Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did you regret NOT extended bfing?

I am sort of looking forward to ds independance from my boob. He only really nurses like 4 times a day (he is 11mo). I dont see myself doing it when he is like 2 years old, but I just wonder if setting the goal around 12 months feels right to me. Has anyone here stopped around 12 months and regretted it? Whether you stop at 12 months or 3 years, is it still sort of sad?

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you regret NOT extended bfing?

Kolten is 22 mos and still nursing. When he was 11 mos, he was the same way, only nursing a few times a day. I guess he was just so "busy" playing and doing other things. I said the same thing you just said....but here we are, almost a year later and still nursing. I do NOT look forward to him weaning, just because its our time together. I'm thinking he'll wean this summer sometime and I'm sure it'll be bittersweet. You do what you feel is right for you and your babe. We are self-weaning so he will wean when he's ready.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
ocanfield
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter actually self-weaning a week after her one year birthday. I wasn't planning on going way past that, but she gave it up on her own, so that made me feel a little better about not having it there anymore. I do know a mom that is tandem nursing her 19 month old and 8 month old...and she plans on going as long as they want it...so it is possible to keep going if you want to! Personally...breastfeeding was a struggle at times...and I almost gave up a few times, but glad I stuck with it for the full year. Do it as long as you feel comfortable!

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me, it hasnt been a super struggle, but just inconvenient sometimes. I have basically been confined to a schedule, I have not been able to go out at night for 11 months. Not that I want to go party all night or anything, It would just be nice to be able to go to a theme park with a friend all day, or one of dh's concerts. I dont like to pump, I havent done it in about 6 months. I think we will be ready soon, he is showing lack of interest. He only likes to nurse before it is time to go to sleep.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS who is almost 3 still nurses ... alot! As does my DD who is 14months! Though I have found that after a year you arent tied to certain times for nursing. We can go out all day and only my DD will nurse a few times DS wont (actually a few times DD hasnt nursed while out)

Anyway, after a year it gets better & I will be so sad when my babies wean because I just feel its such a special time

GL & a year BFing is AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
hd_darcy
Registered Users
seller

I nursed my first son until he was 3. He self-weaned completely on his own, and I was very ready for him to do so.. My goal and what I believe in is to let them have it for as long as they want.

I tandemed him and my youngest for 6 months. So, now my youngest is turning 2 next month. He had himself almost completely weaned and I wasn't okay with it BECAUSE he was/is still using a Nuk. I decided to pull the Nuk now while he still has breastfeeding to fall back on. He hasn't had the Nuk since Tuesday night and is doing fine. However, I am 21 weeks pregnant now again and I have the SOREST boobs in the world..ugh.. (he's been nursing a lot since he doesn't have the Nuk) I'm hoping he slows down the nursing again a bit. But, I'm okay if he doesn't wean for awhile. He's not a strong nurser, and I know how beneficial it is for him. I like to not have to decide for them when they are done as well Leave that important decision in their hands

Anyway, it is a very special time, and I can't imagine not having to extend-nurse them. Honestly, sometimes mothering is "easier" when you have the magic potion to make them feel better

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Darcy
hd_darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest self weaned at 15 months and I was sad.
I weaned my middle son at 15 months (I wanted to ttc and didn't want to bf and be pg- selfish huh? I know better now) and I totally regret it- I don't think he was ready and just because my older son was ready at that age doesn't mean my second was.
My youngest is almost 20 months and he nurses right before bed and about 6am- the early morning feeding I could really do without but I'm fairly certain this will be the one he won't give up for quite a while. His evening nursing is half hearted and distracted and maybe just part of his bedtime routine like a short cuddle but his morning nursing he is drowsey and wakes up for a snack and wants to go back to sleep- he nurses really well and passes back out. I will nurse him until he self weans and he isn't showing sign of it at all.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I weaned dd 2 weeks before her 2nd birthday and never felt the least bit sad about it. I loved nursing her but I was done. She didn't mind weaning either. She was down to once a day and didn't really nurse but didn't really know how to stop either. So when I distracted her she rolled over and went to sleep without a single protest and never asked again.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS self weaned a couple days after his first birthday and I was devastated. I tried sooo hard to coax him back, but nothing helped. I pumped for over 3 weeks and kept offering, (in case it was a strike or teething pain) but he would get so mad every time he saw the boob. He would even try to bite, he was really done lol. Personally I would give anything to have him still nursing, but I know that if he doesn't want it it takes 2 to make it work. I do miss it, and was hoping to make it a minimum of 18m, hopefully 2 years. Now I guess I'll just have to have another one and try again
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Well since I know now that if my daughter so-called "self-weaned" before the age of two (approx) that it would most likely be a nursing strike or due to outside influences (bottles, too much food, liquids, seperation from mama, etc), I would definately not be comfortable stopping at 12 months.
Lately I admit that I'm not wild about nursing...its just a phase I am going through, but I do it because I believe that babies need breastmilk for 2 years minimum. Whether I like it or not, I will do it for her because I believe it really helps her health. We know that babies nursed to 2 years or more have a way lower rate of obesity, and other health problems, and I feel that because I brought her into the world it is my responsibility to give that to her.
Just my .02 cents.