Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #11
nenekins
Registered Users
seller

Re: Now that Im here in Honolulu...please share where to go for

I appreciate this thread so much! lol.

I'm in Kaneohe (MCBH) but I'm always looking for a reason to get out and around!

Advertisement

nenekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
doulaK
Registered Users
seller

I second the Aiea Bowl, yummy food there as well.
doulaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Socalwahine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahh the island has so much fun stuff Nice to see a list since alot of the stuff I have yet to see. Lived there a year and just discovered baby awearness. They offer babywearing hula classes I have two more years to go so let's see what else there is to discover

DD born 2/6/11
,, and BW mommy
Socalwahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
Socalwahine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahh the island has so much fun stuff Nice to see a list since alot of the stuff I have yet to see. Lived there a year and just discovered baby awearness. They offer babywearing hula classes I have two more years to go so let's see what else there is to discover

DD born 2/6/11
,, and BW mommy
Socalwahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMDocsLady View Post
DANG IT! Just typed a long response and then it wouldn't post.

OK we lived on Kam Highway next to the Stadium so most of our regular places are near there:
Best Pizza - Boston Pizza
Best "Diner" - toss up between Big City Diner and Anna Miller's
Down to Earth also has a store on Kam below Pearl Ridge Plaza across from Anna Miller's
Best Thai - toss up - Opal's Truck in Haleiwa or Soulvey on Kam across from Long's/Zippy's
Best Farmers Market - Haleiwa 9a-1p Sunday (eat bruch there!!!!)
Best Shrimp Truck - Macky's in Haleiwa - Ewa side of town next to the traffic circle - get the Coconut Shrimp
Best Burger - hands down Kiawe Grill on Kam near Anna Miller's
Best Thrift Store - Goodwill on Kam
Best Drive In - Toss up - Rainbow Drive In (in town) or Byron's in front of the airport
Best Kine Supermarket - Safeway - use the store card and preload it with coupons from home online - awesome deals!
Best Fish - Nicco's Pier 38
Best Huli Huli Chicken - the place on Nimitz before Flora Dec - only open weekends....
Best Whale Watching - the park in front of the Children's Discovery Center or Makapu'u Lighthouse. (Makapu'u hike is all paved, but steep.) (Children's Discovery Center is small but fun once every other month or so if it is raining out)

Definately check out BabyAwearness in Manoa. Amazing group of people with great connections.
Also check out the Babywearers meetup that happens the 3rd tuesday of the month at the Caitlin Community center. GREAT mama's with tons to share. We used to go every month then I had YDD and her Dr appointments always happened ast the same time as the meet up.
Bostons pizza is delish! Ive been craving pizza ever since! Also stumbled in to Rainbow drive in, yum!

I was a little disappointed with the haleiwa farmers market. Scored some delicious blueberry banana jam it was fun to people watch and all but I was hoping for more fruits and veggies. Is there another somewhere with more produce?

Can anyone recommend a good hair person? Im a bottle blonde and need help!
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Let me just say that I'm here in HI visiting dd right now, and coming back August 1 for 2 months. We have been doing some stuff!

The farmers market at Kapiolani CC is AMAZING!! It is Saturday mornings. I was impressed with the variety, and amount, of offerings. We are going again this Saturday, and we WILL eat there!

Anna Millers really is good for pretty normal diner food. Large portions. Great prices.

Boston's = amazing! Dd and I shared one piece and it was really enough food. Made for a good, cheap meal!

We had some awesome Greek food at The Big Fat Greek around Waikiki. It was some of the best Greek I've had.

Manabu's down on King has killer Musubi! I WILL go back before I leave. 2 - 3 pcs is all u need and it's under $5 for 3. LOVED the one with the lite Teriyaki spam, and I don't eat spam.

We are hitting shrimp trucks this week, Nico's at Pier 38 Tuesday, a recommended Mexican place later in the week, and hopefully we will get to one other place from the list.

Clearly I'm letting my vegan slide to try a few things, but it's such fun! With all the awesome fresh stuff around, I'll do much better next time.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #17
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh yeah, Down to Earth is awesome, but their prices make Whole Foods look cheap! Farmers market is a much better option!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #18
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

IMO Skip the mexican food, Ive been seriously disappointed by everywhere Ive been to so far and Ive hit all the recommended spots. Theres too many really great places to waste time on just ok food. Hawaii just doesnt do mexican right and its very overpriced for what it is, Again just MHO.

Nico's I highly recommend the swordfish!!! Ive had it twice and have been thinking about it nonstop I think im addicted, kids had fish(mahi) and chips and DH got the marlin burger. Everything is amazing for the price. Saturday they have live music outside but they close at 2 or something really early, 5 on weekdays. Make sure you go early because they do run out of the good stuff.

I like the Hukilau cafe too but its kind of far from downtown. if your looking for hawaiian comfort food this is it as far as im concerned.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #19
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What Mexican places have you tried? What area do you live in? My dd is pretty much in Aiea. (?sp)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #20
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny View Post
What Mexican places have you tried? What area do you live in? My dd is pretty much in Aiea. (?sp)
Thats exactly where I am too. Lets see...Ive tried Cholo's, Just Tacos, El Charro, El Mariachi plus a few others I cant remember the names of right now. None were worth recommending or going back to. Ive been on a very serious mission for decent mexican being from So Cal Im probably much more picky about what I consider mexican food.

Hukilau is up past the polynesian cultural center but before you get to giovannis shrimp truck if your driving over through Kaneohe and around.

Last edited by ittybittycoconuts; 05-30-2011 at 12:55 PM.