Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
MamaQuan
Registered Users

Solids Aren't Too Far Away

My DS is almost 5 months old and is getting curious of food. I'm not gonna start him on solids until he starts begging for it and even then I will do baby led solids. I think I'm going to invest into a diaper sprayer because I'm not keen on the dunk and swish method. This is my first in CD and I've never really paid attention to the poo in sposies with my older two; but, with CD, they are going to have to be cleaned a little more thorough. (I read the post of corn and pea shells being left behind in the washer, amoung other foods that make yuckier poos.)

My question is this: If I spray off the poo solids and stick it in the wet bag, wet, do the diapers not tend to mold during the 2-3 days in between washing?

I'm currently EC'ing and hoping I can start catching his poo's before getting to the toddler, solid food stage.

Advertisement

MamaQuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Solids Aren't Too Far Away

well, i don't use a diaper sprayer, just dunk and swish (i wanted to, i really did, bought it and everything, but then we couldn't install it in our apt toilet, and now that we're getting to move to a place where we could install it, eh, i've been dunking and swishing for a yr, the time has passed ) but, we still have the wet, previously poopy diaper in the wetbag issue, and no, we haven't had any issues with mold at all. i will say, and maybe that's contributing to it, but ever since solids became the main part of ds's diet (around 10-11 months) i find that it's a lot harder to get the diapers really clean. we've had to stop using soapnuts and go to all free and clear, along with some vinegar in the rinse. otherwise they just don't seem to get clean enough. like i said, it didn't become an issue right away, because at first, he wasn't eating much, just trying things out. but over time i started noticing it, and he started getting rashes. so, just something to look out for
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
MamaQuan
Registered Users

Thank you so much! That was super helpful.
MamaQuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really like my diaper sprayer but what made cleaning the poo easier was diaper liners.
You can cut up fleece or use old t-shirts, anything really and lay it in the diaper. When baby poops, that's really all you have to clean is the liner, much easier than an entire diaper imo.
There are disposable liners out there but I have never found one that is very sturdy or catches all the poo. I also find it a little pointless to use something disposable in reusable diapers when I am trying to cut down on the waste we create, kwim?
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
practicingjoy
Registered Users

Liners are great, though I don't remember to put them in enough, so I'm usually dunking in the toilet (would be nice to have the sprayer). Haven't noticed more stink since starting solids, but some foods definitely stain... like beets (try golden beets, instead... much less messy). I've never had any mildew and I keep my diapers in the bag for up to 4, even 5 days, sometimes.
practicingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never used a sprayer but using a liner can help tons.