Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
polkadotz
Registered Users
seller

bumgenius 4.0 questions

Hi Mamas! I just got some bumgenius 4.0's and I was wondering if you have to do the 6 washes with the dark colored diapers beforehand? Just wondering if that's really necessary. Also, what are you stuffing your pockets with? I have some prefolds that I was going to try, but would like something trim and absorbent. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

polkadotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: bumgenius 4.0 questions

BG 4.0's are synthetic fibers so you only need to wash them once. The 6 wash prep thing is for natural fibers like the cotton that is found in the BG Elementals. We stuff our pockets with trifolded prefolds or hemp Joey Bunz inserts. The Joey Bunz inserts are TRIM!
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
gypsykutz
Registered Users

I stuff mine with a hemp/microfiber insert (2 layers of each fabric). The microfiber absorbs quickly, but the hemp absorbs alot more. Very trim!
gypsykutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
BG 4.0's are synthetic fibers so you only need to wash them once. The 6 wash prep thing is for natural fibers like the cotton that is found in the BG Elementals. We stuff our pockets with trifolded prefolds or hemp Joey Bunz inserts. The Joey Bunz inserts are TRIM!
I believe she is talking about the brights. The diaper comes with a little sticker that says wash 6 times separately. It has to do with color bleeding. I'm not sure how true it is that they would need 6 washes, but I would love to hear from other mamas as to what their experience was with the brights.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
polkadotz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
O okay, but for some reason, only some of the diapers (the dark colored ones) have a sticker that says i need to wash them 6 times before using them, is that so the color doesn't run?

Are the trifolded prefolds pretty trim?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalyer View Post
I believe she is talking about the brights. The diaper comes with a little sticker that says wash 6 times separately. It has to do with color bleeding. I'm not sure how true it is that they would need 6 washes, but I would love to hear from other mamas as to what their experience was with the brights.
Oh.

I've never washed our brights separately or any more than usual. Never had bleeding.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotz View Post
O okay, but for some reason, only some of the diapers (the dark colored ones) have a sticker that says i need to wash them 6 times before using them, is that so the color doesn't run?

Are the trifolded prefolds pretty trim?
Apparently it's so the color doesn't run but that's never happened to our brights and I don't wash them separately or any more than I do the others. I have never even paid attention to that and I've bought so many BG's ha. The trifolded prefolds aren't super trim but they look about the same as the microfiber inserts that come with the diapers.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never done the 6 wash prep with my brights, and haven't had a problem, though I have heard a few stories about pinks running onto other diapers.

I stuff them with the inserts they came with--still holding strong after over 2.5 years of use!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
polkadotz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsykutz View Post
I stuff mine with a hemp/microfiber insert (2 layers of each fabric). The microfiber absorbs quickly, but the hemp absorbs alot more. Very trim!
Do you use this for daytime use? Do you need to do the two layers? (microfiber and hemp?) or can you just use hemp?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
polkadotz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Apparently it's so the color doesn't run but that's never happened to our brights and I don't wash them separately or any more than I do the others. I have never even paid attention to that and I've bought so many BG's ha. The trifolded prefolds aren't super trim but they look about the same as the microfiber inserts that come with the diapers.
O okay! thanks!