Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
ks20740
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Co-Sleeping Question

I have a co-sleeping question. I have been reading a lot lately that is supportive of safe co-sleeping habits with a little one who is nursing. I am due to have a baby in 2-3 weeks and am planning on doing this since I will be nursing her. HOWEVER, here is the caveat...my 2 year old already sleeps in our king size bed with my husband and myself and we have had a heck of a time trying to get him to stay in his own bed in preparation for this. So...my question is this...is there anyone out there that co-sleeps with a new baby AND an older child? If so, how? It makes me a little nervous, to be honest, to have another body besides my husband, new baby, and me in the same bed. I DO have a bassinet (sp?) that I'm planning on having right by my side, but I'm afraid she'll prefer sleeping with us like her brother did. Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice!!!

Advertisement

ks20740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Co-Sleeping Question

We do! I tried to get ds into his own bed before dd was born, but he wasn't ready. Since then ds has spurts where he'll want to sleep in his own bed, but mostly he sleeps with us. Right now we have four in our bed and we'll be co-sleeping with a nb in about a month or so. It's going to be five in our bed now. Neither dd nor ds are ready to transition into their bed. I'm not sure of the logistics yet, but adding dd was not an issue so I hope this time goes just as smoothly.

*One thing I insisted on earlier with dd was that we moved the mattress to the floor when she was about 4 months old and it's still there. It makes it easier for me to roll in and out without waking her up.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we co-slept with two, though not on a king - we had a double bed when it was just my son but a month or two before my daughter was born, we got another double bed for more space and set them up next to each other. I just always made sure that my newborn was always on one side of me and my toddler was on the other (or on one of the beds "by himself") and was very protective of my newborn. They are 2 and 1 now and we still all sleep together, but now that my daughter isn't so tiny, they often sleep next to each other on one bed.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

We had a queen size bed when DD2 was born. I would just keep my arm around the baby so she wouldn't catch any flailing limbs from DD1! We did move DD1 out of the bed a month or so later, into her own room. It was a very easy transition.

Same thing when DS came along--DD2 was still in bed with us at that point. She ended up moving into her sister's room (on her own, with no pushing on our part) a month or so later.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
theprofessionalbaby
Registered Users

Yes, we did, and now my husband is deployed, I still do. I was scared to death too initially. The first month or two my oldest, then 18 months, was only there sometimes. I was always between the two. We bought a guard rail too for my side where the baby was. When my youngest began being very active, we moved the mattress to the floor. I no longer worry. My toddler is a heavy, still sleeper, and my baby a very light sleeper. If anyone rolls on anyone, it will be my baby on my toddler - that has happened before. You will know your kids and what works best.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My good friend has always done this with her two boys. Mom and Dad in the middle, toddler on outside of Dad and baby on outside of Mom. They have two mattresses pushed together. So getting another large mattress could work. DH and toddler on one mattress and you and baby on the other. But still close.

Or you could put your toddlers bed in your room or side car a crib/bed, and have the baby in your bed, because I'm sure you and your baby are going to constantly fall back asleep while nursing in bed. (We do! lol)

I wouldn't worry too much until you meet your baby. Personality determines alot!!
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
tara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 4 in a queen size bed. As I'm laying here it's (L to R) Dad, DD2, Me, DS and our Golden Retriever at my feet. I have a cosleeper hooked up to my side, no one sleeps in it though. When I switch spots with DS I, like an aurora, keep my arm around him. Yesterday I woke up to DD1 against my back to we occasionally have 5. DD2 is 2 and DS is 10 weeks. I would imagine she will prefer sleeping with you...who wants to sleep alone ?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have a snuggle nest that we sometimes use at night. Ds doesn't sleep with us all night he wakes up and comes in around 5 am, they sleep on either side of me.

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did it for awhile with a queen, but it was not fun. Dh is just too big and then ds would toss and turn. We got a king size bed( we have wanted one for years) and DH got that and the kids and I slept on the queen in a different room.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
theprofessionalbaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
We have 4 in a queen size bed. As I'm laying here it's (L to R) Dad, DD2, Me, DS and our Golden Retriever at my feet. I have a cosleeper hooked up to my side, no one sleeps in it though. When I switch spots with DS I, like an aurora, keep my arm around him. Yesterday I woke up to DD1 against my back to we occasionally have 5. DD2 is 2 and DS is 10 weeks. I would imagine she will prefer sleeping with you...who wants to sleep alone ?
This image sure made me smile! It reminded me of our bed before some night, before my husband deployed. Just substitute the dog with a cat.