Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
swimming47
Registered Users
seller

Hotel Travel w/CDs ?

We are flying to CO in May for 5 days and I would love to bring our CDs with us since they contain everything so much better than disposables but my concern is washing them. We only use pockets during the day and prefolds at night. Buying new diapers is not in the picture. Would you use the hotel machine to wash them one or two times when you are away? We use tide if that makes any difference.

Advertisement

swimming47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I would and have washed diapers on vacation, but I wouldn't use the drier just in case. If it's on the fritz and runs too hot it could easily ruin your diapers.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hotel Travel w/CDs ?

I just came back from a week away- we washed once in the hotel and once at a friend's house and I used the dryer in both places. I brought prefolds, all my covers, and did up PFs in grovia shells as mock 'AIOs' for the diaper bag, it worked brilliantly. I was really glad I didn't bring my BGEs because the drying time would have been insane.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:

I take my diapers if I will not be gone long enough to need to wash them, but not if I have to rely on a hotel washer, for a couple of reasons -- one, In my experience, hotel washers are not always of the sort that will actually get your diapers clean (last time I tried it I ended up with smelly diapers even after running them twice as long as I normally do, and I never have smelly diapers), and two, honestly, on vacation, I find it hard to plan to be at the hotel for a long enough, predictable block of time to do diapers. So for longer hotel-based trips, I use disposables.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Kennoahy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am on day four ina hotel with CD. We will head home tomorrow. I have not washes. We took prefold and covers only. They will be the easiest to clean when we get home. We bhave used two dozen ond have 8 pockets. Wing my planet wise large wet bag and its not full yet. This is for my two year old
Kennoahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
days_fly_by
Registered Users

My Mood:

I always bring all our cloth along on trips. They are part of the family, . I've washed at various homes, hotels, but my favorite is the laundromat. I know, I'm weird, but I like to just use the big 'heavy duty' machines and get it all done in one shot.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Aidensmommalove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by days_fly_by
I always bring all our cloth along on trips. They are part of the family, . I've washed at various homes, hotels, but my favorite is the laundromat. I know, I'm weird, but I like to just use the big 'heavy duty' machines and get it all done in one shot.
I' actually considering bringing my diapers so I can strip them in the huge heavy duty machines. Mostly for stripping my microfiber inserts
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
swimming47
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by days_fly_by View Post
That's a good idea! Leave DH with both kids while they nap. Hopefully we can fit them with 2 in diapers (we are flying). Heck, I will sacrifice some of my suitcase room for them since we won't need as many changes of clothes.

Thanks everyone for the responses!
swimming47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
LilRedRooster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay for flying to CO! It's a cool state.

And I've done the hotel/traveling cloth diaper fun. I prefer to take prefolds and covers on trips, because I've even washed them in the sink, if need be, and then hung them on a foldable drying rack in the window afterwards. Worked like a charm, and I found it was much easier than trying to wash pockets by hand. I've used a laundromat as well, and didn't have a problem, I just budgeted diaper time into the equation.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
mama2LEW
Registered Users
seller

Location: Somewhere in the middle, under piles of books, laundry, and kids!
My Mood:

Not to be a downer but we just got back from a hotel/resort stay that had washers and they didn't come clean in one wash and a bunch of them got delaminated! And it was from the wash machine, not the dryer. Dh and I were both shocked. He said I can buy some new ones but still i feel like we wasted those other diapers. From now on we will bring disposables on vacation.