Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If it's not your first birth...

so sorry mama!! I spent the majority of my time in the shower. The most painful part was that I didn't have anything but wet towels to kneel on! I bought a foam kneeler for this time. I went to 6 cm quickly, so they wouldn't let me get in the doggon tub; even though I was pushing for 4 hours w/no result.
I'm not concerned about the pain (even though they tried to turn him internally 1st w/out the epi!! ) I'm concerned about a repeat c/s. Esp after laboring for so long. It's soo hard to recover from!

Advertisement

E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never been induced so I can't say much for the. To quell some of your fears, though, my fattest newborn was my easiest delivery. Big babies are typically fatter and squishier. Small means more bony and painful.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I honestly dread my c-section....I would gladly have labor over a dose of knives anyday! But, that being said, I am preparing to make it the best experience possible, so I am hoping this time is going to be way easier than my last!!

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Both my labors were augmented and the second was still way easier than the first. The worst part was the drama surrounding the birth, before/during/after. The labor itself was not that bad.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was induced with DS (by having my water broken - how was your labor induced?) and although I don't have anything to compare it too, it was hard. It wasn't at all what I expected and we didn't end up going down the path we planned for our birth. This time I do feel more prepared, more excited, and less nervous and scared. I know I can get through it, and after the baby is here, I know I can be a good parent to him or her. We also hired a doula and I think it will be helpful to have an extra person there to encourage us and give us ideas to help alleviate pain and make decisions along the way.

Also, my DS was 9 lb. 4.8 oz. - again, I don't have anything to compare my experience to, but listening to other mama's stories, I don't think his size necessarily made things more difficult and I did not have much trauma afterwards. The main things I dealt with after the birth that were frustrating were related to the interventions I received during the birth, and not to the birth itself.

I hope things will go better for us this time - and I hope that you have a better experience too! I think you will.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyMama View Post
I honestly dread my c-section....I would gladly have labor over a dose of knives anyday! But, that being said, I am preparing to make it the best experience possible, so I am hoping this time is going to be way easier than my last!!
I'm sorry mama. I hope you have the best possible experience with your c-section, even though I know that is not what you want.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
I'm sorry mama. I hope you have the best possible experience with your c-section, even though I know that is not what you want.

Aww, thanks! Yeah, it's gonna be a PITT to go thru, but getting involved with a local ICAN chapter and educating myself really have made a difference.

I can't wait to read everyone's birth stories as they start rolling in, and seeing how everyone does with their deliveries....But I am betting that all us mamas are going to do way better than we are imagining now!!!

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

I've never experienced an induction myself, but I did photograph an induced birth last week and it was way, way worse than my experience with DD. It totally re-confirmed for me that I am not crazy for wanting natural, birth center (or maybe even at home someday) births. Seriously, that birth was horrifying for both me and the mother. The only part that I am not looking forward to is the ring of fire, but I know that it will only last for a few seconds. I am so sorry that your labor and birth wasn't easier than it was. Hopefully this time everything will be much better.
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

One word about breaking the waters to induce... I am not going to say it never has a place, especially in a labor that is stalled out, but with my first I had it broken and after that is when labor really kicked in and HURT. With my second my water never broke, and when teh Dr. asked if I wanted it broke to 'speed things up" (remember I was only there for about 4-5 hours before she arrived) I declined. Labor was totally tollerable and I think having an intact bag of waters helped to cushion the cx. In the end I was ready to push without the water ever being broken! The Dr. tried to break it then, but her head was too far down, so she came out w/ a splash.

There are times when I do think breaking the water will speed things up or help get them started again if you are stalling out. I had mine broke w/ my twins as well and do not regret it, but I do think that any woman needs to know that breaking the water usually does make the cx. hurt a lot worse! If you don't want it broken, just tell them no. It might make labor a little big longer, but if it's easier it doesn't matter to me!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #20
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was induced at 10 days late because the dr.'s cited low fluid. I had a pit. drip, they broke my water, more pit. and I adamantly refused any sort of pain medication. The pain was unbelievable. It literally felt like a 5 ton concrete block was squishing my stomach. I couldn't do anything other than lie on the hospital bed and let the contractions wrack my body. I was crying, the contractions were causing me to pee on myself. I felt totally out of control and helpless.

With my son I was in active labor for several hours (it didn't feel like more than slight menstrual cramping) then my labor stopped for 7 days. When it started again I was in active labor for about 4 hours and the discomfort was intense but totally manageable through relaxation and breathing techniques. My water broke right before his head came out, and the most intense pain that I felt with his labor was when I got a hamstring cramp in the pool while he was crowning. And he was 11 lbs! A world away from the pitocin contractions. As soon as he was born, I was totally prepared to do it all over again.

I think the augmenting of my labor with my daughter was completely unnecessary, and the non-intervention birth of my son was exactly the way that mother nature has designed our bodies to give birth. (I know that not everyone will have the same experience, and I'm sensitive to our own personal choices and decisions, however.) Have you read any of Ina May Gaskin's birth books? They were amazing for my labor, and I can't say enough about how the "horse lips" technique worked for me!

Last edited by Aleesh_Mom; 03-29-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote