Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Uh, what just happened? PUL not working?

DS was wearing a BGE, just peed (he tells me when he goes) and afterward he was totally wet. All over, not just at the legs or waist. His pants and legs were soaked. I changed him and the entire diaper on the outside was wet. As if the PUL just wasn't even there. What is going on? I've never had this happen before. Is the PUL dead? Is it a fluke? Help!

Advertisement

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Uh, what just happened? PUL not working?

This happened to a FB of mine. In my case, it ended up being a PUL fail. Perhaps try stripping it to see if that helps, and contact cotton babies if you're within your 1 year warranty.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That has happened to me when the diaper was too wet after a long car ride, it just went right through the pul, but otherwise it worked fine.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wash it and dry it, then do a water test. You should be able to see if it's repelling or if the PUL is shot by doing that.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the diaper is soaked, it can leak through the PUL.

This happened to me enough times with DS that I just decided to potty train him. He would hold it for a few hours and then flood, and it would leak through PUL, but there was nothing wrong with the cover.

I thought I would be sad about taking him out of diapers, but I got over it quickly! If your DS is telling you when he goes he might train faster than you think.

ETA: Not that I'm telling you what to do about potty training! Just telling what happened with us.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Kayla1981
Registered Users
seller

I know my DD diaper leaked once during a nap and the whole front of her pants were wet by the time I got her up. It wasn't that it went through the PUL, but that the pants just soaked it up and traveled quite a ways! Maybe that is what happened? It leaked (maybe repelled?) and the pants just soaked it up?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
If the diaper is soaked, it can leak through the PUL.

This happened to me enough times with DS that I just decided to potty train him. He would hold it for a few hours and then flood, and it would leak through PUL, but there was nothing wrong with the cover.

I thought I would be sad about taking him out of diapers, but I got over it quickly! If your DS is telling you when he goes he might train faster than you think.

ETA: Not that I'm telling you what to do about potty training! Just telling what happened with us.
ITA about the PLing, he knows when he goes, but he freaks out if I suggest sitting on the potty. He CAN go when he sits on the potty too, he just doesn't like the potty most of the time. I'm pg, due in a couple of months, and I honestly don't feel like making a HUGE effort with PLing just because I think he *may* regress when the newb comes.

It's possible that he just flooded the diaper, I guess. I don't think there was a lot of time for the wicking to occur, but maybe he just peed a ton and it couldn't handle it. Good thing we were home!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

Sounds like flooding to me. Toddler bladders can be pretty big and easily overwhelm a diaper. We only used BGE's and it happened to us several times. There is only so much a diaper can do when a toddler unleashes...ha ha. There was never anything wrong with any of our diapers. I don't think it was wicking...just flooding.
ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
rmsochor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

sounds like an overflow - he probably held it a while and then just SOAKED it. My DS (same age as yours!) does this overnight almost every night (unless we use wool covers) and I know my diapers aren't repelling and the PUL is fine. Also - is it possible he needs a longer rise - maybe he had a growth spurt and now the diaper isn't coming up high enough and he's soaking out the top of the diaper, then it's running down into pants and over the dipe. Just a thought!

I TOTALLY understand about not wanting to push training. I also am due in a few months 6/26th (and my name is Rachel - small world, eh?) and I feel the same way about regressing and all that. Plus, my DS HATES the toilet (mainly he hates to sit on something that cold.....haha). I'm thinking a better potty chair is going to have to go in the budget.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
cemetree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow View Post
ITA about the PLing, he knows when he goes, but he freaks out if I suggest sitting on the potty. He CAN go when he sits on the potty too, he just doesn't like the potty most of the time. I'm pg, due in a couple of months, and I honestly don't feel like making a HUGE effort with PLing just because I think he *may* regress when the newb comes.

It's possible that he just flooded the diaper, I guess. I don't think there was a lot of time for the wicking to occur, but maybe he just peed a ton and it couldn't handle it. Good thing we were home!
maybe it could not absorb fast enough. it has happened to my son before...
cemetree is offline   Reply With Quote