Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
OrganicWestCoastMama
Registered Users

What more kills mosquito larvae in standing water? Bleach? Peroxide? Vinegar? Etc?

I would like to make sure that the local mosquitos are not able to use some buckets of water that we currently have around the outside of our house as breeding pools.

I know the best route would be to get rid of the standing water, which hopefully I will be able to do over the next few weeks, but for now I am looking for an alternative.

What more natural agents can I add (and how much per liter or gallon of water) to prevent their eggs & larvae from surviving? My thoughts were bleach (probably most effective), peroxide (would probably have to add a lot), vegetable oil (to suffocate them - I have seen references to mineral oil working), tea tree oil (may just float at the surface and stick to the sides of the container), vinegar (not sure if this would would, but would be the most natural), dish soap (???), borax (???), other???

I see a publication from 2 professors at Cornell University (Robert Matheson & E.H. Hinman) that borax at 1.5 parts per 1000 parts water is quickly fetal to mosquito larvae (wiggler stage)... what amount of borax would this be per gallon of water (anyone know?) I don't mind using borax, as it is in our laundry detergent anyway (I assume DS is exposed to a small amount even though I double rinse) and it should eventually be rinsed away from the grass with the rain.

How safe really is this Bt bacteria used to kill mosquito larvae? I know it is what Monsanto genetically engineers into it's corn as an internal pesticide. DS will be playing on the grass around where the water will enventually be dumped and it is close to our organic raised bed vegetable gardens (and there is A LOT of water to be treated, and dumped eventually in a few weeks.)

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

Last edited by OrganicWestCoastMama; 03-22-2011 at 11:06 AM.
OrganicWestCoastMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: What more kills mosquito larvae in standing water? Bleach? Peroxide? Vinegar? Etc

Dish soap might be your best bet, or oil. Bleach and peroxide both break down very quickly, so unless you want to keep adding it over and over, then go with something that won't break down so well. I believe in the DC area they used oil to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in the water in an effort to curb malaria. IIRC the guy's name was Walter Reed who was the one to really figure it out, so perhaps search for it and you might find some more info that may help you.

Walter Reed is also a military hospital, so perhaps take Army and Hospital out of your search. Of course I could be way off base here. GL.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
OrganicWestCoastMama
Registered Users

Re: What more kills mosquito larvae in standing water? Bleach? Peroxide? Vinegar? Etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Dish soap might be your best bet, or oil. Bleach and peroxide both break down very quickly, so unless you want to keep adding it over and over, then go with something that won't break down so well. I believe in the DC area they used oil to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in the water in an effort to curb malaria. IIRC the guy's name was Walter Reed who was the one to really figure it out, so perhaps search for it and you might find some more info that may help you.

Walter Reed is also a military hospital, so perhaps take Army and Hospital out of your search. Of course I could be way off base here. GL.
Good thoughts. Thanks so much! I am hoping to use these water bins (big rubbermaid containers) for storing fabric and stuff inside later. Oil will take a lot more effort and dish soap to wash out of them than something that is more water soluble... that's my only concern with the oil. Otherwise vegetable oil sounds perfect! Does anyone know if dish soap works for sure to kill mosquito larvae? Thanks!

Last edited by OrganicWestCoastMama; 03-22-2011 at 11:52 AM.
OrganicWestCoastMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Myles_104
Registered Users

Dish soap probably wouldn't kill the larvae, but what it does is break the surface tension of the water so that the adults can't land there and lay the eggs.
If you keep your container covered with mesh, they can't get in to lay eggs either.
Myles_104 is offline   Reply With Quote