Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Registered Users
Talk to me about wool!

I am fairly new to cd'ing. I have usually just used flats and prefolds with covers. Now, I'm venturing out into more variety! So fun!!!

I have a good friend that knits very well. And I've seen tons of pics of the longies and soakers and she is thrilled to knit for me. So where should I start? My daughter is 10 weeks old.

What do you like about your longies and soakers? Give me the low down on wool!

princessgirl409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about wool!

Like you, I also started with prefolds and covers. I decided to try wool when the weather was starting to warm up, and I felt that a breathable cover would be better for my super sweaty DS (it gets to be well into the 100's where we live). He was so much more comfy in wool. We've started with wool wraps because I was used to the whole wrap-style cover, but then soon discovered the convenience of a pull-on cover -- great for when your baby gets super squirmy and you have like 2.5 seconds to get the cover on as they are flipping and crawling away...

What do I love about wool?
- BREATHABILITY! (i.e. comfort)
- it doubles as clothing, so it saves me a step to put pants on DS. you can also use wool under clothing, but I prefer to use it as clothing because it is so cute!
- you don't have to wash it very often, and when you do, I love the yummy wool wash scents!
- I love that you can use it over and over again without it getting stinky. We easily go >1 month without washing, at least for our indoor-use wool.
- I love pull-on covers/longies/shorties that are stretchy because they're easy to get on, and accommodate my toddler's climbing/rolling/dancing crazy activities. Way better than wearing jeans...
- natural materials
- I like that soakers help hold the diaper snug, so you get fewer blowouts. I have had many a sloppy prefold-folding jobs, and a good fitting soaker will hold it all in (I mean, it might get on the wool cover, but it'll save your furniture, baby sling, carpet, etc).
Mama to 2 munchkins, loving wife to P , who supports me in all I do.
Thirsties, Niji cotton, wool wrap, Imse Vimse
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about wool!

Little leaf summed it up pretty nicely.
PUL is better the spoises yes but it doesnt breath. My son breaks out due to the wetness when he is in PUL but Wool works great!! It's warm in the winter and cool in the summer. We live in Florida and I was worried about the heat here. But so far no probs. Its a all natural material so I feel super good about using it for my son. They are so cute and I just all around feel good about using them! I have never been able to use wool under clothes though. would love to know the secret to that. The clothes seem to get alittle damp if over wool but I always use wool shorties or longies and then simple soakers while at home.
cloth diapering, PRO Bf'ing, Baby wearing, natural birthing, kinda co-sleeping, Baby ASL teaching, Future ERF'ing, tree hugging mama to Eryk, My little monkey!!(8-6-10) And have the best DH ever!! (6-21-07)
Nienna7477 is offline   Reply With Quote