Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
kristin0907
Registered Users
seller

Stripping Sunbaby Diapers

Can someone tell me if Sunbaby diapers need stripped and if so, how to do it? I'm new to CD (baby due July 1) and I just ordered a dozen Sunbabies. Thanks!

Advertisement

kristin0907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
twinkerbell
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stripping Sunbaby Diapers

Stripping usually only needs to be done when there is build up on the diapers. If they are new you should only need to prep them. Since they are microfiber and not natural fibers you should only need to wash them once and they should be good to go!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
beccatown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They need to be stripped. They initially repel water and have a smell to them. I just put in a little Dawn and that worked great. No problems over here.

Lane Louise Grace born 04/05/2011
beccatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccatown View Post
They need to be stripped. They initially repel water and have a smell to them. I just put in a little Dawn and that worked great. No problems over here.
Uh, why would you have to strip a brand new diaper? Wash them once in hot with your desired detergent and they'll be fine.

FWIW, if you pour water on fleece, it WILL bead up. The reason that pocket diapers work is because the baby is putting pressure on it AND the force of the urine allows it to go through the fleece and into the microfiber insert.

As the PP mentioned, "stripping" is only if you get detergent build up. Usually making sure you rinse adequately will prevent the build up. We've been CDing for 7 years and I've only had to "strip" once, and that was because MIL used dreft and fabric softener.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
LeahSylina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccatown View Post
I had the same issue with my sunshine ebay diapers. Couldn't figure out why they were leaking all the time right after we started using them. It took a good 5 - 6 washes before they stopped leaking and whatever was on them got on some of my other diapers and that took a little while to come off as well. I didn't realize what had happened until after the fact when I read a similar post on here about someone having the same problem and someone mentioned about the strange coating on them. A quick stripping in dawn would have been a lot quicker and easier than getting so many leaks.
Leah, loving wife to Nathan. CDing mom to two beautiful kids, Gabriel Thomas (4/13/09) and Elena Grace (5/6/2010) since 11/2010. Expecting #3 in February 2012!
LeahSylina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
karaboone
Registered Users
seller

with all my sunbabies (we have over 60!) all ive had to do is wash them one normal cd cycle and we were golden!
my cycle is as follows
stain cycle :: hot water :: detergent :: rinse
speed cycle :: hot water :: no detergent :: rinse

ISO/IHA (diapers!!) List :: FS: Baby Legs, Jewelry & More Here!
karaboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I agree strip them with dawn a few times (3) it will get rid of the smell and the issue with the urine coming through the sides. I have 8...and I was worried till they went through the wash a few times!
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I got my brand new sunbabies I washed them using my normal wash routine once before he wore them and they worked fine They did seem to get more absorbent after a few more washes but they never repelled and the only time I have had a leak is if the insert is bunched.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
tjsacosta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think alot of mommas get prepping and stripping confused. For a brand new microfiber diaper you need to put them through 2-3 NORMAL washes with thte detergent you would normally use. Dawn really only needs to be used if you have build up. RLR can also be used to strip. I have NEVER had to strip a new microfiber pocket diaper I have always just run it through 2-3 normal washes and they worked wonderfully.
tjsacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
cicada
Registered Users

When I got my sunbaby diapers, I only washed them once and put them on DS but they leaked everytime, insert was not getting wet.. After more than 5 hot washes they are fine.. If you don't want to change cloths constantly, I recommed stripping them or prepping whichever you want to call it ..
cicada is offline   Reply With Quote