Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
targhee
Registered Users

Re: Did you regret NOT extended bfing?

DC #1 stopped at 12 months, and DC #2 at 10 months (self-directed). I didn't regret it at all (except for maybe the ability to eat more calories in the day). I am planning on the same thing with DC #3, but we'll see when we get there (she's only 10 days old).

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

well, my dd is 15 months old and nursing ALL.THE.TIME. It would be a hige struggle to wean right now. I say don't worry about it and just follow your child's lead. THey may not be anywhere near wanting to wean at 12 months and it may not be worth the struggle. DD's actually been driving me nuts lately - she wants to nurse every 30 minutes this week, probably b/c we're away from home and it makes her feel secure. But there are big benefits to extended nursing. Check out "Mothering your nursing toddler".
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish I would have stuck with it.. I got my boy off at 14 mths... and it killed me.. my dd did by herself.. after her birthday ..and william can till he stops
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

my dd is 17mths old and doesn't nurse during the day, just when it's bed time, in the morning and when she gets a booboo LOL but it's nothing to me, it's second nature. I mean she lets dh rock her at night and she won't nurse, or if he rocks her for a nap she won't nurse, and if she stays with my mil she doesn't nurse so i mean we just do it b/c it's our bond, and it's healthy for her
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 mostly day weaned @ 12 mo & fully weaned at 18 mos. I was SO ready to be done at a yr, but he wasn't. I don't regret any of it
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
2Boys1Girl4Me
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Now that I've nursed my DD for 21 months with her showing no signs of stopping, I wish that 1.) I'd been able to nurse my oldest DS successfully and 2.) that my 2nd DS hadn't self weaned at the beginning of my pregnancy with DD at about 16 months old. So yes, I do regret not BFing longer with my first two.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #17
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

Every dynamic is different and people have their own reasons for doing things or not doing things. Just do what's best for your family and have no regrets.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I havent read all the other posts, but around 13 months old my dd MAJORLY slowed down. Every morning we nurse...but then we only nurse 1 or 2 times the rest of the day. I offer her the breast more but she doesnt want it. I honestly think that if I stopped now I would feel totally guilty, but at the same time I know that's ridiculous because I have nursed for 14 1/2 months and done an amazing job! But still...I won't be stopping anytime soon.

ETA I forgot to mention, BEFORE the slow down we were nursing all day and all night. I could not leave her for a half hour for fear she would need to nurse.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #19
o3b
Registered Users

I think if you are ready and your baby is ready, then it's OK. You might be sad, but it's the bittersweet kind.

I tried to wean ds1 at 13 months, but I wasn't convinced it was time and he let me know he wan't convinced at all. All my kids went to about 19 months (and oddly my friend's kids did, too - and we did not know each other then). But after 1yr old, it was a slow weaning process to just at bedtime for the last 2 months or so.

You know, if you want to go out for the evening and you think your child will be OK (i.e. not severely distressed) - and he likely will be - you can miss a night and see how it goes. When I tried at 13 months, ds nursed *very* little over three days - but things picked right back up when I realized it wasn't time after all.

Best wishes for you and I know you'll make the decision that's right for both of you!
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I weaned my DS when I was about 3 months pregnant with DS2. I have a history of premature labor, so didn't want to risk anything happening. He was 17 months at the time and by the time he was 18 months, he was completely weaned. I think once I stopped offering it to him, he was fine. I don't remember having one struggle with him to not nurse, and I'm thankful for that.

What's odd is that I couldn't see myself nursing DS at his age now (29 mos) but could totally nurse DS2 until then, with no second thoughts. (except for the scratching, biting, and pulling he loves to do.)

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote