18 months, others are sized so not as long. We love them.
They have held up just fine. We wash every other day now. I only line dry. I always wash on hot and do a cold rinse. We used to use special detergent and started to get ammonia burns so we switched to original tide powder and no problems at all.
These are great diapers and if you take care of them they will last your whole cding time.
mom22boysand1girl is offline   Reply With Quote