Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Re: Shettles method..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmonkey View Post

After dealing with infertility for over 6 years, my thinking is you are either gonna have a boy or a girl and one should take that blessing and love him or her because they were blessed to conceive!
wanting to have a specific gender does not mean one will not love that blessing no matter what. I've always wanted a girl. i just had my 3rd boy the other day. I certainly do not love my boys any less because they are boys. I love them to pieces no matter what.

Advertisement

My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

if you are going to do shettles, you need to do all aspects of it. timing alone won't get you far. According to shettles timing, this precious 3 day old boy in my arms should be a girl. I assure you, he is not! LOL
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
AnotherNoVaMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Shettles has been conclusively debunked. I recently read a book called Pink Brain, Blue Brain by Lise Eliot and she gives citations to all the studies that have been done on gender selection, which show that Shettles' theories weren't correct. Of course any "method" will be successful half the time, which is why Shettles lives on!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNoVaMama View Post
Shettles has been conclusively debunked. I recently read a book called Pink Brain, Blue Brain by Lise Eliot and she gives citations to all the studies that have been done on gender selection, which show that Shettles' theories weren't correct. Of course any "method" will be successful half the time, which is why Shettles lives on!
Do you have the study? I am really curious (it is the biologist in me and I tried this with success--10 kids later)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have had success every time with Shettles-at least the timing part. And not always on purpose. lol

DS 1 was the result of a 1 night fling with a friend (and a condom!). When I was about 4 months along, I got curious and went back...I knew what day we did *it* and when the first day of my last period was, so I was able to pin point that I conceived on the day I ovulated (hows that for luck, haha).

DD 1 I honestly don't know, since she was conceived 4 days after a D&C. I was in absolute shock that I got pregnant again so fast.

DD 2 was conceived 4 days before O. I know because I was trying to conceive with her and was mad because my ex had very little interest in sex and didn't want to do anything for a good week after that time (and a good week before). So, not perfect timing, but still.

DS 2 was conceived on the day I O. We were trying for a boy using the Shettles method, though I was hoping we'd overshot it by a day. I got a positive 2 days in a row and we did stuff the 2nd day, but apparently my egg was still hanging out, lol. (This sounds bad but I didn't really want to have another one at this point...I had made an agreement with my ex and he did his part, much to my surprise, so I gave in. And shouldn't have, as much as I love my ds )

DD 3 was conceived about 5 days before I O. I was on the pill but had just weaned my ds, so I was slightly nervous about it. I decided not to do anything for the 5 days leading up to O and the day after and apparently that AND the pill wasn't enough to prevent her from happening, haha. It was the mini pill though, which is why when I weaned, I was worried, and tried to go get the regular pill and my eldest dd being a pain in the butt made me miss my appointment and...ugh...I think she was just meant to be. lol

I also had a surrogate baby, but that was through IVF so that doesn't count. This next one will be my egg (she can't get anymore), so keep an eye on my siggy. I'll be sure to put it in there if it works again or not (they want a boy, since the first one was a girl...though of course they don't REALLY care either way, we're just going to try to push the odds a little, hehe).

Ftr, I do think that internal chemistry can have a lot to do with it too. I've known people who end up with all the same sex and I often wonder if perhaps the mama has an internal environment that favors one or the other. Maybe not, but it'd make sense. That or luck, haha.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think his methods have mostly been disproven.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
@docnemesis: actually your theory with the mothers internal environment favoring one or the other could hold water. Since sperm are very fickle even a degree or a slight change in pH could kill off ( or seriously inhibit the motility) a certain gender.

I know this was a silly question, I just love science and thought maybe there was something I couldn't see here. I love all the stories!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #18
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

For ds2, we tried for a boy. Judging by ovulation timing, ds3 was going to be a boy too.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #19
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had read about it and all the factors involved. We were seriously going to try to follow it to conceive a girl but in the end didn't have enough patience. Following the Shettles guidelines, our most recent baby should definitely have been a boy, but we have the little girl that our older DD was praying for!
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. We DTD a few days off from ovulation just to see if it was correct and we had a boy.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote