Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #21
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Re: S/O- more questions for mamas with lots of kiddos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabug View Post
Well, we raise our own beef, so I don't buy any meat. In the summer I have a large garden and I do a LOT of canning. I shop at Aldi, which I think helps a lot! I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning...lots cheaper than commercial cleaners and much safer, too! Can't think of anything else right now!
ok i think you need to make a how to shop thrifty thread and then have them make it a sticky!!!!
LOL

Advertisement

Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #22
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O- more questions for mamas with lots of kiddos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
yes I need to know this too...lol
I shop very frugal and cannot do that!!!
We are pretty thrifty too, make our own laundry soap, use a enviro friendly concentrated cleaner for anything all purpose that goes a LONG way, etc....

However, I have really tried to get our grocery budget down but I still insist on high quality foods for our family.

We don't, for the most part, eat prepackaged foods. My husband can't stand NOT getting stove top stuffing LOL!!

We buy lots and lots of fresh veggies, but this summer we are finally having a garden. It's a bit more difficult in the desert but we are trying

When I started working on our grocery budget I realized my goal shouldn't be decreasing the amount of money we were spending, since it wasn't hurting us, but replacing lesser quality foods with higher quality foods without spending more. We have been able to switch to a lot of organics and fresh foods because of the other places we cut back...

I would love to see everyone's actual list of what they get for what they spend. That would be really cool!
MelissaCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #23
mommabug42006
Registered Users
seller

How big are your houses? 1700 sqft
How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms the kids share a bathroom and we have a private bath in the master bedroom
Do DC share bedrooms? Yes the boys have a set of bunkbeds and on the girls room it is the crib and a twin (however all the DC slep in the livingroom
What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? right now we have a ford windstar after this baby is born we will to full capacity unless we get another bench seat for the middle row
How much do you spend on groceries a month? For how many? about $300 for all 6 of us but that includes trash bags, frezer paper ect ect ect. We also shop at a wholesale club
Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #24
MyCrazy8
Registered Users
Formerly: momto6
seller

My Mood:

How big are your houses? 2432 sq. ft

How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 4bed/2bath

Do DC share bedrooms? Yes, oldest has his own, then the other 2 boys share, then the girls share

What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? We have a Oldsmoblile Silhouette that seats 8

How much do you spend on groceries a month? For how many? Approx. $300/mo. for our family of 8. I make a lot of things from scratch, I get lots of eggs & veggies from my mom for free, but we are on WIC too, which helps for milk.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #25
OnlyWomanInTheHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
seller

My Mood:

ITA about the $200 a month grocery's thing! WOW! DS doesn't eat much, and me and DF spend about $300 a month (we're budgeted up to $400 just in case), and it's just us! However, this includes everything else (shampoo, soap, dryer sheets, ).

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #26
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I dont' know exaclty how big the house is but I know it's over 2200 sq ft. We have 4 bdrm, 2.5 bths. Yes, the kids share rooms. 2 boys in one room, 2 boys in another room, 2 girls in another room. We are planning on adding 2 more bedrooms in the basement over time but they will be for an office for dh and the other will mostly be for when guests come. We drive a 12 passenger van and a toyota corolla. Grocery budget is over $500 per month. Not totally sure yet. We recently moved and food prices vary widely in different areas so it's hard to tell what it will be based on where someone else lives or where you lived before.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #27
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How big are your houses? Well I only have one. Its about 1100 sqft which is WAY too small for us but fortunatly we have a nice backyard and prior to #5 I worked FT so it wasn't too bad.
How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 3bdrs 1 bath Definatly need a bigger house, we're thinking this summer! Anything as long as its 2+ baths and a bigger dining room.
Do DC share bedrooms? Yep! The twins have 1 room w/ bunk beds and then the LOs share a room w/ 1 bunk bed and 1 crib. Obviously we have the master bedroom. LOL
What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey which seats 8. I've packed it full MANY times!! Gotta love it!
How much do you spend on groceries a month? For how many? For 7 ppl we spend about $800-1000 per month. We also qualify for WIC and that really helps. We usually do a big shop at Costco once a month (more if money permits!) and then weekly at a local grocery store.

We would love to have #6, but I just don't know 100% that I can do all that I do which is NOT enough IMO and care for a new baby. I mean, we would LOVE another baby. I didn't CD a newborn, I have had BFing issues so I would really like another chance at that, we'd love to try a homebirth! These are all selfish reasons to accomidate MY desires so its not a major priority right now. Later on, when the kids are a little more independant instead totally dependant, then we'll talk. I have a Mirena IUD w/ 4yrs left so we'll re-evaluate things when I'm around 30. Obviously we'd like a bigger house, but Northern CA (or CA in general!) is super expensive and we couldn't get a house for less than $350,000 right now. We definatly couldn't get a 4 brdm for less than $450,000! A lot of newer houses are like $750,000 and upwards! My g-pa offered us $5000 if we buy a house which is totally awesome but wouldn't even touch what we'd need for a down on a loan like that not to mention the payment. $3000-4000/mo is insane!! Anyway, if we could rent a 4bdrm that would be ideal but its not too often that one shows up in the area we're looking to move to. And personally, I would love to move out of state to a cheaper neck of the woods (I like Texas!) and things would be a lot better. Dh is an electrician so he can work almost anywhere! If we did that and are BUYING a 4bdrm house we'd definatly have #6!!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #28
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is an awesome thread.

I'd love to know more about how you guys save $ on groceries!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #29
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How big are your houses? approx 2500sq ft of finished space
How many bedrooms & bathrooms? 4br (3 on second floor, attic finished into master suite), 2.25 bathrooms (.5 on first floor, full bath on second floor, .75 on third floor)
Do DC share bedrooms? Yep. All the boys are in one room, Ellie is in ours till she starts sleeping better in her crib - then it will be older two in one room, younger two in another.
What kind of vehicles do you have to seat everyone? Toyota Sienna
How much do you spend on groceries a month? For how many? approx $500-600/mo for just food for 6 people.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #30
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you get a large freezer and buy your meat by the 1/4, 1/2 and whole cow/pig it can really save you money as it is cheaper per pound. We used to raise our own pork and it would save us a bundle. Buying in bag-your-own food type of stores will save a lot as well, off brand items, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegans_mommy View Post
I'd love to not have to buy meat! It's the most expensive thing on the grocery list!!!!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote